Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Outlook Express (w98) mails to thunderbird on new XP machine

Options
  • 09-01-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've just been setting up somebodies new laptop with XP for them and they want their outlook emails kept so I'd like to be able to import them to thunderbird. I'll be taking the emails from their old Windows 98 laptop.

Has anyone done this before and is it possible?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

cormie wrote: »

Any feedback appreciated :)

Yeah, use google.

here

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks, but is this still the same if you want to import to Thunderbird on the new machine and not OE? I'll try in a few mins anyway, waiting for USB 1 transfer to finish from the old machine. Zzzz

Ah, I was a tad lazy there.

I thought it went through the Thunderbird bit.

once there on the new machine do an import in thunderbird it should give an option for outlook.

It's been a long time.

try this

Thanks for the help, I imported the mails direct to thunderbird by backing up the "identities" folder from outlook express on W98, it's stored somewhere like C>Windows>Local Settings>Application Data>, I forget exactly but I just backed this folder up and put it on the new system and went to import the mail and chose this directory and it worked:)

• Advertisement

would it not import directly from the message store?

Not sure what the message store is?

I used the "import" function anyway and just chose mail>outlook express and then I just browsed to the file I think.

I forget now:o

Advertisement