Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question?

Options
  • 14-01-2008 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to get laser eye surgery without ever having had glasses, contacts etc?
    I have very bad eyesight (detoriating badly last year+) but have always avoided getting glasses, I don't know why, and I would be much happier having laser surgery as I want to start driving soon and I could never drive with my poor sight.
    Thanks for your help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Shouldn't be a problem. You need to know how bad your eyes really are but the laser clinic should measure that before any surgery takes place. Perhaps an eye test at a regular optician would be first port of call anyway, they can show you the latest in contacts and discuss different options.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

You more than likely can not have laser done if your sight has deteriorated recently. I know two people (who wera glasses and contacts who were both told the had to wait at leat 6 months for their eyes to "settle" before they could undergo surgery)

Your eyes often change a few times in a short time space but then settles/levels out again, as far as I know, laser surgery will only be caried out once he patients eyes have definitely "settled". Go see an optician or if you really want, dcall into a laser place for a consultation but don't be too disappointed if you can't get it done. Contacts are graet - I wore them for about 13 yrs, had laser done now but contacts are great - U'll wonder why you didn't get them yrs ago! Nobody needs know if you are wearing lenses if that's what your worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Your priscription has to be stable for laser treatment. If it's changing then after a couple of years you'll be back to needing glasses again. And all that money on laser would be wasted. Go see an optician it costs very little (free if you have a medical card or paying PRSI) and they'll answer all your questions. Best go to an independant as they'll give you more time. Specsavers want you out in 20 minutes

Advertisement