Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

37" hdtv help

Options
  • 13-01-2008 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

sorry guys, but I need some help pickin my next telly, I have about 1000 to spend,

was lookin at
    samsung 37" 999
    sony 37" 849
    walker 42" plasma 899

what is the walker like, got these prices from soundstore
    was thinkin about the sansung , but now im not quite sure..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

I dont know how you expect anyone to answer the quastion without giving the modell of the tv,there is probly 10,000 tv's that fit the category of samsung,sony
    I have a samsung LE40R87 and so good so far,for the price you wont get much better,its about 1100 in shops.its a 40 inch,it got very good reviews in magazines,for the money your spending it is the best tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Dont go near the Walker. What sources are you going to be using? Sky HD? PS3? etc.. If its for standard tv then I would go for the Sony, if its for HD then I would go for the Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Ill be using it for the ps3, games and blueray, sky hd, and some dvds,

I only had like 5 mins to look so I dont know the model numbers.
    why should I stay away from the walker???

The samsung is 150 more than the sony ,
    any ideas..

Currys have a sale on atm, they have a 37" Samsung for around a grand. I would recommend it. Great HD picture off them. I have a 32" and am planning to upgrade soon to a 37" 1080p Samsung! You can get one on komplett for a grand!

you can get the 37" samsungs in 1080p ooooo
    must check that out.
    but what about the walker and necromande brands where are they from and would the quality be anywhere near the samsungs.
    cos in the shops the samsungs look great..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

why do you keep asking that?walker are some cheap ass brand and you get what you pay for ie the walker is 5 inches bigger for the same price,if you buy t you will regret it,if you want 1080p get the samsung le37m87 but seeing as the tv is under 37 inches its a waste of money because at that size the average eye cannot tell the difference

my recomendation is the samsung le40r87 which is up to 1080i,whcih will suit your need perfect

Im just wonderin how do samsungs scale sd content, like the sd channels on the sky box???
    + what would be the price of the 40" + I always thought walker was an american brand, must b **** so...

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Im just wonderin how do samsungs scale sd content, like the sd channels on the sky box???
    + what would be the price of the 40" + I always thought walker was an american brand, must b **** so...

Ive got a samsung lcd and I think standard def sky looks good on my tv.

I saw a 40" 1080p Samsung in Currys at the weekend for €1400, which is a good price. I know someone who got that tv a few months ago for nearly €1900! You could probably get it cleaper online!

is there much differance between the 37" samsungs and the 40"
    and would 1080p in either of these sizes be worth the 300 - 400 extra.
    + I heard the samsungs have the best amounts of inputs, etc,
    do thew sony 37" versions even carry 2 hdmi ports..

is there much differance between the 37" samsungs and the 40"
    and would 1080p in either of these sizes be worth the 300 - 400 extra.
    + I heard the samsungs have the best amounts of inputs, etc,
    do thew sony 37" versions even carry 2 hdmi ports..

If you have the space then go for the 40". The only reason im getting the 37" is because I havent the room for the 40. The 40" has 15,000:1 contrast ratio and a 'super clear panel'. While the 37" has a 8,000:1 CR and no 'super clear panel'. Also, I saw the 40" in currys for under €1,400 at the weekend while the 37" was €1449! I asked the salesman why this was and he said "because they sold way more of the 40"!".
    Im not sure about the imputs, but I think they have 3 hdmi inputs and others, scart etc.. Not sure about the sony - google it.

• Advertisement

yeah now I had a look at the tvs in soundstore 2day, have my choice shortened to 2 , samsung le 40 r82 for 1045
    or the samsung le 40 n87 for 1300

Im leaning towards the 1300 euro version, any ideas...

Ive actually decided today that im goin to get the 40" M87 instead of the 37". Im going to squeeze it in somehow!
    Its 1080p and its actually cheaper than the 37" in Currys! I think it was around 1400 euro. I would recommend you have a look at that trunks, its only 100 euro more and you get double the resolution with 1080p!

nah the n87 and the m87 are both 1080p I actually asked and it appers they basically the same tv, €1299 in soundstore, 24fps support too, cant wait to buy it,, whats the site for the stats again..??

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ryker

i have the samsung m87 46 inch great set the only thing i noticed was there is not much difference between this and my old plasma regards to picture quality. Were this set comes set comes into its own is when you have a HD source going into.

It can also be tricky trying to get the best picture quality from the menu it takes ages fooling around with it.

