Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pagans in the Hills?

Options
  • 11-01-2008 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Just an idea I had last night that I'd like to throw around. How would people feel about a pagan organised walk(s) ( no major ridge walking or anything ) in the Dublin / Wicklow mountains bi-monthly or open to suggestions?

I've spoken to a few people who said they'd love to spend some time in the the mountains but don't own a car & I'd certainly be willing & I'm sure others would for mutual benifit to actually drive a car full up just to enjoy a nice walk in nature. It's often nice to do this alone but also for the benifit of others?

This is just an off-the-cuff idea so if you think it would be an organisational nightmare or people wouldn't go etc.. say.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd be well up for that Rob. Good call!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Not a bad idea at all...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I think the car is the awkward issue.
    If there were enough people interested I know a guy with a mini bus... :)

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe better tho, when the weather picks up?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

naaaa, pissing rain makes it better!!! :D Sliding down a hill on the crest of a landslide - great aul craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kit

Yes....I'm interested in this also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Kharn wrote: »
    naaaa, pissing rain makes it better!!! :D Sliding down a hill on the crest of a landslide - great aul craic!
    Pagan mudfights? I think we're onto something

Baggsie being judge...

OP, defo arrange somethign for the summer... ignore myself and Kharn,..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭thebookofbob

Yes it will probably be a little easier to organise in the Summer. I do find the winter months good for a number of reasons :

You can go the day without no bumping into another soul ( I donot like crowded paths, in fact tend to stay off them ).

You get interesting light, weather and because of 1st point tend to bump into animals much more readily.

also after a few hours in driving wind and lashing rain, the first bit food and drink becomes somewhat orgasmic. Well you certainly appreciate it more anyhow

I go up most weekends so maybe if people are interested PM me & I'll let you know where/when I'm going & welcome to come along. If things get busy I'll move from there to trying to organise something a little more formal

or any suggestions are welcome as always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Jesjes wrote: »
    Pagan mudfights? I think we're onto something

ignore myself and Kharn,..

I'd rather not, the two of you mud wrestling would be fun to watch :D

Thanks Book of bob going to be a bit busy myself for the nest few weekends but it is something I would like to do as soon as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 crowquill

ive left my account dormant for a long time and today finally logged back in and found this thread

this sounds like a really good idea and id certainly be up for it.

nothing like a good auld walk to clear the head and have a good banter so :)

Well, I do have three pairs of mountain boots taht are going to no use in Dublin city.

Maybe post details up here next tiem you plan a walk so we all know if / when we can make it?

• Advertisement

ok I'm heading up this Saturday, late morn for a few hours but that's probably a bit short notice.. Also the weekend after Sat 26th.. same time probably a different place again regardless of weather conditions. In fact nearly most weekends I'm up there somewhere but obviously not 2nd Feb weekend.
    It will probably involve who ever wants to go getting the Dart out to Bray station where I can he parked. I can take up to 4 without anyone going in the boot lol.. I could stretch to coming into town if it was one pick up but it would probably be quicker for everyone to come out since you know what traffic can be like.

Rob

If things get too busy as the year goes on and there are significant numbers if a minibus becomes too hard to organise for whatever reason there is always either the Glendalough bus that goes from Nassau St or the 46b to Glencullen.. or again the Luas to Sandyford & up 3 rock..

I thought we were goign REAL mountain climbing... I know the Bray one (sugarloaf?) is big, but so many people.

Wicklow or someting... c'mon...

I live on the side of Bray head lol.. I was just saying better to head here on the DART instead of me trying to negotiate town because of the timescale/traffic involved but if people are not happy doing that I would go into town if it meant people getting out & about.

I know most peaks in the Lugnaquilla mountain area and Glendalough/Glenmalure valley..

Bray would be the pick up point Jes not the destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Im booked out the next few weekends myself...But interested long term...

*grumbles* stupid college exams and stuff... You'll never take me alive! *loads shotgun and fires at exams..*

Ahhhh, thanks for explaining their Thaed. THought we were going up that mountain. I cant make it because of exams either, but maybe in a few weekends. Sounds wonderful!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Sounds like a great idea. I too am blocked for the next few weekends due to exams (perhaps a pagan exam support thread would be an idea ;)) but I'd love to go along some time!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

ok I'm heading up this Saturday, late morn for a few hours but that's probably a bit short notice.. Also the weekend after Sat 26th.. same time probably a different place again regardless of weather conditions. In fact nearly most weekends I'm up there somewhere but obviously not 2nd Feb weekend.
    It will probably involve who ever wants to go getting the Dart out to Bray station where I can he parked. I can take up to 4 without anyone going in the boot lol.. I could stretch to coming into town if it was one pick up but it would probably be quicker for everyone to come out since you know what traffic can be like.

Rob

If there are more than 4 and I am thinking of joining in. I also have a car that is often put to that very use. Not always for mountain walks, but good long ones in interesting places at very least.
    I have a small Clio and If I can go along on a weekend, can take 3 or 4 people also, providing that they can take my taste in music!
    As with Agent J, I'm very booked up until mid Feb. After that its week to week basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

great idea, live nearby and am always out and about in the woods.
    dont think i'd go with ye though, not because ye arent lovely (Ye are! :D)
    but i dont play well with others, blame scott cunningham ;)
    maybe different days in different locales visiting old sites or interesting natural places?

• Advertisement

nerin wrote: »
    but i dont play well with others, blame scott cunningham ;)

?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

"solitary practitioners" first book i read on witchy related topics....
    dont feel bad for not getting my unfunny joke :)

Well he did write more the just that 1 book, but the offer in this thread is not to go off and do rites and rituals but just for to go climb a mountain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dixyane

Merry Meet,
    I’m Dixyane a friend give me your forum link….
    I will with pleasure com too, also if I’m not a good hiker :(, and I have a car. Unfortunately not before the 3rd weekend in February.

Heading up the Glenmalure valley up to Fraughan Rock Glen on Sun Morning if anyone is interested PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Moonspell

were there any walks in the end? or if still going on is a great idea, I'm up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I too would be interested in such a venture :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 londubh

is this still being run?
    sounds interesting

Hi to be honest nothing really came of this. There was interest but it's difficult to actually organise something such as this that suits people so I've just carried on walking up there myself.. Also realised it wasn't really walking I've been doing.The epic scrambles up near vertical slopes and trudging through bogs barefoot doesn't suit everyone. So eventually I gave up on the idea of trying to organise anything & just carried on my regular outings up to Glenmalure and South Wicklow.

For those without transport though, the St Kevins bus to Glendalough runs twice a day from Nassau street, and the ( don't quote me on this ) 46A Bus runs up to Glencullen.. There's also the 65 from Eden Quay to Blessington if you want to approach the mountains from the west.

• Advertisement
Advertisement