Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Cats temporarily?

Options
  • 10-01-2008 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Myself and the wife are having some work done on our house , its gonna take three months and we have to move to temporary accomadation . We'll be bringin our two little pals with us. Whats the chances when we move they'll try and find their way back home? Should we keep them in all the time in the new place and if we do that will they bolt the first chance they get?

These cats love their comfort but they do like to go out and about and survey the territory etc. I dont want to keep em in all the time cause I think its cruel not to let them be cats and do what cats do outdoors but we really dont want them wandering off and coming to harm?

Anyway any advice or experience would be appreciated, the missus is gonna ring our vet today too........ the state o me , but feck it they're great little pals heheh.

Cheers
    Cat man;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

They should be fine, but i would keep them in for the first week and let them get their scent around the new place.
    when you do let them out, maybe stick some food at the back door so they know this is where to come home to when they want food :D

When you move back to your own house, keep them in again as they will probably have forgotten the old house. Remember cats do not like change, even moving the furniture freaks them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Cheers for that, makes sense to keep em in for the first while. Apparently tere is some plug in thing that you can get that humans cant detect but is pretty agreeable to cats so we were thinking of getting one of them aswell....that said we dont want two stoners as a result:D

Get some Catnip instead to be honest...

Yeah we got a toy before with catnip but they seemed less than interested ? Maybe we need the hardcore pure catnip weed?:eek:

Indy the daughter of Lola seems to love sitting in boxes or hiding in laundry baskets mainly.

Lola seems to like doing scratchy side of the face off everything you have in your hands , or alternatively loves an aul sit on top of the laptop specially when the wife is trying to do some work hahah its gas.

I figure we leave a nice supply of boxes and laptops around the new place and we're on a winner :D

Yes sophie (daughter of Asia) is the same. Loves being in boxes, paper bags and especially Laundry.

• Advertisement

heheh Ya gotta love that , little heads peerin out at ya.

I think the offspring tend to be bossy as hell. Lola was a stray when she adopted us , we kept Indy and now she thinks she's the boss of everyone, the noise out of her sometime is gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 HunterS

Just be carful. Pets have been known to return to their old homes. Remember that film "homward bound" is a true story (2 dogs and a cat travelling over the rockys to find their vacationing owners).:)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I would recommend that you keep them in for at least 2-3 weeks to be on the safe side. Of course I wouldn't let them outside at all. Most cats when outside spend a large percentage of that time asleep under a bush. They will pounce on a few things here and there, but that can be recreated with a toy. I think it is quite telling that most strays that find themselves a safe indoor home never even look to get outside afterwards.

Check out www.kittenadoption.ie for loads of information on cats.

Good luck with your temporary move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I reckon after a week they'll be fine. My parents have a house in the UK and go over a few times a year. The cat goes with them and is let out no problems. He doesn't forget even though he's only there every so often.

He was staying with family over xmas and he escaped. My uncle was freaking out that he'd lost our beloved pet and was searching for him. Then the cat saunters past him and walks in the house and goes asleep!

If you're cats are smart enough you should have no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 paulkorky1

Bring them to a cattery for the inital move, and then bring them back to your new place keep them indoors for 2 weeks and when you do let them out, go with them. Sprinkle the litter (used)in the garden of the new home so they get the scent and stay. And the same again when moving back. this works, if your looking for a cattery this is the one I use xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hope that helps

korky:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement