Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

engagement ring questions

Options
  • 14-01-2008 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hello people.

i've got to bit the bullet in the next few weeks and ask my lady friend to marry me. i started looking in jewellery shops, and with me being as far into the male mindset as possible, i haven't got a clue where to start when it comes to things i know nada about, e.g. 9carrat, 18 carrat, carrat diamonds (i never knew diamonds were rated by carrat), white gold (eh.. i thought gold was yellow... surely they mean silver?). so help me. what do i do here? would it be acceptable to buy her say a ring, any old ring with some sort of a rock just for the sake of asking the question, and then get a different ring if she had her eye on one? now while she's a really classy girl, she repeatedly nudges me when we are beside cheap jewellery shops... she likes mad stuff, and i recall the last necklace she bought cost her 8 euros when we were in spain on holidays - she loves the thing. in fact, honestly i'd say she would be disgusted if i spent too much on a ring... because she knows that while i'm not exactly broke, i'm far from being loaded.

so what's the deal here? do i just buy something for anything from 50 to 200 euro or something for the time being?

i don't mean to sound overly tight, but she knows that the money is going on a house right now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're really interested in getting the diamond yourself then see the sticky at the top of the forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055031792

Gold comes in the traditional yellow gold and there is also white gold. No it's not silver, it's white gold :)
    Carats mean different things for metals and gems. For gems, the carat is the overall weight of the gem. For metals, the carat is an indicator of the purity of the metal - 9 carat gold contains only about 30% actual gold, whereas 24 carat is almost 100% gold. Hence lower carat = cheaper.

If you have absolutely no idea what type of a ring she would like, then your best bet is to either propose without a ring (with the intention of going to buy it that day or the next) or as you say, buy a cheapo ring as a token and then later go get the real one.

Some women would prefer the ultra-romantic option of having you pick the ring for her, other women would prefer to pick it themselves first because most men haven't a clue. Your lady friend has probably indicated her preference if the subject has been broached in the past.

Advertisement