Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

27th-31st 2000 Worst Snowfall in 30yrs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

It was the deepest i remember alright, but it only lay for a day or two if i recall..Got married in 95 and on boxing day that year it snowed heavy and then all froze for a week, that was the worst winter i remember

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I got a dollop of snow during that spell on the 27th Dec that drifted all the way to the east coast from a little system that developed in the Atlantic. Got 2 inches from it and lasted for a couple of days after it.Was clear but bitter here for the remainder of that snap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it was a good event providing 3 days of lying snow, however I was in Co. Offally at the time and we had about 4 maybe 5 inchs there, I heard that we only got about 2 to 3 inchs out of it in meath but I wasnt here so am not 100% sure on that one but the event of last week here certainly was a bigger snowfall for meath compared to the 2000 event. Last week saw between 5 to 7 inchs across much of the county but it was very short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Gonzo wrote: »
    it was a good event providing 3 days of lying snow, however I was in Co. Offally at the time and we had about 4 maybe 5 inchs there, I heard that we only got about 2 to 3 inchs out of it in meath but I wasnt here so am not 100% sure on that one but the event of last week here certainly was a bigger snowfall for meath compared to the 2000 event. Last week saw between 5 to 7 inchs across much of the county but it was very short lived.

I have pictures of that event- will try to dig them up when I get a chance but the snow depth was nearly as much as what we saw last week. The snow was better though as it was far colder so it didn't thaw at all, even on roads and pavements. It lasted around 4-5 days iirc and a gritter only got round to our road by the last day before it all thawed. The landscape looked perfect though; I really remember the way it froze each night and even the sunshine in the day couldn't melt it one bit (until the 29th/30th came with milder air of course.)
    What was the synoptic set up exactly. Was it just heavy showers in a north/n' westerly wind? Donegal must have got a real pasting.

Btw, is anyone else finding that the videos wont play for them? I think it could be because I'm using firefox though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I drove from Dublin to Waterford on the 28th (I think), delighted, thinking it would be snowy down in the SE as well.

But as usual, I was disappointed... God, to think that there are now kids growing up in Waterford who have never seen snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

That was a memorable event alright, could actually make a snowball with ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Air temperatures down to -14C :eek: at the time.

Probably mentioned in the clips?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

anyone got a link to gfs charts for those dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭squonk

I remember I was at home in Clare that Christmas and even where my parents live, 3 miles from the sea, we had a great covering of snow. It lasted about 4 days as well which was great. My main memory is of heading to the pub about the 28th. or so along a very snowey road that I hadn't seen the likes of since 82 and, my god was it cold! It felt bitter and there was a strong enough breeze blowing also. While we were there some snow showers drifted in from the sea also so we had fresh snowfall walking home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

fricatus wrote: »
    I drove from Dublin to Waterford on the 28th (I think), delighted, thinking it would be snowy down in the SE as well.

But as usual, I was disappointed... God, to think that there are now kids growing up in Waterford who have never seen snow.

I remeber coming out of a nightclub in Waterford City in Feb 1993 (possibly 1994) i think about 0200, and there was 4-5 inches everywhere,especially in the people's park,most of it was gone by midday the next day though--was well surpised at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

rc28 wrote: »
    I have pictures of that event- will try to dig them up when I get a chance but the snow depth was nearly as much as what we saw last week. The snow was better though as it was far colder so it didn't thaw at all, even on roads and pavements. It lasted around 4-5 days iirc and a gritter only got round to our road by the last day before it all thawed. The landscape looked perfect though; I really remember the way it froze each night and even the sunshine in the day couldn't melt it one bit (until the 29th/30th came with milder air of course.)
    What was the synoptic set up exactly. Was it just heavy showers in a north/n' westerly wind? Donegal must have got a real pasting.

Btw, is anyone else finding that the videos wont play for them? I think it could be because I'm using firefox though.

they won't work for me either.

i recall this joyous occasion. we had nine inches of lying snow by the second day:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I have Monthly Weather Bulletin for this month. I'll see if I can do some scans over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

That event gave about 6 inches or close to it, I'm on the Offaly Westmeath Border. I do recall that before the main event it had been freezing the day before and the ground was near frozen with a dusting of snow.Perfect preparation.
    It started snowing about 11 oclock that morning and the forecast mentioned nothing but some snow showers probable that day. I thought thats all it was going to be.
    7 hrs later it finally stopped and we had the best snowfall I can remember and it lasted for about 3 days.
    As with all the best weather events, it was unexpected.;)

Advertisement