Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Long Till I Can Claim Job Seekers Benefit ?

Options
  • 10-01-2008 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm just wondering if i gave up work today how long do i have to wait before i can claim the job seekers benefit, is it true i have to wait 6 weeks ? Also i live with my partner in our own house, would i be able to claim some sort of mortgage relief too ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Depends on the reason you left the job.
    Can be anything from 0 to 9 weeks from the date you left work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Ok so say i left cos i was being bullied ?

or

I left because i want to go back to college to finish exams ?

Which would be quicker or how do they decide ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Usually they will write to the employer to find out why you left.

Leaving because you were bullied might get some sympathy. You should submit a detailed statement of what happened and why were forced out. This will most likely contradict the reason your former employer will give.

Leaving to finish exams requires a letter from college stating that you have now finished college.

It's really up to how you present your case when making a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Ok thanks very much for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Zorba wrote: »
    Ok so say i left cos i was being bullied ?

or

I left because i want to go back to college to finish exams ?

Which would be quicker or how do they decide ?

If you left to go to college that you are not available for work so you would have no entitlement to the Dole. If you have a bullying problem you should seek advice from Citizens advice. In the case of being bullied you could claim constructive dismissal IE being left with no choice but to leave the job. In such a case you can bring a case against the company and claim compansation in the Labour courts. Read the following link and see what you think from there

http://www.siptu.ie/YourRights/TUFGuideToLabourLaw/SafetyHealthWelfareatWork/BullyingInTheWorkplace/

• Advertisement
Advertisement