Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sign on Question on Unemployment Benefit

Options
  • 08-01-2008 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can somebody please give me more info about when I go to sign on after 4 weeks of receiving unemployment benefit in the Social Welfare what sort of things will they ask about and will they make job offers etc.

Many thanks if you can help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

They will just ask you to sign on your card every month, they won't offer you a Job but after a while you will be referred to a 'facilatitor' who will discuss further training/education options with you. You may be given a work search efforts questionairre and when you return it you may have to talk to a member of staff to discuss where you have looked for work and the type of work you are willing to accept. I hope this is of help. You sign on at your Local Social Welfare Local or Branch Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 papasnday

Thank you Mrs. MacGyver for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Phil01

Hi are the Sign on dates fixed? Like for me it was 2 days ago the 8th, the next is the 5th feb, will the on after that be the 4th march?
    I need to know because im travelling a week around feb/march and i need to know when to be back by?
    What would happen if i rang the office and told them i would be a day late or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Phil01 wrote: »
    Hi are the Sign on dates fixed? Like for me it was 2 days ago the 8th, the next is the 5th feb, will the on after that be the 4th march?
    I need to know because im travelling a week around feb/march and i need to know when to be back by?
    What would happen if i rang the office and told them i would be a day late or something?

If you are travelling and not actively seeking work or not available for work then you are not entitled to jobseekers/benefit. to claim either jobseekers benefit/allownce when one knows they do not have an entitlement is fraud, so speak to the office dealing with your claim and they will advise you correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

If you are heading away for the week you are due to sign i.e. on holidays you will have to fill out a holiday form and you will have to sign on when you return. Your signing day is oon the same day every 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Apparently when you sign on they require some form of photo id.

All Ive got is a student id card from 2001 and a birth cert.

I don't have a passport or drivers license unfortunately.

Does anyone know of any quick form of Id card I can get because I only have a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭johnmahon010186

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Apparently when you sign on they require some form of photo id.

All Ive got is a student id card from 2001 and a birth cert.

I don't have a passport or drivers license unfortunately.

Does anyone know of any quick form of Id card I can get because I only have a week?

You can sign on with a Social Servies Card (one of the white swipe cards with your PPS number on it or a yellow temporary Social Services card).

If you dont have either type of Social Services card you will need to bring Passport/ Drivers Licence/ Long Version Birth Cert.

So to answer your question just bring your Birth Cert and ask them to order a Social Services Card for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

If you dont have either type of Social Services card you will need to bring Passport/ Drivers Licence/ Long Version Birth Cert.

Amazingly enough the social welfare DO NOT accept a drivers licence as photo ID even though it's government issued. I remember when I had to apply for unemployment 2 years ago and brought in proof of address and took driving licence out of the wallet only to be told that it's not a valid photo ID and I would have to bring my passport in.

A mate fell foul of this just before christmas so it's still the case !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭johnmahon010186

Amazingly enough the social welfare DO NOT accept a drivers licence as photo ID even though it's government issued. I remember when I had to apply for unemployment 2 years ago and brought in proof of address and took driving licence out of the wallet only to be told that it's not a valid photo ID and I would have to bring my passport in.

A mate fell foul of this just before christmas so it's still the case !

No thats wrong, when you make a claim you need 2 forms of id, either 2 primary forms of id or 1 primary form of id and 1 secondary form of id.

Passport and Long Version birth Cert are the only primary forms of id. Drivers Licence is a secondary form of id.

So you and your mate must have had 2 secondary forms of id when yous made your claims.

When you come in to sign once a month you can use any id but you will have to get a temporary social services card when your in there until your plastic swipe card is available for collection

Advertisement