Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man O'War (Old Games Workshop Game)

Options
  • 09-01-2008 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Does anyone out there still play Man O'War? It was a miniature game similar to Pirates of the Spanish Main. I recently got back into in and have picked up a few things on Ebay. I'd interesting in buying any MO'W stuff that people don't want or maybe meeting up at a Con with anyone who's till playing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

You'd be doing well to find someone still playing that with any kind of regularity, given how long it's been out of production.

Still, if you bring your stuff round your local games shop or uni soc you might be able to drum up some interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bazzmundo

Yeah, I'm well on my way to doing that kind of thing. You'd be surprised though, it's got quite a big following on the web and the stuff fetches good prices on Ebay. A lot of people rate it as the best game Games Workshop produced. The problem is that once people bought a 1000 point fleet or two they didn't have to get anything else so Games Workshop reckoned it wasn't profitable enough and distracted people from the main games. For instance this whole Apocalypse thing is a total scam, 'look here's some rules for massive armies - now you'll have to buy a massive army'. I don't even remember the 40k game play being that good when I played.

I disagree. I think Apoc is great. Given how long I've been playing GW games, I already have the massive armies, so this now gives me the opportunity to get them out.

That's absolutely fine but do you think that's why GW have come up with Apoc.? I think that it's another cynical money making scheme like the sales people who just won't leave you alone, selling Devastator squads in boxes of 5 even though a Devastator squad has 10 marine in them etc. It's fair enough because they're a PLC but lets call a spade a spade.

GW are a company, and the aim of every company is to make money.

I don't know what prompted the decision to make Apocalypse, but I find it a different style of play than standard games. There is a lot in Apoc can easily be abused, and probably will be if its treated as a standard game but bigger. Play it with a group of friends, people you can trust to understand the theme of the game, and it will work well.

As for Devs, the box set contains the haevy weapons guys. The rest of a dev squad are tactical marines, which I imagine every marine player has in abundance. Plus, there are enough bits in the dev box to do (I think) 6 different heavy weapons, as well as the Sgt, if you have a few spare bodies.

I don't have my marine codex handy, but I believe the squad sizes are 5-10, and its only the DAs that have the firmly fixed squad sizes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

As for Devs, the box set contains the haevy weapons guys. The rest of a dev squad are tactical marines, which I imagine every marine player has in abundance. Plus, there are enough bits in the dev box to do (I think) 6 different heavy weapons, as well as the Sgt, if you have a few spare bodies.

Seems you get 8 heavy weapons in a dev kit.
    1 Missile Launcher, 1 Multi-Melta, 2 Heavy Bolters, 2 Las-cannons and 2 Plasma Cannons

I belive dev squads can have up to 4 heavy weapons so all your ever going to have in one squad is 4 dev marines with a sergeant or/and some ordinary marines.

I don't have my marine codex handy, but I believe the squad sizes are 5-10, and its only the DAs that have the firmly fixed squad sizes.

From what I've read it seems most people will field between 6 and 8 marines per squad anyway.

Now the real problem is, what if I want all my marines to have plasma cannons! I'll have to buy more dev sprues :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Bazzmundo wrote: »
    That's absolutely fine but do you think that's why GW have come up with Apoc.? I think that it's another cynical money making scheme like the sales people who just won't leave you alone, selling Devastator squads in boxes of 5 even though a Devastator squad has 10 marine in them etc. It's fair enough because they're a PLC but lets call a spade a spade.

Actually if you look at the people playing alot already have massive armies, this gets another rule book out the door and give them the ability to make super heavy units they've made rules for. Although I don't see any plastic Warhound Titans on the GW site atm, just a baneblade. Forgeworld would seem to pull all the business of those who are unskilled or unwilling to make those super large units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Murrayer

Does anyone out there still play Man O'War? It was a miniature game similar to Pirates of the Spanish Main. I recently got back into in and have picked up a few things on Ebay. I'd interesting in buying any MO'W stuff that people don't want or maybe meeting up at a Con with anyone who's till playing?

Do you have the rulebook? I was looking at Man O' War myself and some ships look real nice, especially the Slaneesh and Bret. ships!:D

I do, I have all the rules etc. Got them on Ebay but you can download everything you need (Rules, Counters, Templates) all for free here;

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/theseaofclaws/

and here;

http://t3chsupport.com/news.php

You only have to get ships and you'll get a whole fleet for about €70 if you bide your time - the models are cool.

Have a look and get back to me.

B.

I do, I have all the rules etc. Got them on Ebay but you can download everything you need (Rules, Counters, Templates) all for free here;

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/theseaofclaws/

and here;

http://t3chsupport.com/news.php

You only have to get ships and you'll get a whole fleet for about €70 if you bide your time - the models are cool.

Have a look and get back to me.

B.

Thanks mate!

How many ships comprise a fleet?

• Advertisement

It depends on the fleet you pick. Usually you'd play with around 1000 points. My Empire fleet looks like this;

Great ship 150 points
    3 x Wolfships 300 points
    3 x Hellhammers 150 points
    3 x Wargalleys 150 points
    3 x Ironfists 75 points
    3 x Griffon Riders 75 points
    100 point wizard.

A good starting point would be a Dwarf fleet cause you don't need masts (which are hard to find) and you only need about 8 models. I think I picked up my whole Dwarf fleet for about $80. Don't be afraid to try the US ebay.

Hope you get some stuff.

B.

Whoa ages since the last time I've thought of Man O War.

Say why are the prices so ridiculous on E-Bay? And I though Blood Bowl prices were mad.:P

Are you familar with Models Inc. Bazzmundo? Its a shop that sells wargames and the owner has open games nights on Tuesdays. Like the same way BB is enjoying success as a popular retro game in Dublin maybe you could introduce Man O War to the wargame scene!:)

Advertisement