Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing an Exchange 2003 server

Options
  • 14-01-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi,

I need to replace my old Windows 2000/Exchange 2003 server with a new one with Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 on it. My plan would be to build the new server, install Exchange, then restore the data from backups. Then I would take the old server offline, rename the new server and change the IP address to be the same as the old one.
    Anyone see any problem with this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

sounds good in principle...although, this is no disrespect to your abilities, but inevitably something won't work when you plug the new server in, so maybe a MX Backup might be an idea also during the transition period? Myabe your isp offers it as a service...

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

lynners wrote: »
    Hi,

I need to replace my old Windows 2000/Exchange 2003 server with a new one with Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 on it. My plan would be to build the new server, install Exchange, then restore the data from backups. Then I would take the old server offline, rename the new server and change the IP address to be the same as the old one.
    Anyone see any problem with this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks

an easier method is to

1. Build new exchange server into same domain ( assume data storage will tripple over the the next three years and build on appropriate storage)
    1.1 Remember the data stores should never need more than 50% of space available - for repairing databases ( see point 1 .. you now need 6 times storage of current info stores )
    2. Verify antivirus, verify anti-virus updates ok.
    3. Verify it backs up fine with agent. test a simple restore
    4. Are you going to use mobiles sync ? verify installed
    5. Do you need full text search / tracking turned on ?
    6. Is latest SP installed on both OS and exchange

happy ?

7. Move you own mailbox.. use for two days
    8. Move connectors .. verify external mail
    8.1 Ask users to empty thier deleted items and clean up as much as they can.
    9. Start moving mailboxes wholesale at night ( can be scheduled). Outlook will auto connect to new server in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

As zod said do a swing migration, here is a good guide if you are unsure.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What zod said, perfect. When you move your own mailbox and the connectors, maybe move a couple of other savvy users too (people who won't be too mad if they have no mail for an hour!) to get the maximum testing.

When you run the mailbox migration, the old server tells Outlook to go to the new server, auto configuring the mailbox. Assuming you've a few hundred mailboxes, moving them bit by bit also helps identify and iron out any problems.

Leave the old server in place for a while - if you plug it out straight away and someone comes back from holidays, their mailbox won't work and you'll have to pay a visit to their machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

hey guys, thanks for all the advice. That document is great.
    Ive come across a problem though. I have installed exchange on the new server and am trying to mount the database so that I can start replicating folders and moving mailboxes. All of the services are starting but the Information Store wont mount. Im getting a Security Logon/Logoff failure message. Logon Failure:
    Reason: An error occurred during logon
    User Name:
    Domain:
    Logon Type: 3
    Logon Process: Authz
    Authentication Package: Kerberos
    Workstation Name: Server07
    Status code: 0xC000040A
    Substatus code: 0x0
    Caller User Name: Server07$
    Caller Domain: DUBLIN
    Caller Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E7)
    Caller Process ID: 900
    Transited Services: -
    Source Network Address: -
    Source Port: -

Any ideas what I need to check?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not sure. Does the service account for exchange have appropriate permissions on the database file? From what I remember of doing the install, there should be no mounting of databases required - you use the system manager to create a new store.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

Yeah the permissions all the seem to be the same. I did create a new store and it gave no errors as I created it. But it didnt mount after I created it. I also get the following error:
    Failed to create the Event Registration Mailbox for Database First Storage Group\XXXXX. Error - 0xbf69.
    But when I google this I can tfind anything that works.
    This article seems to be the only one relevant, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274534, but its asking me to delete a System Mailbox Object but theres nothing there called that

Advertisement