Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How quick does data transfer from 1 HD to a External HD

Options
  • 11-01-2008 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

I just got a new External Hard drive to copy all my files to as i'm installing windows on a new HD and starting over.. But i've got alot of files.. How quick (Using USB 2) will say 1gig transfare? I've got about 200gig that i want to keep.. But in total about 500 !!!

Any ideas what time line i'm looking at for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

NeVeR wrote: »
    I just got a new External Hard drive to copy all my files to as i'm installing windows on a new HD and starting over.. But i've got alot of files.. How quick (Using USB 2) will say 1gig transfare? I've got about 200gig that i want to keep.. But in total about 500 !!!

Any ideas what time line i'm looking at for it.

depends on the speed of your processor, the speed of your new hard drive, the speed of your old hard drive etc...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm going to guess at 30-40 seconds per gig on average. It'll probably be more than 20 seconds per gig, but less than 2 minutes per gig (using usb2).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I posted some stats from my own system yesterday. USB2 is enough of a limiting factor that that CPU, existing hard drive, etc. should not make any difference. If they are relatively big files, you should get close to 20 MB/s, or around a gig in a little under a minute. If they are small files it might go a bit slower.

Advertisement