Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To root canal or not?

Options
  • 11-01-2008 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Just been to the dentist with a molar that is giving me trouble. The molar in question is on the bottom left and is the third from the back-I still have my wisdom teeth. I was told that the tooth has died and that in order to keep it I would need a root canal and a crown. In total that comes to 1600 for just those two (I also need fillings on top of that). I can't really afford that and I am worried that if I had problems with the tooth in the future (root canal failing, crown coming loose) that it would cost me a small fortune to fix it again. The other option is to have it removed.

I'm mid 20's and am wondering if anyone elese has had a molar removed in their adult life? Do you notice the loss of one tooth? I know that the teeth either side could move slightly into the space, does this cause any lasting problems? Any other problems with having it removed?

At the end of the day it is a lot of money and I don't want to spend that much money when I could end up losing the tooth in 5, 10, 15 years times throught wear and tear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Where's he going with he's €1600?!! I had a root canal done on a tooth (2 in from the back on the right side) that was half broken, there was only half a tooth left in me head. So he had to build up a new "tooth" after the root canal, cost me all of €450.

In the end it broke (6 months later) and I had to have the tooth pulled, which I wish I'd had done in the first place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

If you're paying tax you can claim the cost of the root canal back on that. Not the filling though. I had a molar taken out a few months ago, and while it felt a bit sore and weird at first (although nothing compared to the pain before it was taken out), I don't notice it all now really. But if it's at all possible to keep your teeth, I'd suggest you try.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I would prefer to keep the tooth but I could spend a huge amount on it with no guarantees as to how long it would last. If it was a front tooth then I would have to try to fix it but this tooth is only seen if I open my mouth further than I would when talking

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Incubu

Eve, if you decide to have the tooth extracted you'll certainly notice it but over time you'll get used to it. Bear in mind,though, that if you do decide to get the tooth replaced with, for example, a bridge or implant, it will cost a lot more than 1600 euro.

Just to clarify, the full amount paid for the root canal treatment and the crown can be offset against your tax. For someone paying the higher rate of tax you would be able to claim back 41% of the 1600. This 656 euro would be paid to you by the Revenue about this time next year.

Generally root canal treatments and crowns are very successful but as with any other form of medical treatment it's impossible to guarantee this.
    Your dentist has described the best treatment if you want to keep the tooth. However,if the tooth isn't too badly broken down it may be possible to just do the root canal treatment and restore the tooth with a filling. If you follow this route you'd have to realise that there is a significant risk that the tooth will fracture and require extraction.

Whatever you decide, make sure you complete the remaining course of treatment. If you get the other teeth sorted out and correct the habits that led to this situation in the first place this should be the last time you'll have to face such a situation.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info Incubu. I'm still mulling it over.

• Advertisement

Antone else had experience with molar root canal & crown or molar extraction?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

hiya, the first molar is a very important tooth, loss results in tipping of adjacent teeth, of the 2nd molar especially, and extrusion of the molar in the opposite arch. the lower one when it tips creates an unclensable gum pocket, and thickening of the gum thke a 'roll'. this assists the long term loss of the 2nd molar. also the molar in the other arch will come down in most people(overeruption) resulting in gum and decay problems later. i think i read there was 86 odd reasons to keep the first molar (of course it is used for eating on of course)dont ask me what the other 83 are!
    edit:/in theory the money is well spent as if you want to restore what you had later it could well involve very major treeatment such as intrusion of the opposing tooth orthodontically using temporary implants or alternatively extraction of the overeruted tooth and an implant or somtimes they can be crowned or root canaled and crowned if the eruption is not severe. and that is just correction of the opposing tooth! then one would need to extract the (assuming it was a lower 1st molar that was lost) lower 3rd molar aka wisdom tooth, orthodontically upright the 7 by moving it up and back,remove the gum roll and periodontal pocket on the front of it, and then probably graft where the tooth was lost and place an implant or place a bridge from the 7 to the 5. the bottom line is it depends on the value you place on teeth as to whether you would chose to go down a particular route. hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 inspectorcheese

I went to a dentist in Maynooth (possibly the same one!) last week and he quoted me the same €1600 for a RCT and crown on a back molar. I have since been to another dentist who said that RCTs are a waste of money since they almost always cause trouble later down the line and advised an extraction (at cost of €50). When he pulled the tooth, there was the beginnings of an absess forming, meaning regardless of RCT, the tooth would have played up again in a year or so and have to be pulled then. Extraction wasn't sore but feels a bit strange. Was told that as I was young (20) that gap would eventually close by itself and I wouldn't need a replacement tooth...

I've decided to have the tooth pulled and have an appointment for it next Friday. Given my age I figured that with the root canal thee was a very high chance of me having more problems with it at some stage in my life.

