Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth GPS receiver & K800i

Options
  • 10-01-2008 1:38pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

1st post here, so please be patient. I'm a bit clueless on GPS.

If I were to buy and pair the above, what else would In need to get the phone to work as a sat nav device? I assume a software package of some sort?

Is it a good idea? Will it work?

I don't need a full on GPS gadget btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's not a great idea to be honest. The k800i isn't designed to run large applications, so any GPS applications will be very limited in terms of functinoality. Also, only a very small number of GPS receivers will be compatible.

Better off using something like a Nokia N770 or PocketPC.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I have access to an Xda. Would that be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Yep that would be much better, I'm in California using a htc touch at the moment (same brand as the xda, just the newer model) and tomtom ppc6 works perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I don't need a full on GPS gadget btw.

Hi,

I have Mobile Google maps working on a K800i & bluetooth GPS.
    I cached a certain level of map detail on the PC and downloaded it to the phone to avoid the data charges from O2.

Only started with it, so haven't tried the "getting directions" service yet.
    But I did have it tracking my position as I drove around Dublin/Meath.
    You will need a data card for the K800i, as the default 40Mb or so on the phone will not be adequate.

Details here : Post on K800i and GPS

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lossy

Hi,

I have Mobile Google maps working on a K800i & bluetooth GPS.
    I cached a certain level of map detail on the PC and downloaded it to the phone to avoid the data charges from O2.

Only started with it, so haven't tried the "getting directions" service yet.
    But I did have it tracking my position as I drove around Dublin/Meath.
    You will need a data card for the K800i, as the default 40Mb or so on the phone will not be adequate.

Details here : Post on K800i and GPS

CreepingDeath,
    Can you tell me which bluetooth GPS receiver you are using for the k800i?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Lossy wrote:
    Can you tell me which bluetooth GPS receiver you are using for the k800i?

I picked up a cheap bluetooth gps receiver about 2 years ago on eBay, well was about €60 at the time. So there's probably better/cheaper out there now.

Says "Super III high sensitivity bluetooth receiver" on the box, and I think it's model number is BT74R.

The following links are nearly identical to it, mine was grey.

Link to similar eBay item
    Link to amazon item

Takes around a minute to start up, can work indoors but only on a window sill or car dashboard.

I don't think it's anything special, probably in the budget category, so I reckon any bluetooth gps device would work with
    mobile google maps too if you don't have any special requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dunnetd

Hi CreepingDeath,

Could you let me know if the Bluetooth GPS receiver in the link below has the right spec to work adequately with Nav4all or a similar map software to track my postion on my Sony K800i.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/BLUETOOTH-GPS-RECEIVER-for-K550i-K810i-N73-N95-E65-UK_W0QQitemZ280199548051QQihZ018QQcategoryZ80085QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ta

Advertisement