Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell XPS 420 - good value system?

Options
  • 11-01-2008 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hi, im half considering upgrading to this pc. I have no interest in building my own pc and i am quite happy to buy off Dell and pay a bit of a premium for the convenience.

Dell XPS 420:

Components :

PROCESSOR Premium Chassis - Intel® 2 Quad-Core™ Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 1066MHz, 8MB cache) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English edit
    HARDWARE SUPPORT Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support) edit
    MONITOR Monitor Not included edit
    MEMORY 3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024/2x512] edit
    HARD DRIVE 1TB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 Stripe (2x500GB - 7200rpm) edit
    GRAPHICS CARD SINGLE 768MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX graphics card edit
    TV TUNER & MULTIMEDIA ACCELERATORS TV Tuner and AVIO / Accellerator edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE 4x Blu-Ray Disc Drive edit
    KEYBOARD Dell™ Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY) edit
    MOUSE Dell Optical Scroll Premium Mouse edit

Accessories :

SOUND SOFTWARE Sound Blaster® X-Fi Xtreme Gamer PCI Soundcard edit
    SPEAKERS Dell™ A525 Speakers with Subwoofer edit
    FLOPPY/MEDIA DRIVES 19-in-1 Bluetooth Media Card Reader edit
    MODEMS No Modem edit
    MICROSOFT SOFTWARE Microsoft® Works 8.0 - English edit
    WIRELESS NETWORKING Internal 802.11b/g Wireless PCI Card edit

Services & Software :

ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE SUPPORT No Accidental Damage Support edit
    SECURITY SOFTWARE No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English edit

Also included with your system :

Shipping Documents XPS 420 English Documentation with UK/Irish Power Cord
    Gedis Bundle Reference D01X406
    Adobe Reader Adobe Elements Studio Software (incl Photoshop, Premiere and Soundbooth)
    Order Information XPS Desktop Order - Ireland
    Standard Warranty Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)
    Dell System Media Kit XPS 420 Resource DVD

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...=D01X406&s=dhs

Total € 1,549.13 including vat

Comments on spec and price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

They are a lovely system,you can get same model on

www.dell.ie/epp for €1413

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/desktops_best?c=ie&cs=ieepp1&l=en&s=dhs

If you fancy a bit of diy you could get the below system for €826 and add a blu-ray/hd-dvd burner and 4gb of 800mhz ram

http://www.dabs.ie/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4TRB&CategorySelectedId=11155&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11155,4294953188&InMerch=1 €267

http://www.dabs.ie/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4KZN&CategorySelectedId=11025&PageMode=1&InMerch=1 €99

To get a higher quality system for €1200

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core™ Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 8MB, 1066MHz)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)
    Monitor Not included
    2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    500GB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 Stripe (2x250GB - 7200rpm)
    SINGLE 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT card
    16x DVD +/- RW Drive
    Dell™ Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Dell Optical Scroll Premium Mouse

For €826 delivered.....

The 8800 gt is just as fast as a the 8800gtx,well maybe a few frames behind at very high res....

E Value

305- D01X403

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    They are a lovely system,you can get same model on

www.dell.ie/epp for €1413

Can you explain how this Dell Employee Program works?

When you fill in your details it'll ask for your company name.Put in Bank Of Ireland,Eircom or AIB..

Dell don't check and deliver to your home address.

seems a bit dodgy, have a lot of people done this?

Not dodgy at all plenty here (bargain alerts) use it...I bought a cheap inspirion laptop for my brothers girlfriend using epp,usually 10% than the main site and they dont check any details or anything...

They ask for a company name and ask you is this visa card registered to the company name....Give bank of Ireland and Yes as the answers :p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055096009&highlight=dell+epp

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055182968&highlight=dell+epp

Loads of other threads....

• Advertisement

Do you know if the xps420 comes with a blu ray player or burner?

