Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITouch? Questions!

Options
  • 14-01-2008 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭

I was planning on getting a cheap mp3 player and FM transmitter so I could listen to podcasts in my car but now ive done a bit of searching on the net Ive come across the ITouch and it looks very good!
    But its alot of money (student) and im wondering are the extra features worth it. Ive got wifi in my room so it would be handy to download music directly to it rather then from the pc upstairs.
    I read that there is a web browser in it, can you download podcasts directly from the net to it? And what about videos? Can you download videos off the net and watch them later?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

You can download music to it but only through the iTunes Store... handy though if you use it, just have to login with your email address and password and it's quick and easy.

There is a browser built in but you can't download podcasts with it, again you have to do this with your iTunes Store.

And again, you have to use iTunes Store on the iPod to download videos but they are not yet available to us here in Ireland.

Here's what I suggest...

1 - User your iTunes to scan for all your music on your PC and just add them to the Touch from there.

2 - Download the Podcasts in iTunes (or whatever source you have) and again, sync them to your iPod Touch.

3 - Download or rip the films yourself and use one of the many video converters to resize the videos to the iPod preferred size. A converter tool called Videora automatically converts your videos (after either adding them manually or using the DVD ripper included) and adds them to iTunes for easy syncing with your iPod.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Username! wrote: »
    You can download music to it but only through the iTunes Store... handy though if you use it, just have to login with your email address and password and it's quick and easy.
    Lucky you !
    I can't download from iTunes to my ipod Touch.

When entering a password, you only see stars in the dialog box.
    When typing upper or lower case on the iPod Touch, the display on the keyboard does not change, this is not a problem when say, searching for a site as you can see the output of what you are typing.
    But when you have no visual idea as to whether it's uppercase or lowercase, this is a major problem.
    Bottom line, if you have a complex password, it's near impossible to use any site which displays the input as stars.
    Worse, the iPod Touch will not remember any passwords, so you have to undergo this torture each and every time you try enter a complex password.

Needles to say, I gave up !

That aside, the iPod Touch is an awesome device, anybody that has seen it has drooled over it. I carry lot's of tissues :-)

How much are the 8gb & 16gb itouches in the shops? Is it cheaper to buy them online, and if so, where?
    Cheers

About €400 for the 16GB and €300 for the 8GB. Much cheaper online, check out eBay or just Google "cheap iPod Touch" and your bound to see results.

TIP: Wait until the end of the week, Macworld is on tomorrow and if a new iPod Touch size (hopefully 32GB and the unlikely 64GB) are released, the others should be cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

@ PaulieBoy, go to settings and turn off automatic caps lock and when you need to capital something just hit the shift key on the keyboard. it's pretty simple.

Any official iPod dealer will be selling them at the standard price of €300 and €400 other than that you might find one cheaper on eBay from American sellers. But as far as going to 32GB and 64GB, i highly doubt it. Possibly a 32GB one but not 64GB I think the 32GB flash drives have come down a good bit in price lately so maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    When typing upper or lower case on the iPod Touch, the display on the keyboard does not change...

Doesn't the shift key "light up" so to speak when upper case is on?

Ciarán.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Also in relation to the original post, there's a YouTube application included which allows you to download videos over WiFi from YouTube. Plus you can hack the iPod touch using "jailbreak" which then gives you access to loads more applications.

Ciarán.

I think im going to wait to see if they are bringing out a bigger capacity itouch. €400 is alot for only 16gb, esp when you can get 160gb for cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

totally different ball game, the price is justified i thinks.

it's flash based, which is a hell of a lot more expensive to produce, whereas the 160gigs will be hard drive based which can break with the tinyiest of drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Will we be ever allowed to get movies into the Irish itunes store, I see you can do it from the USA store??

US get everything first because Apple are a US based company and are happy enough to get a strong foothold over there before moving to Europe, etc. So yes eventually you will be able to download, tv shows, movies, rent movies, etc but i wouldn't hold my breath on how long it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

i have an itouch and i'm seriously losing the rag with it. a lot of this is down to my lack of knowledge on all things technology based. Anyway, i'm trying to get on to the internet with it, so i have gone into "Settings" then "Wi-Fi"
    Then under the option Choose a network a few different options come up for eircom such as "eircom5261 6600"
    from looking at the link i have to check your wireless ID i can see it is "eircom2357 7154"

So i need to know, first of all, do i just typ my encryption key (which i presume is the p[assword ??) into any of the eircom networks coming up or what do i do ??
    i did try this option and nothing seemed to happen??
    please help, you may be saving an itouch from getting thrown out my window

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

miller82 wrote: »
    i have an itouch and i'm seriously losing the rag with it. a lot of this is down to my lack of knowledge on all things technology based. Anyway, i'm trying to get on to the internet with it, so i have gone into "Settings" then "Wi-Fi"
    Then under the option Choose a network a few different options come up for eircom such as "eircom5261 6600"
    from looking at the link i have to check your wireless ID i can see it is "eircom2357 7154"

