Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sign On Dates

Options
  • 11-01-2008 5:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi i had previous written this question in another thread, but it got no replies so i will create a seperate thread for all to see.
    I need to know are the Sign on dates fixed? Like for me it was 3 days ago the 8th Jan, the next is the 5th feb, will the on after that be the 4th march?
    I need to know because im travelling a week around feb/march and i need to know when to be back by?
    What would happen if i rang the office and told them i would be a day late or something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

If you're travelling for a week then you are not available for work.
    You must notify the Local Office that you are taking holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Phil01

I got to notify them that im going to cork for a wedding, are u serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Phil01 wrote: »
    I got to notify them that im going to cork for a wedding, are u serious?

Well why should the taxpayer finance yr trip to Cork to attend a wedding when you should be jobseeking, thats what you get yr allowance/benefit for, But the government does give you some limited holidays each year which you can use to attend the wedding

OK, while all this information is helpful, it doesnt answer my main question. I need to know the date so i can return to sign on.
    Also dont give me crap about taxpayer paying for my trip, are u trying to say people on welfare are not allowed to travel... please dont give me that bs. I'm sure as hell not going to check with the dole office to see if im allowed to go to cork for a mates wedding, taxpayers money or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

You get 2 weeks in a calendar year if signing on. Tell the dole office before you go. You will have to call into the office when you return to sign on.

• Advertisement

Thanks MacGyver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭johnmahon010186

The signing dates are fixed at every 28 days for unemployment assistance/benefit.

You'll need to notify the dole office anyway if you collect your money in the post office and you wont be back in time to collect it as it only stays in the post office for 5 days.

Anyway, you should have a job by then!

Phil01 wrote: »
    OK, while all this information is helpful, it doesnt answer my main question. I need to know the date so i can return to sign on.
    Also dont give me crap about taxpayer paying for my trip, are u trying to say people on welfare are not allowed to travel... please dont give me that bs. I'm sure as hell not going to check with the dole office to see if im allowed to go to cork for a mates wedding, taxpayers money or not.

you should be looking for a Job to support yourself, and it seems that you have no intention to be off welfare by March 08 as your post would seem to indicate, If a Pole or other East European can come to Ireland and find work within days of arriving off the plane with ltd English skills, then there is no excuse for the likes of you to be on benefits long term, unless you are just playing the system.

c4cat wrote: »
    you should be looking for a Job to support yourself, and it seems that you have no intention to be off welfare by March 08 as your post would seem to indicate, If a Pole or other East European can come to Ireland and find work within days of arriving off the plane with ltd English skills, then there is no excuse for the likes of you to be on benefits long term, unless you are just playing the system.

Wow seems like you know me.... A matter of fact, firstly: i don't have to explain myself to you one bit. But for fun i will. I'm a graduate finished my 3rd year Computer Engineering, when i go to apply for jobs they all require that i have at least 4 years experience, due to the logistics some jobs i can apply for and some i can't. Who do u think u are referring to me or anyone else on welfare as "the likes of you" People who are on welfare are on for a reason and deserve respect there are no less human. I'm only on welfare less than a month, so i am not on long term, my question is due to the next sign on date, should i still be on it by then i will need to know. I got to count for every possibility. It seems perhaps you lack the relevant knowledge about Eastern Europeans or maybe u are a bit naive since they can get jobs since they are extremely highly employable since they work for a hell of a lot less than an irish employee. I have no interest in working for a refuse company so i think i shall remain on welfare until something that suits my qualifications comes up. Only if that is alright with you.!!

I respect anyone who is in genuine need of welfare, but for those who do not need it then thats another matter, You asked a question and I kindly advised you correctly but your response was I quote

"I'm sure as hell not going to check with the dole office to see if im allowed to go to cork for a mates wedding, taxpayers money or not"
    which shows that you have a blatent disregard for the welfare system as you are not willing to follow the rules.

and You also said "I think i shall remain on welfare until something that suits my qualifications comes up."

Well you will find that when you get be interviewed by your Employment adviser, they are going to tell you something like this:

, Welfare is there to help those in genuine need only and if one is claiming Jobseekers benefit or allowance then eventually one must accept work that is available and what one can perform, even if one is over qualified IE eventually one can not refuse work in what is other then their own trade/profession just because they can not find work in their own trade/profession. If you do not lower your expectations in the current Job market, Then your welfare payments will come to an end. Because the taxpayer is not willing to support you whilst clearly you are able to support yourself, maybe not in your chosen career

• Advertisement

Ok, i respect your point of view, but i feel your kinda getting the wrong end on what im saying.
    I'm sure as hell not going to check with the dole office to see if im allowed to go to cork for a mates wedding, taxpayers money or not"
    When i said this i mean like everyday, people on welfare surely can take holidays too and not have to inform the office if they are heading to cork for a weekend or leaving their county.You make it seem like people on welfare dont have a right to go away for a weekend. To have to inform the office of this is just ridiculous.
    "I think i shall remain on welfare until something that suits my qualifications comes up."
    While i understand the need to find a job that maybe lower, this comment was in relation between finding work im qualified for and work that i could do. I'm sure if we all wanted we can easily get jobs in something, there are plenty of undesiarble jobs out there. But we don't. I'm a qualified engineer, so my industry is computers, sure i know if i can't find something in engineering, i should look somewhere lower down the ladder, but i still want to work in the computer industry. So i agree with what u are saying. But i'm not blatent disregarding anything. If i can get a job in something lower that is perfect for me, i just want a job in my industry not as something im not qualified to do.
    And i have reflected these feeling to welfare officers and fas officers. I think we are getting way off-topic on this.

Well what you do over a weekend is of no business to the dole office or the taxpayer, as I said I gave you an answer based on your question about going away for one week or so whilst claiming benefits.

Also as you have stated:-
    "if we all wanted we can easily get jobs in something" You have hit the nail smack on the head there!!

I am sure you started looking for work in yr chosen line of work some months before finishing your education and if one is still unemployed now, then one had better get some kind of work experience. Be it in a callcentre or office doing late shift work so one can continue to be looking for ones own chosen career path during the day. If there is more then one person applying for an IT entry position, I would choose the candidate who is working in a callcentre or office over one who has been on the dole for some months because one can give a work reference which is respect that has been earned by oneself. Respect can not be gotten any other way then by earning it and one can earn it by being responsible and contribute to our community we live in and not expecting our community to support us till we can get a job in something "that is perfect for me" . If every one went on the dole to wait for that perfect job for them, then the system would collapse and there would be no welfare for those that really deserve and need the welfare sate to take care of them. Anyone who is on the dole and just waiting for that perfect job to come by is quite simply abusing the welfare state if they could take on take on another line of work while in the meantime carry on looking for the own chosen line of work. To put it in a nutshell Its ones own responsibility to take care of themselves financially if one is fit and able to do so and not the taxpayers responsibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I'm going to lock this thread as i believe i answered the questin regarding holiday entitlements above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement