Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FYI: Mobile Google Maps on K800i phone + bluetooth gps

Options
  • 12-01-2008 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got Mobile Google Maps working on my Sony Ericcson K800i phone, with cached map data downloaded from my PC meaning no O2 phone charges. You can enable/disable "offline mode" if you want, to view uncached
    areas of the map.

It can connect to a bluetooth GPS mouse and track your position on the map in realtime.

Anyways, some of the lads from work asked how, and I thought I might as well post it here too.

For practical purposes you’d want a minimum of a 256Mb data card. I have a 4Gb M2 data card in my K800i.

TO CACHE MAP DATA:

Step 1
    : Create a MAP file, to define the regions of interest. It’s only defines the area, no downloads of map data.

http://www.mgmaps.com/create/

* The default level of map detail for google maps, ie. 1 – 12 will translate to a 32Mb download in step 2 for the entire island of Ireland.

Level 13 – 15 ( more detail ) progressively add more detail, plus hundreds of Mb in size.

I tried downloading level 15 for all of Ireland, and ran out of disk space on the pc ( okay only 4Gb ) but too much detail.

Step 2 : Download and install gMapMaker ( requires .NET framework runtime distribution )

* This is the PC app which accesses the Google Maps website to download all the map data.

http://www.mgmaps.com/cache/gMapMaker-setup.exe

Run gMapMaker.exe and select the map you created in step 1

You’ll end up with hundreds/thousands of little files, wasting your disk cluster size where a file occupies a minimum of 4 or 8kb regardless of if it’s empty.
    Ie. the actual data size might might be 200Mb, but “size of disk” could be 800Mb.

Step 3 : Copy the resulting “MGMapsCache” folder from gMapMaker, to your mobile phone card.

( any arbitrary directory )

MOBILE PHONE BIT

Step 4 : Install google maps on your phone.

Open up http://wap.mgmaps.com/ on your phone browser.

I selected the “signed jad” on the “Generic (full) release v1.39.06”

Step 5 : Start up Mobile Gmaps on your phone.

Go to “Settings” --> “Map Browsing” --> “Storage Path”

Enter the path of the folder you copied “MGMapsCache” too.

Eg. on my phone it’s e:/other/MgMapsCache
    In the same settings dialog box, there’s a checkbox for “Offline Mode”.

It’s up to yourself whether you want to enable / disable it.
    Disabled : it ensures you never contact google or pay for mobile downloads from the web

Enabled: it means you can request data not in your cache, and fill it in as needed.

UPDATING/APPENDING CACHE:

You can repeat steps 1 – 3 as many times as you want.

Eg. first caching Ireland, then other areas later and copying the new cache to your phone.

Advertisement