Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightning knocked out surge protected PC

Options
  • 10-01-2008 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi,

I lost my last PC to a lightening strike. Had a surge protector on the plug but didnt expect the dsl/phone line to get me.
    So when I bought a new PC, I also bought a Belkin SurgeMaster with telephone protection.

But following last weeks lightening storms, my surge protected PC is knocked out again. The surgemaster is supposed to protect up to 19,500 Maximum Spike Amperage.
    Maybe the motherboard isnt frizzled, but it wont turn on and there is an amber aux LED lighting inside the box implying that there is power getting to the box.

Anyone hear of someone having a surge protected PC knocked out by lightening?

Many thanks in advance for any input on the matter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

im not up with how much amperage this lightning jazz produces, but the belkin surge protectors are pretty good. Have you tried plugging the pc into another wall socket without the belkin surge protector?

If so try resetting the cmos of your motherboard ( open up the pc, look at the bottom of the motherboard for a small 1€ sized round battery and remove it for 5 mins, put it back in and close up the case ) IF it turns on all is good and well !

If not your in luck, as im pretty sure the belkin surge protectrs have a guarantee with them of upto 90k or something stupid like that. So check with belkin how to make a claim for your brand new pc ( even though i bet it wont be that easy as it will require something stupid like a engineer's report, house insurance and for mars and venus to be alligned with the m42 orion nebula )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Even the best surge protectors are unlikely to save your computer from a lightening strike. Most surge protectors do have a warranty if they fail to protect your equipment as Anti mentions so look up about it.
    I had two computer hit with lightening and both times it was the 56k modem. It still worked after I removed it so I guess I was very lucky. I just wouldn't chance it even with the highest rated surge protector and probably turn off and unplug everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Thanks for the input guys.
    I bought the best Belkin series (Maximum rather than Home or Superior) - protects against 75,000 amps supposedly.
    I'll check the warranty but as ye said it could end up difficult to claim.

Its still under warranty from Dell but lightening isnt covered.
    Maybe it wasnt lightening, but its too much of a coincidence that it went the morning after a storm. And as I said, it isnt the power supply in that there is an LED lighting inside the box.

I'll try resetting the CMOS and hope for the best. Thanks for the tip.

Advertisement