Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming of Age day or seijin no hi

Options
  • 14-01-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Today is the national holiday of seijin no hi or Coming of age in Japan. It is on this day that one would looks back on their childhood and takes the first steps in to adulthood. These steps can be by putting away a muched loved childhood toy, starting a new school, your very first job and paycheck, moving off of your parnets home and so on. You get the picture.

It is for anyone who has turned 20 since january last year as 20 is seen as the big step into adult hood in japan [as thats the legal age to vote, drink, etc etc]

So for all our boards folks who are 20 [or 20 at heart] what was your first step into adulthood?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Hot Dog

in true japenese fashion, I got fitted for a cyberbrain and also upgunned my mech with a quad autocannon. My first steps into a hostile robotic filled world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Lived in America for 6 months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Moved to college in a different county, taught myself to cook, became a vegetarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Signed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I'm 22 and a guy I used to see got engaged today.....Youth is over now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Got a pension. Well, that's when I realised I was no longer young/wasted my youth. *sniff*

Moved to college in a different county, taught myself to cook, became a vegetarian.

It's so much cheaper, isn't it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

went to live in amsterdam right after i turned 20 in october, just back last week :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 BOOBLESS

The positive pregnancy test my then girlfriend took. Very early 20's and it was that defining moment that my life stopped being my own. Made me grow up and get my **** e together, one more positive test since and I now have 2 kider-rinos.

Something like above either makes or breaks a guy, luckily it made me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

first leaving the family home at 16. lessons for life then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Wouldn't really consider it being until I got a proper job and stuck with it for a few years. Independance ftw!
    College was a total lunch-out:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's so much cheaper, isn't it? :)

Indeed it is. :)
    I even make cheap pizzas these days.

Advertisement