Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard and mouse not working.

Options
  • 11-01-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

When I turned on my computer today of was making a funny,loud noise and I have discovered that the mouse and keyboard inputs (ps/2?) are not working. I opened the case and I found a broken elastic band inside. Do you think it could be the motherboard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I can't think of what an elastic band may be used for except to tidy cables.
    If this is the case, then maybe a section of cable lowered down onto one of the fans and was grinding against it... maybe stopping it and eventually causing something to overheat. (maybe even the rubber band fell into a fan?)
    Though it's hard to know how likely this is without having heard the sound.

It may be that something got fried if your PS2 ports are dead, but to be more certain that they are in fact dead, I'd say remove the keyboard and mouse, then double-check that the keyboard is in the right port (and it's not just someones idea of a prank, swapping them), and check for broken/bent pins.

Before windows loads, try to get into the BIOS with whatever access key you use (DEL, F1, F2 ... which ever)... you'll be able to rule out any software problems this way.
    Do you get any numlock/capslock light activity? or do the keys affect these lights at all?

Does the loud noise happen every time you turn the PC on and does it go away after a while, or continue the whole time?

USB mice and keyboards are common enough, you might be able to borrow one to see if you can get by without PS2 ports.
    Even if you can work-around the problem by using a USB keyboard/mouse, what caused these ports/controllers to die in the first place would still be a concern... I'd wonder if this is just a symptom of a bigger problem.

It sounds like a head-scratcher... I suppose all you can do is rule out everything you can... make sure all your fans are still spinning... maybe download some temperature monitoring software to see if all your temps are alright... check for any frayed or melted-looking cables... sniff for any unusual smells. (for the want of a better way of putting it :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

When I plug the keyboard into the port the light goes on for second and then goes again. The loud noise has now stopped. I have a USB mouse and that works okay but the keyboard uses the PS2 ports and that doesn't work. Would I be better off upgrading the PC?

Advertisement