Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a poll whore?

Options
  • 10-01-2008 2:51pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I remember reading a study into online and phone in polls that websites, tv shows, newspapers etc run to ascertain how accurate they can be and what type of people vote. The study, in summary, generally found that opinionated people tended to be the higher users of polls therefore rendering them usually pointless. Also the wording of the question usually hard a part to play with the outcome.

I just stumbled across a poll in the Gaming section where it looks like there was a few spoil votes thrown in for the sake of it.

So whats your view on poles? Are you a poll whore, voting in everything and anything regardless of whether or not you know anything about it? Do you set out to spoil polls? Do you dig threesomes?

Comments please!

Are you a poll whore? 58 votes

Hell yeah, i scour boards.ie for polls!
    0% 0 votes
    Whats a poll?
    18% 11 votes
    No, boards.ie polls are too nerdy
    1% 1 vote
    I only vote on topics that im interested in
    3% 2 votes
    Feck the polls, threesomes FTW!
    43% 25 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    8% 5 votes
    Move it to PI
    18% 11 votes
    Ghey thread
    5% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Archeron

There should really be a poll for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Where's the poll?

I can't answer unless there's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Archeron wrote: »
    There should really be a poll for this.

+1

And where the mention of Atari Jaguar??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Its there now, hold your horses dudes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

faceman wrote: »
    Its there now, hold your horses dudes!

You sure took your sweet time about it. I nearly had a panic attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Archeron

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Thats my daily poll vote sorted.

I'm not a poll whore, more of a poll floozie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

*AHEM* .....yore ma is a poll whore

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

*AHEM* .....yore ma is a poll whore

I would have added it as an option but i didnt want to upset the mods! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Visit tv.com and look at the number of unaired TV episodes that have received numerous 10/10 ratings for an idea of the validity of polls. Generally when I look at a poll result, I subtract 90% and use the remaining result to get a truer indication. So if something gets a rating of say 96%, I take that as meaning 60%. It's very rare you see something go below 90% due to the sheer numbers of rabid fanboys and shills.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Dammit I though it said "are you a Pole Whore" and was looking forward to the replies !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Polls make me feel my little opinion is being counted. Very good for self-esteem. Can we move this to PI now? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I only vote on topics I'm interested in although I never take them seriously due to people taking the piss on them. (including myself)

P.S You forgot the YORE MA! option on your poll. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

faceman wrote: »
    So whats your view on poles?

Comments please!

Sorry but how did people miss this part of the OPs post?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

PolLz Are Fact!11!
    Poles are hot!! FACT!!1!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

No! I didn't vote :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

I normally read what has to be said before voting and then forget to vote...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,915 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

where the hell did Atari Jaguar come from anyway and why is it now feature of almost every poll in AH?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Overheal wrote: »
    where the hell did Atari Jaguar come from anyway and why is it now feature of almost every poll in AH?

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Atari_jaguar
    It's not a new thing; you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

He never said it was new. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

When I was an AH mod, I would sometimes screw around with the poll questions and results.
    It amused me slightly.

One time some guy sent me a whiny PM because I added a couple of joke options to his poll. He wasn't impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Poll Smoking with Dave Gorman!

Advertisement