So i need to know, first of all, do i just typ my encryption key (which i presume is the p[assword ??) into any of the eircom networks coming up or what do i do ??
    i did try this option and nothing seemed to happen??
    please help, you may be saving an itouch from getting thrown out my window

I'd say there would be a lot of people outside your window waiting to catch it! AFAIK tap on "eircom 2357 7154" after which you should be asked for a password, then just input your encryption key. I think this is right but I dont have wifi so perhaps I'm not best to advise

TheBazman wrote: »
    I'd say there would be a lot of people outside your window waiting to catch it! AFAIK tap on "eircom 2357 7154" after which you should be asked for a password, then just input your encryption key. I think this is right but I dont have wifi so perhaps I'm not best to advise

i meant it says on my eircom link that my wireless ID is "eircom 2357 7154", so i presume this is the one i need to show up on the itouch .
    The problem is , it isnt showing up at all

type: 192.168.1.254 into your computers internet browser (i assume you haven't change your ip), go to wireless on the left of the screen. on this screen it will give you your ID and password.

Are you saying when you search for Wi-Fi points yours doesn't appeaer in the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

amull87 wrote: »
    @ PaulieBoy, go to settings and turn off automatic caps lock and when you need to capital something just hit the shift key on the keyboard. it's pretty simple.
    Have that done already thanks!
    And ceejay is correct the shift key does indeed light up when caps are on.
    However trying to enter a complex password is pretty tricky to the point where I gave up !
    I have a long random password of uppercase, lowercase and an assortment of characters. It's just not worth the effort trying.

The ability to remember the password would be great, however I guess if it was lost then that could be a problem.
    I ain't pushed about it, it's not the sort of facility I really need, and don't affect my usage one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I believe you only have to input it once (assuming it does pick up your eircom wifi) - it should remember it every time after that

amull87 wrote: »
    type: 192.168.1.254 into your computers internet browser (i assume you haven't change your ip), go to wireless on the left of the screen. on this screen it will give you your ID and password.

Are you saying when you search for Wi-Fi points yours doesn't appeaer in the list?

when i go onto that page these are the options :

his page allows you to set the unique identification and security settings for your wireless gateway.

Enable Wireless:
    Wireless ID (SSID):
    Privacy:

Encryption Key:
    Default Key: 1

Advanced Configuration Options

i presume the encryption key in the password ?
    when i go into wi-fi networks on the itouch i get a few eircom options and when i put the encryption number into it, nothing changes :confused:

• Advertisement

Username! wrote: »

TIP: Wait until the end of the week, Macworld is on tomorrow and if a new iPod Touch size (hopefully 32GB and the unlikely 64GB) are released, the others should be cheaper.

Any news on a bigger capacity itouch?

miller82 wrote: »
    when i go onto that page these are the options :

his page allows you to set the unique identification and security settings for your wireless gateway.

Enable Wireless:
    Wireless ID (SSID):
    Privacy:

Encryption Key:
    Default Key: 1

Advanced Configuration Options

i presume the encryption key in the password ?
    when i go into wi-fi networks on the itouch i get a few eircom options and when i put the encryption number into it, nothing changes :confused:

yeah the encryption key is the password. What kind of privacy is set. If it's WPA 802.1x that could be the problem as the Touch only works with WEP and WPA-PSK. If it's set to 802.1x you'll have to change it to WPA-PSK.

@Kev_ps3: No new Touch models i'm afraid. There probably won't be until Summer/September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 eoghand

What applications can you get on the itouch?, I'm was thinking of getting an iphone but the 3 network (which I'm on) won't work with it yet. IS the only differences between them the phone calls, text messages and the camera?
    Is the itouch the best thing ever?:)

eoghand wrote: »
    What applications can you get on the itouch?, I'm was thinking of getting an iphone but the 3 network (which I'm on) won't work with it yet. IS the only differences between them the phone calls, text messages and the camera?
    Is the itouch the best thing ever?:)

Yes and Yes, buy one, you won't regret it

quick question. I'll be using mine to listen to podcasts which are quite long - 1 to 2 hours. Can you pause and go back and listen to it later, or can you fast forward quickly like in windows media player?
    Currently on my ps3 if you quit a 2 hour podcast after say an hour it takes ages to fast-forward to where you left off and its really annoying.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    quick question. I'll be using mine to listen to podcasts which are quite long - 1 to 2 hours. Can you pause and go back and listen to it later, or can you fast forward quickly like in windows media player?
    Currently on my ps3 if you quit a 2 hour podcast after say an hour it takes ages to fast-forward to where you left off and its really annoying.
    You can skip to any part of the Podcast with a slider, just like with the music or videos.

Advertisement