I also already have the start of an absess in the tooth as well so I figured that would increase the chance of trouble with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I went to a dentist in Maynooth (possibly the same one!) last week and he quoted me the same €1600 for a RCT and crown on a back molar. I have since been to another dentist who said that RCTs are a waste of money since they almost always cause trouble later down the line and advised an extraction (at cost of €50). When he pulled the tooth, there was the beginnings of an absess forming, meaning regardless of RCT, the tooth would have played up again in a year or so and have to be pulled then. Extraction wasn't sore but feels a bit strange. Was told that as I was young (20) that gap would eventually close by itself and I wouldn't need a replacement tooth...

That is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard....root canals if done well have a 92% success rate. An abcess is why you do the root canal not why it wont work....Now you are missing a tooth and non renewable resource and to have it replaces will cost a lot more. Enjoy your toothless gap.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

eve wrote: »
    I've decided to have the tooth pulled and have an appointment for it next Friday. Given my age I figured that with the root canal thee was a very high chance of me having more problems with it at some stage in my life.

I also already have the start of an absess in the tooth as well so I figured that would increase the chance of trouble with it.

This is a slippery slope......at your age you should be thinking you cant afford to loose your teeth cause they have to last into you old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

Eve,

Went through the same thing this time last year & went for the root canal option.
    It was €300 per root so for the molar it was €900. The crown was about €700.
    You can get up to 40%+ of the fees back provided you are on the higher tax bracket - Just ask the dentist for a Med2 form.

You do need to get the crown so that the tooth will have a far higher chance of lasting, otherwise it could split.

I really don't regret getting it at all. My experience was very positive with the dentist I was referred to(and I am the worst person ever to be in a dentist chair). He explained everything well, went through my options including the extraction, & when it came to the procedure it wasn't painful at all - a bit long but that was all.
    When I went back for the 6 month check up he was happy with the results & has said that the tooth shouldn't cause me anymore trouble.:D

If I had had the extraction my teeth would have spread out, causing gaps & I would have ended up having to get orthodontic work - beacuse I am used to having straight teeth & never having had to have braces, I didn't want to have to go through that.

Anyhoo, Good Luck & hope it goes well whatever you decide

Thanks to everyone who replied. Just thought i would fill you all in.

I decided to get the tooth extracted and I'm just back from the dentist. I spent about an hour in the chair (that doesn't include numbing time) and it turns out that the tooth was dead about 2 years. It had also meant that the root was completely rotten and came out in numerous pieces-every time she grabbed one piece it just broke off the remainder. The root was also too close to the bone to be able to get it out so she was forced to use the drill to remove some of the bone. I also needed sutures so Ive to go back next Thursday to get them removed. She also said that given the state of the tooth there was an increased chance of a root canal failing, if I had gone that route.

My tongue is now completely numb-free so it's only a matter of time before the pain kicks in :(

Went back today to have the sutures removed after spending the last day in a lot of pain. Turns out that even though I had 2 sets of antibiotics 3 weeks before the extraction and again for 5 days after the extraction, I still have an infection where the tooth was. I've now been given my 4th set of antibiotics in 4 weeks and she packed the hole with a brown fibrous material that is supposed to have bacteria killing and pain killing properties. Pain has eased but that may be to do with the Panodol I took earlier. Fingers crossed this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Had stage one root canal done this morning myself! Back lower left molar. I also have my wisdom teeth. I've already got a filling and 2 (surgical) extractions in my upper arch (both incisors literally crumble away within weeks of each other-I didn't even know I had a problem) and I want to halt this and I am aiming for a full set of teeth again, pricey as it will be. I'm looking at €1400 to get to crown stage with this one this morning. The upper gaps will need bridging but I'm thinking of implants $$$$$$$$ so as to avid paring down the adjacent teeth.

I found the procedure almost pain free apart from when the intitially started drilling and hit the pulp, but he did warn me that it would happen and he would then have direct access to numb the 'nerve' directly. It took quite a few injections to numb it down to a point where he was even ready to start drilling.

It's certainly not as bad as people make out. Once he is at the stage of removing the pulp you can't feel a thing. Glad to hear I can claim so much of it back from Revenue though I'd still have got it done.

My dentist said lower molars are vital to keep if at all possible for all the reasons lomb listed (almost verbatim!). Food traps can easily open up as the upper tooth erupts further because there's nothing for it to bite against and so you can be looking at upper molar loss in later life. €1400 seems like 'good value' when you hear what could happen if it's not rebuilt.

I'll probably go to Germany for my implants (which must wait until the jaw bone heals) as it's a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 inspectorcheese

That is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard....root canals if done well have a 92% success rate. An abcess is why you do the root canal not why it wont work....Now you are missing a tooth and non renewable resource and to have it replaces will cost a lot more. Enjoy your toothless gap.;)

Words of a German dentist... thoght he seemed a little dodgy at the time.

Advertisement