Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lacie Hdd's

Options
  • 10-01-2008 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

folks

anyone got feedback on these? my s***gate freeagent went after 3 weeks and i lost 400gigs on her, sussing out a lacie drive my flatmate can get. are these good? they dont manufacture their own drives do they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Lacie Drives have Maxtor Hardrives in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

hmmm
    I heard about maxtor also? good or bad?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They've got a poor reputation for reliability. They're now owned by Seagate also. I've never had a Maxtor drive fail on me but plenty of users here have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Including me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

They have a bad reputation for overheating, especially those lego brick things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

On a good note , WD hard drives seem to be fairly reliable , I have 3 external and all working fine. Never had an issue with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Got advised by a mate some time ago...........Never buy a hd thats name starts with an "M" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Maxtors are absolutely fine, no less reliable than any other drive.

I've had around the same number of failures from Maxtor and Seagate. Maxtor's return procedure was marginally easier as they are based in Bray, Seagates had to go to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Maxtors are absolutely fine, no less reliable than any other drive.

Cannot agree with that , the Diamondmax and the Onetouch had a dismal failure rate ....they are well known for it and ultimately it led to the company being absorbed by Seagate , ( explains the same number of fails!) .... it led to sites like this ....

http://www.alsheating.com/maxtorharddrivefailurerate.htm

Personally , the only drives I have seen consistently fail over the last couple of years were Maxtor.

And an interesting link here , with a truly uncanny last post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055209681

I have run three (original) One Touches 24x7 for years and years without any problems whatsoever. They were particularly well designed external enclosures, ran cool and with good power saving features.

I've had two Maxtor Diamondmax and two Seagate Barracudas fail on me. This is a higher percentage failure from Seagate, YMMV

EDIT: This thread sums it up well I think. Although I've had both success and failures with IBM/Hitachi too ;-)

• Advertisement

Presumably your Seagate Freeagent is still under warranty and will be replaced though, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I have had 2 Maxtor's fail on me, 1 is acting funny and one of my friends had
    one of those cool lego bricks. Then it died, he opened it up and guess what
    was inside.....? A dirty Maxtor of course.
    Just imagine if they were still doing business and were selling 1TB hardrives!
    I think I would chew my own face off if I lost 1TB of data.

Actually thinking about it any Maxtors that have failed on me were DiamondMax. The ones that have been ultra-reliable have been MaxLine drives- I think my One Touches had MaxLines inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I've the terabyte drive from LaCie for about 18 months now. Works perfectly, backing up sh1t about every three weeks. Cost me five hundred bucks at the time, but they've dropped to two fifty for the firewire version, and I'll be buying another identical one.

Advertisement