Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The cost of Niquitin CQ

Options
  • 11-01-2008 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

I've been on these patches since new year (been smoking for years, failed miserably giving up numberous times etc ...), and so far so good.

One thing strikes me though; when I went to boots to buy the stuff, I found that each stage costs the same.

i.e : for the full amount of nicitine, half the amount, and half that amount again.

is that not a bit of a rip-off ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Heres a quick tip for you.....

When you get to step 3(7mg), buy step 2 (14mg) and cut them in half with a scissors...so essentially you are getting 14 patches for the price of seven....

You could also do the same with the 21mg ones too??

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭conky_05

Feelgood wrote: »
    Heres a quick tip for you.....

When you get to step 3(7mg), buy step 2 (14mg) and cut them in half with a scissors...so essentially you are getting 14 patches for the price of seven....

You could also do the same with the 21mg ones too??

it thought that too but :
    Can I cut up the patch to receive less therapeutic nicotine?

The NiQuitin (nicotine) Patch is designed to gradually release therapeutic nicotine throughout the day, providing just enough to reduce the cravings and withdrawal symptoms when you quit smoking. Extensive clinical testing has established the appropriate amounts of therapeutic nicotine for each of the three Steps. Cutting patches is therefore not recommended because it may affect delivery of therapeutic nicotine into the blood.

http://www.click2quit.co.uk/help-stopping-smoking/nicotine-patches

Dont mind that, they are just trying to squeeze more money from you.

Basic maths... If 100% = 14mg then 50% = 7mg....

Personally I thought that using cut 14mg patches was better than the poxy small 7mg patches anyway. Theres more of a kick from them...and they stick better!. Cut them into triangle shapes...

Worked for me anyway, sure try it with one patch and see how you get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I would go with Feelgood on this one. A certain amount of what goes on is just pure money-making. I was disgusted to find out that Nicorette gum works out the same price as cigarettes: ~€35 per 105 pack. 105 of Wrigley's best would cost just over €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Cutting the patch will increase the rate of nicotene into your bloodstream.
    You are essentially creating a larger area for the nicotene to escape from the patch.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    Cutting the patch will increase the rate of nicotene into your bloodstream.
    You are essentially creating a larger area for the nicotene to escape from the patch.
    But since you are cutting the patch in half, you're also reducing the area by 50%, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

patch.jpg

Look at the patch.

Cutting it in half will open more area on the nicotine area of the patch, thus increasing the flow of nicotine to the body.

The nicotine leaks our quicker and negates the whole point of using the patch.

The extra cost is a bit of a bitch, but if the patch works, then it's better in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭LaVidaLoca

But those patches are a huge scam.

They are simply switching your nicotine intake from one form (cigarettes) to another one (patches)

It is no different to an alcoholic trying to give up drinking by switching from red wine to white wine.

I tried to quit a million times using those things, and I only succeeded by simply stopping smoking and promising myself I would never have another.

(I also gave uip booze for a while at the beginning) Ive been off more than a year now, and I feel fantastic and I aint ever going back.

I couldnt beleive those awful ads they had on telly "Lose the cigarette, keep the fire!"

What a load of balls. Your body does not want or need nicotine, and will thank you for giving it up, by giving you great big surging waves of peace happiness and pleasure when you do.

My take on this would be that, nicotine is a more addictive substance than heroin and the majority of ex-heroin addicts have successfully quit by using methadone. So I would think of nicotine patches as methadone for the smoker.

Sure its great to quit cold turkey, but not everyone has the will power to do this. Patches help the smoker to get through the hard bits and then use will power to fight the rest.

I know essentially you are replacing nicotine with nicotine but there are two vital pro's here..

a) Using patches you are only getting nicotine into the bloodstream, and possibly a few other less harmful substances than you would be if you were smoking, plus there is no smoke inhalation so you are giving your lungs a break.

b) You get the chance to break the habit of the 10 O'Clock smoke break or the smoke after dinner.

Personally after using the patches I realized that it's not cigarettes I was addicted to, just nicotine and that made it a lot easier for me to quit..

LaVidaLoca wrote: »
    But those patches are a huge scam.
    In fairness anything that does help people to quit is A Good Thing, and they have worked for a lot of people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement