Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to register to get free map update with Garmin

Options
  • 12-01-2008 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi all,

Purchased a Garmin Nuvi 350 last June, came with City Navigator Europe V9.

I haven't registered the product on the Garmin website yet - deliberately held off so that I could get the free upgrade to V10.

Does anyone know if V10 is now out? I looked at the Garmin website but couldn't find out.

Thanks,

William

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭jamesd

william wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Does anyone know if V10 is now out? I looked at the Garmin website but couldn't find out.
    Thanks,
    William

Supposed to be out in Feb but from reading online theres no definate date for the release.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

If you read through this thread it should give you some more info.

I bought in October and registered mid-December and expect to be safe enough....I]crosses fingers[/I

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

Do-more wrote: »
    I bought in October and registered mid-December and expect to be safe enough....I]crosses fingers[/I

Thanks for the replies.

I'd say you're in trouble Do-More, think you registered too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

William, I think that Do-More is safer than you. They will look for your serial number. I think that someone reported, from a phone call, that Garmin said that people who bought after 1st Dec will get the upgrade. I got a 360T with version 9 for Christmas and registered Jan. Seeing that the 2008 version was already out, I will be very upset if I do not get the upgrade :(
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

JamesM wrote: »
    William, I think that Do-More is safer than you. They will look for your serial number. I think that someone reported, from a phone call, that Garmin said that people who bought after 1st Dec will get the upgrade. I got a 360T with version 9 for Christmas and registered Jan. Seeing that the 2008 version was already out, I will be very upset if I do not get the upgrade :(
    Jim.
    Is there any reason to register beforehand? Isn't registering the only way garmin know when you have bought the GPS unit?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

axer wrote: »
    Is there any reason to register beforehand? Isn't registering the only way garmin know when you have bought the GPS unit?

Your spot on. I was speaking with Garmin this morning looking for an update on these update disks, and I explained that I bought a unit in Dec of last year and that it only have V9 maps on it. She told me to log on to mygarmin and create an account and if and when updates become available, I would be informed through there. Incidentally, she told me to put in the date of registration as my purchase date, that way if there is an update available it would be more likely that I may receive it FOC.

axer wrote: »

Up to a point ! But they do ask for your serial number. That will give date of manufacture. After that it is up to them to decide whether to give an upgrade or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

So when would be a good time to register, and what would be a good time to put down as Purchase date to be most likely to avail of the free updates?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    So when would be a good time to register, and what would be a good time to put down as Purchase date to be most likely to avail of the free updates?

To be honest, I haven't a clue :confused::D

Garmin won't answer my emails :mad:

Any information I have is from a previous thread in December, where Garmin say in an email that, because they try to provide an upgrade every year, the time they allow for a free upgrade is quite short. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055184172

Jim.

Hi Jim,
    Yeah i've been keeping an eye on that thread. It's a bit annoying that Garmin won't give you an answer

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Hi Jim,
    Yeah i've been keeping an eye on that thread. It's a bit annoying that Garmin won't give you an answer

Also when you try to phone them, you are told to use a freephone number that you cannot phone from Ireland :mad:
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's a crazy situation where an upgrade isn't available until almost three months after they started to ship the 2008 version in their new PNDs. This'll have me saying nice things about Teleatlas, if I'm not careful.:eek: It'll be way out of date by the time everyone has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I registered last May and got the USA update free to 2008 which came out in sept/oct... so i think they do a backdate of a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Thepost

I asked if I would be entitled to a Map Update on a 610t registered 27/12/07 as 2008 Maps are available on the Nuvi 710 so they have to be available.

Thank you for contacting Garmin (Europe) Ltd.

In regards to your email, Garmin are just about to be release City
    Navigator Europe 2008 mapping update, unfortunately we have no release
    date or price for the new mapping data at the moment however it should
    be available before the end of Q1 this year.

The new 2008 version of our European mapping will of course have many
    improvements such as greater mapping detail with updates regarding new
    or changed road systems, a higher number of POI's are included in the
    mapping across the European region and the route calculation are also
    much improved.

*Please Note: As long as you have a MyGarmin account with a valid email
    address you will be notified via email when the new mapping update will
    be available along with all the details on how to update and the
    relevant cost?s.

We do not advertise the version of preloaded cards as currently the
    Version 9 cards are still on sale. There are no free updates to the 2008
    update specifically with preloaded cards, a new card would need to be
    purchased.

Kind regards,
    <snip> - Garmin (Europe) Ltd
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Thepost wrote: »
    We do not advertise the version of preloaded cards as currently the
    Version 9 cards are still on sale. There are no free updates to the 2008
    update specifically with preloaded cards, a new card would need to be
    purchased.

Does this mean that if my Nuvi 350 comes preloaded with maps that I cannot get the upgrade? I don't think there is a card in my system though. Should I be able to see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Does this mean that if my Nuvi 350 comes preloaded with maps that I cannot get the upgrade? I don't think there is a card in my system though. Should I be able to see it?
    You are elligble for the upgrade, as long as you purchased/registered after the 2008 release became available.

The bit about the cards is specifically for those people who bought mapping on memory cards, i.e. not pre-loaded on a device.

Yipeee, just got my free upgrade confirmed. :D

Yipeee, just got my free upgrade confirmed. :D

When did you buy your unit?
    When did you register?
    Did you have to show receipt etc?

I don't ask half enough questions me ;)

Purchased in June 07, registered today, no receipt requested. Did it online and had to provide serial no and registration code that came in the box.

Cool, must do this next week when I go home again

• Advertisement

Purchased in June 07, registered today, no receipt requested. Did it online and had to provide serial no and registration code that came in the box.

Ditto, I also put my registration date down as my purchase date.

Well lads, just to throw the cats among the pigeons as they say, A friend of mine bought his Nuvi 360 last July and he registered it this week only, but made the error of putting in the proper purchase date of July 07. He was still given the free update. He received the confirmation email as well, so we will just have to see if it actually arrives now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

He'll get the DVD for free, it's when it comes to getting the unlock code is when cash is exchanged.

Jip wrote: »
    He'll get the DVD for free, it's when it comes to getting the unlock code is when cash is exchanged.

Yeah, I was half thinking that alright. We will have to wait and see how he gets on. I have been promised an update disk from a friend of mine who already received one from Garmin, so we will try it out then.

What info do I have to give when registering the unit?

I have the GPS in the car but the manual/box is at home and I won't be home until next week. I'd like to register it to get it over and done with. I bought the GPS (Nuvi 670) from boards.ie and the owner swore he didn't register it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

All you need is the serial number and your e-mail address, the serial number on the 670 is behind the flip-up antenna. Don't forget to give Jan 2008 as the purchase date so you qualify for the free upgrade.

Jip wrote: »

Well his update disk came this morning and he was able to update using his product code on the back of the update dvd without any problems.

Advertisement