Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD climbing wall question for Evil Phil/anyone who can help..

Options
  • 14-01-2008 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Mr. Evil - :confused:
    a quick question yuo may be able to help me with... last year I did my basic climbing training to use the wall in UCD.. bought my climbing shoes, chalk and just wanted to use the bouldering wall.. have no interest at all in roped climbing. I went back to do my test to be allowed use the wall and it turns out the instructor hadn't shown that night. Went back a couple of weeks later and the instructor was out sick. Went back again after that but there was no instructor again... I have forgotten half what I learned and have not been back. New year's resolution this year is to get it sorted.. what's my best option? Do I have to do the instruction course again or is there somewhere online I can get a quick recap? I live in Kilcock and it's a bit of a journey to have to keep making to keep getting some stern-faced guy tell me I'm not allowed on the bouldering wall.. (PS.. a note to UCD people.. don't talk down to adults who drive 20 odd miles to pay to use your facility please!)
    any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

From what I remember of the wall, the test was only required for top roping, but it's difficult for the staff to watch everyone all of the time, so easier to make everyone do the test.

Having said that, anytime I've gone in fairly recently, I never mention a word to staff and just do my own thing. There really is very little you need to know. A half hour practice on the rules, knots, etc. would suffice.

I'd ring beforehand to try and find out if the instructor will be in. I suppose there's no real way to guarantee if a guy does a no-show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

yeah I suppose.. but I'd prefer to have my card and not have to worry bout bein pulled up on it.. I will ring ahead next time.. but I can't remember half the stuff.. Anywhere on the net theat shows the knots, and the correct loops on the harness? As for belaying I found it easy enough so no prob there... just common sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I would imagine that you'd have to do the test before being allowed to use the bouldering wall. Reason being that once you're in they can't keep an eye on you but don't quote me on that. The best thing to do is ring the centre before going up.

yep - that's what I am gonna do - but my point is - I don't want to have to book another intro class and wait for that and then wait to do a test again... but I am forgetting the stuff I learned.. is there an internet link/page etc.. that shows the basics so I can bone up on it before I go back to do the test??

Does NO-ONE have a link that will remind me of how to tie the knots and run the rope through the harness???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

who007 wrote: »
    Does NO-ONE have a link that will remind me of how to tie the knots and run the rope through the harness???
    Well, i googled "climbing knots", your answer was first on the list...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Actually after rereading the thread I've noticed you only want to use the bouldering wall. Google "Climbing Knots" (you'll need to know the figure of eight) and "belaying with an atc".

Great! Thanks lads! :D

Advertisement