Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 days off work in March!

Options
  • 14-01-2008 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Can anybody tell me the days to take off around paddys day to get the coveted 10 days away from work.

A friend was telling me it featured on Ray Darcy. That if you take 3 certain days off around that time, you can get yourself 10 days away from work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I would imagine it's if you take the 18th 19th and 29th off work. That's the tues wed and thurs after paddy's day which is the monday. Then it;s good Friday on the 21st and then you ahve easter monday on the 24th. So counting from Saturday the 15th March, you'd have 10 days off.

Easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

The 10 days are from March 15th to March 24th (inclusive). It depends on the company that you work for as to how many days you'll have to take. Presuming they are closed/off on the 21st (and that you get weekends and bank holdays off) then you only have to take then 18th, 19th and 20th as holidays to benefit from 10 days off

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

cfennelll wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me the days to take off around paddys day to get the coveted 10 days away from work.

A friend was telling me it featured on Ray Darcy. That if you take 3 certain days off around that time, you can get yourself 10 days away from work.

C'mon, if you have that much difficulty using a calendar & doing simple maths I sincerely doubt if you're actually employable.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    C'mon, if you have that much difficulty using a calendar & doing simple maths I sincerely doubt if you're actually employable.

I was too polite to say this but yes, it's fairly simple stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You'll actually have to take four days.

Monday 17th and the following Monday 24th are public holidays. So you need to take off the 18, 19, 20 and 21st (Good Friday), and you have ten days off from 15th-24th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I get Good Friday as a free holiday so I only have to take three days off which Im planning on doing. It will be great buts its a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

seamus wrote: »

Monday 17th and the following Monday 24th are public holidays. So you need to take off the 18, 19, 20 and 21st (Good Friday), and you have ten days off from 15th-24th.

Some companies are closed on Good Friday and don't force staff to take it out of their official holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cfennelll

Hill Billy wrote: »

Ill give you that.

But I wasnt sure about good Friday being a national holiday.
    Because its not, 3 days wont do me.

Thanks for the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

eve wrote: »
    Some companies are closed on Good Friday and don't force staff to take it out of their official holidays.
    Few and far between these days. Many places even give their staff an extra day but then close on Good Friday, so you still have to take four days out of your holidays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

watna wrote: »
    I was too polite to say this but yes, it's fairly simple stuff!
    Great minds, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

I only need to take 2 days and I've a full ten away from work :D Good job!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm going to be skiiing in Breckenridge that week. Nice to know its not going to cost me in holidays now either. I think the whole country should take the week off. Why not? Let's party for Jebus and his super magic trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

...18, 19, 20 March

it's 10 days incl weekends however.

/me goes to book a trip away for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Maximilian wrote: »
    I'm going to be skiiing in Breckenridge that week. Nice to know its not going to cost me in holidays now either. I think the whole country should take the week off. Why not? Let's party for Jebus and his super magic trick.
    Sounds good to me. I'll have to take Good Friday off but taking four days holidays to get ten is a good deal. Between the 15th and the 24th I intend to be in a perpetual drunken stupor.

Maximilian wrote: »

I've skied in Breckinridge. It's fab! I'm so jealous / shakes fist at maximilian!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

seamus wrote: »

Hamburglars birthday.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

watna wrote: »
    I've skied in Breckinridge. It's fab! I'm so jealous / shakes fist at maximilian!

Your the third person in the last week to tell me that, which is encouraging. Weak dollar too is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Damn you & your Monday to Friday jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eve wrote: »
    Yes, so it is an unofficial holiday which is forced. Dunno why companies are not upfront about this. If I owned a company I would rather tell people you have 21 holidays and one is forced, than say you get 20 holidays, and then when good friday comes tell them they are off. Many presume it is rightfully off, and do not appreciate it at all. I dont get it off, I take it off 50% of the time though, just like any holiday I want. IIRC A company must give you a months notice of "forced holidays", many do not.

There is nothing special about it, almost everyday of the year is some sort of holy day, I remember getting calendars from a religious aunt with them listed.

It is like people being jealous if they hear about people getting long xmas holidays, which are also forced. If you wanted them off then ask for them in the usual way!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah I cant see how this is going to work - suddenly the country stops working for 10 days? :rolleyes: your boss will laugh at you. Some will get the 10 days, many more will not. Good luck winning the lotto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

I would only have to take three days off but the breeders with all of their children to look after got there ahead of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah I cant see how this is going to work - suddenly the country stops working for 10 days? :rolleyes: your boss will laugh at you. Some will get the 10 days, many more will not. Good luck winning the lotto.

booked the days off last september so no lotto for me, oh and I am going to spending part of the 10 days in new york over paddy's day

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah I cant see how this is going to work - suddenly the country stops working for 10 days? .

It does when the lad was born, why not when he dies, I can usually blag more time off for a death than a birth...

If Dan Browne was born at the right time he might have got his story in with the other fictional stories in the bible, and we could have got another few days off for his wedding every year.

Advertisement