Is pirates of the carribean 3 on blueray yet, thats the movie I want to showcase me new tv when I get it,
    Im decided on the n87 now seems like a great set, good price, amazing input and its stylish.
    And can I get a composite for my 360, cos I want it and the ps3 in Hd :):):)

nah the n87 and the m87 are both 1080p I actually asked and it appers they basically the same tv, €1299 in soundstore, 24fps support too, cant wait to buy it,, whats the site for the stats again..??

Never heard of the N87 model before. Just had a look at the spec. Your right its 1080p. The only difference I can tell is that the M87 is shorter in width and has 15,000:1 contrast radio compared to the N87's 10:000:1. Also, im not sure if the N87 has the 'super clear cover' thing.
    Looks like a nice tv!

Is pirates of the carribean 3 on blueray yet, thats the movie I want to showcase me new tv when I get it,
    Im decided on the n87 now seems like a great set, good price, amazing input and its stylish.
    And can I get a composite for my 360, cos I want it and the ps3 in Hd :):):)

Yeah it is! Ive got all the 3 Pirates movies on bluray - they all look and sound amazing.
    Also, do yourself a favour and get Apocolyto (spelling). The picture quality is unreal.

where can I get pirates 3 in the shops,
    or can I get a bundle,,,,, with all 3
    Im going gettin the tv friday cant wait...

+ does the ps3 support 24fps, on the bluerays??

where can I get pirates 3 in the shops,
    or can I get a bundle,,,,, with all 3
    Im going gettin the tv friday cant wait...

+ does the ps3 support 24fps, on the bluerays??

Dont bother with the shops! Go to sendit.com They have a special offer, any 3 disney blurays for 60 euro with free delivery. You'll be saving about 40 or 50 euro from the shops! You can get the 3 Pirates films with this offer.

Yes, the ps3 does support 24fps.

sweet. would you advise takin the tv home in a car, or to get it delivered, 30 euros not too much like,
    That 40" is going to look massive in my livin room, the huge plasmas they have in soundstore make it look tiny lol....

• Advertisement

sweet. would you advise takin the tv home in a car, or to get it delivered, 30 euros not too much like,
    That 40" is going to look massive in my livin room, the huge plasmas they have in soundstore make it look tiny lol....

It should be fine in the car, they are well protected in the box.

class, I heard the m87 has a shiny screen that a lot of people dont like, so thats why they made the n87 Why, what is the differance???
    getin the tv friday, thanks for all the help guys

+ found out today hmv are doing 3 bluerays for the price of three, inlcluding all three pirates films, it something like 40euro for the three
    heres the link to the uk site
    http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/specialOffers.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&code=07WXW

class, I heard the m87 has a shiny screen that a lot of people dont like, so thats why they made the n87 Why, what is the differance???
    getin the tv friday, thanks for all the help guys

+ found out today hmv are doing 3 bluerays for the price of three, inlcluding all three pirates films, it something like 40euro for the three
    heres the link to the uk site
    http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/specialOffers.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&code=07WXW

40 euro for the 3?!! In HMV?!! Its more likely that you will only get one of the films for 40 euro!! The Departed is in HMV for 50 ffs!!
    Plus, HMV in Ireland dont have a great selection of blurays, they probably wont have all 3 in stock.
    They do have a 3 for two offer, but as I said, they dont have a great selection and they are way over-priced in HMV.

As I said in my earlier post:
    The only difference I can tell is that the M87 is shorter in width and has 15,000:1 contrast radio compared to the N87's 10:000:1. Also, the N87 doesnt have the 'superclear screen'. This is supposed to make blacks look blacker and better overall.

I think the N model is an older model to the M models, not sure tho. If you can, get the M model. Better contrast radio.

got the n87 today, couldnt possibly be happier,
    1080p really does make a differance, got all three pirates films on bluray in hmv for 80euro, good enough I suppose, the quality is awesome

And Ive been stuck on a 21" SD tv for the last 12 years,
    Its like OMG when ya come into the room:):D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

got all three pirates films on bluray in hmv for 80euro

Online is the only way to buy HD titles at the moment , the pirates movies are 19 Dollars each from amazon .... with current exchange rates ( dollar is very weak against the euro ) you would have gotten all 3 for 40 euros !! It pays to look around.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/105-3454027-5568442?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=blu+ray&x=0&y=0

Incidentally , even shopping around on the high street gives huge difference in prices , before christmas , I noticed that the 5 disc planet earth box set was 79.99 in HMV , it was 53.99 in Virgin !!

Advertisement