You can get a player for €150,

good question, a guy posted on another forum that he asked that very question was told it was a burner - so imo the dell system is listed above is great value if i could get it through that epp system

I wonder does anyone have a link to a complete list of companies that apply to that scheme, i think i remember seeing the HSE listed - that could be helpful to me

good question, a guy posted on another forum that he asked that very question was told it was a burner - so imo the dell system is listed above is great value if i could get it through that epp system

I wonder does anyone have a link to a complete list of companies that apply to that scheme, i think i remember seeing the HSE listed - that could be helpful to me

Near the bottom...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055210263&highlight=dell+epp

Its pretty good deal with the burner alright.....

1tb hard drive €290
    8800gtx €330
    Quad Core 2.4ghz €240
    Blu ray 4x burner €270
    Sound Blaster Xtreme €70
    3gb ram 667mhz €60
    Vista Premium €120

Dell cant be making much from that...

id say they still are, they buy in massive bulk etc etc

Are there any hardcore gamers on here? - wondering what kind of settings crysis can run at with the 8800 gtx?

found this:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/review.aspx?CIaRID=5217

'Philips BD-RE BDD1001 Blu-ray writer'

• Advertisement

id say they still are, they buy in massive bulk etc etc

Are there any hardcore gamers on here? - wondering what kind of settings crysis can run at with the 8800 gtx?

Im not a hardcore gamer lol,but I have an xps710 with Quad Core 2.66ghz,8800gtx,2gb ram

I can run crysis everything high quality smoothly at 1280 x 1024,I get about between 35fps to 38fps on 1680 x 1050....Frame very rarely goes below 30 at 1280 x 1024,average is about 52 or 53fps or more...

Pc scored 11912 on 3Dmark 2006 at stock settings,with the cpu clocked just under 3.0ghz and graphics overclocked by 8 or 9% it scores just under 13000.....

Call of duty 4,Tomb Raider legend with next gen effects on and Gears of war,play awesomely smooth....Call of duty's frame rates are in to the 100's...

im a novice to say the least when it comes to pc gaming - can you explain what difference fps makes - i have an xbox360 - how would pc games compare to the standard 360 game? - i have a Dell 2407 monitor fwiw

If you are going to buy one,then the first thing you should do is reinstall vista with the cd they give you,my pc felt much faster and cleaner after getting rid of all that dell crap (Mcaffe etc),a clean install is a must imo...

im a novice to say the least when it comes to pc gaming - can you explain what difference fps makes - i have an xbox360 - how would pc games compare to the standard 360 game? - i have a Dell 2407 monitor fwiw

On that monitor games will look ten times better than what they do on the xbox.....

Most shooters/games on the xbox run at 30 frames per second or 60 on some fast reaction titles like Forza 2,they say the brain cannot distinguish anything over 30 fps,so anything over that is a bonus...Ideally you want the game to be playing at over 50fps so it has no chance of getting below 30fps,where you will see juttery movements....

30 is the minimum for smooth gameplay really...

With crysis being the only game to worry about at the moment...

How much did you pay for the monitor?

Do you play the xbox on it too?

Spiderman in Blu-ray would be incredible on that monitor,so jealous :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

lovely system, i have 3 of these in my office at work. they look cool and the base systems are relatively cheap. same specs as the op pretty much is what i have.

lovely system, i have 3 of these in my office at work. they look cool and the base systems are relatively cheap. same specs as the op pretty much is what i have.

What are yee doing in the office?

:D

How much did you pay for the monitor?

I think i paid about 580 euro from here, im happy i got it before the hc version was released because ive heard it has serious issues:
    http://www.pcbuyit.co.uk/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=67&dept%5Fname=Dell

Do you play the xbox on it too?

Yea its brilliant for the xbox, its a 1080p monitor but i havnt played a xbox game that outputs in that resolution yet - hopefully some of the new games being released this year will be 1080p

Spiderman in Blu-ray would be incredible on that monitor,so jealous :p

Yea if i were to buy the pc i would have to pick up a few blu rays to see what they are like

Just speculation at this stage tbh, have to sell my current pc before i even consider buying a new one:(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

What are yee doing in the office?

:D

wouldnt you like to know!!

Advertisement