Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batch renaming in XP and reading in Mac?

Options
  • 10-01-2008 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

I want to batch rename a load of files in Windows XP Pro.

This will result in a file number appearing in parentheses at the end of each file name.

i.e. (1) (2) etc..etc...

The files will need to be read on a Mac. Will this be possible?

I've just had a nightmare day where a load of files could not be read on a Mac because they had one full stop too many in each name. That's why I'm renaming them, and I need to know if ( ) is OK.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 i_kenefick

Dinarius wrote: »
    I want to batch rename a load of files in Windows XP Pro.

This will result in a file number appearing in parentheses at the end of each file name.

i.e. (1) (2) etc..etc...

The files will need to be read on a Mac. Will this be possible?

I've just had a nightmare day where a load of files could not be read on a Mac because they had one full stop too many in each name. That's why I'm renaming them, and I need to know if ( ) is OK.

I don't know if this helps... but it might be just as easy to copy the files to the mac and create an automator workflow to rename the files and copy them to whatever folder you want.
    Note: Automator is included from 10.4+

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks.

No, it doesn't help. I don't own a Mac. Hate them. It's my clients who use them.

Anyone else?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You should probably be OK with Modern (OS X) Macs as long as the filesystem is right- what are these files on? If a hard disk needs to be FAT32 rather than NTFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Sorted!

Just got an email from the client ( I had sent a small Jpeg sample) and using () is OK with Mac.

Phew!

Thanks to all.

D.

Advertisement