Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold front Passages

Options
  • 09-01-2008 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

Following Yesterday's impressive cold front passage, that saw rapid temperature drops, hail, thunder, snow...I had a look back at previous significant similar events.
    These are mainly based on graphs rather than memories, though I do remember some of them.
    Perhaps the dates will help others to recount. Perhaps others I've missed?

Seems to be about one a year.

19/20th Jan 06
    1st Jan 05 (memorable in Dublin)
    28th Jan 04 (non event here but widespread thundersnow in Britain)
    17th Jan 03
    8th Mar 02
    10th Feb 00
    26th Nov 99

To recap on yesterday
    Started at 1623, temp 9.9C, down to 5.7C by 1629, 4.4C by 1638 and 3.5C by 1700.

Heavy hail when temp was 9.9C has built up at bottom of westerly and southerly walls

4mm in just over ten minutes.

Wind has veered from S to W

No thunder frown.gif, but otherwise the passage rates as a good one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Here are graphs for dates mentioned above. Pink line is wind direction, with S in centre.
    8th Jan 2008
    cf8-01-08.gif
    20th Jan 06
    cf20-01-06.gif
    1st Jan 2005
    cf01-01-05.gif
    28th Jan 04
    cf28-01-04.gif
    17th Jan 03 anemometer at 2m height.
    cf17-01-03.gif
    8th Mar 02 Previous weather station, 2 graphs. Rain figure is amount in 5 minutes
    cf08-03-02.gif
    cf08-03-02-2.gif
    10th Feb 2000
    cf010-02-00-1.gif
    cf010-02-00-2.gif
    26th Nov 1999
    cf026-11-99-1.gif
    cf026-11-99-2.gif

Now you can all breathe a sigh of relief that I didn't get a weather station sooner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Thanks for that MM, some interesting drops there, was yesterday's the largest you've recorded in such a short time?

Here's my graph of the drop here, it's my one and only like that as I only have my AWS 5 months now!

temp-08-01-08.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I tried to upload mine last night for the same peroid but site was oofline.Will post it here later.

Some cold front or squall line it turned out to be.The most infamous was the one that crossed the country overnight on July 25th 1985 that brought severe TS and large hail.
    Unfortunately i had no rain gauge to record rainfall and no max/min thermo(just started out on my weather recording days around that time) to record low or high temps back then.A sultry night to begin but was quite cool the following morning and could have a more rapid drop in temp or extreme.Unknown really.

That one would have made yesterdays one quite tame,but at opposites seasons but different in nature, that yesterdays had other elements attached to it like snow.

nemonoid wrote: »
    Thanks for that MM, some interesting drops there, was yesterday's the largest you've recorded in such a short time?

It probably is. Convective showers in summer can easily have a 6C drop in a few minutes, but they generally bypass me and I can't find any that I've had with more than a 6C drop during 15 minutes.

nemonoid wrote: »

I can now answer no, but I had to do some searching!

The first convective shower on 12th May 2003 saw a greater fall. No thunder in this shower, though a later one did rumble.
    Temp fall
    5min 3.6C
    10 min 5.2C
    15 min 5.8C
    30 min 6.3C

This cold front passage
    5min 2.6C
    10 min 4.2C
    15 min 5.1C
    30 min 6.2C

I log at 5 minute intervals, hence the difference in fall compared to what I mentioned in OP, when I was actually clock watching. So the fall could have started 1 minute into a 5 minute interval, and so the actual fall could be
    4min 2.6C
    9 min 4.2C
    14 min 5.1C etc,

Anyway the bottom line is that it does rate as one of the quickest temperature falls I've recorded.

Another issue I thought of is what is the speed of response of the thermometer to temp change. Its probable the falls are steeper, but the thermometer doesn't keep up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement