Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Digital Hard Drive Failure, Advice

Options
  • 08-01-2008 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys, It's happened..... My WD HDD has failed. I was loaning it to a friend for NYE music mix and didn't disable it before removing the USB cable. Next time it was connected it just lit up but did not spool up. The drive was not seen by the computer and just did nothing. I removed the drive from the enclosure and hooked it straight into the power and ATA cable on my mates PC but still nothing. In fact it pulled down his power supply every time we tried it. While I was trying to get it working I did not hear any clicking or wheezing until the very last time I tried it. Needlesss to say I haven't touched it since. I know its probably goosed but was hoping someone may have advice on where or who to bring it to for recovery if at all possible. Like many other posters it has all my music, photos etc on it and I'm a bit angry at myself. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

"pulled down his power supply" what exactly does this mean.

*edit* Oh do you mean its tripping the PSU? did you try it on your PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hotbot

Yeah it trips his PSU. I ran the HDD off my laptop so no connection possible without external adapters. We tried it on his PC for convenience. Do you know anything about Datarecovery.ie? Got their card today but didn't have time to call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

hotbot wrote: »
    Do you know anything about Datarecovery.ie? Got their card today but didn't have time to call them.

I have used them for work to recover a raid array that crashed and that cost €4000 but for a single hard drive it could be 700-800 quid (rough guess) and its €95 just to for them just to have a look at it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

800? jeez, that extra backup drive I was going to get for my video/music files doesn't seem so expensive anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hotbot

Thanks Auvers, I had a look at their website and it does look a bit expensive especially asking 95 for first exam. They appear to be more inclined to recover for business, but I don't really have any options unless someone out there knows of a better/cheaper way. Thanks for your replies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

There are quite a few home brew apps you can use. There was a very helpfull thread here a few months ago about a very similar problem to yours. Ive used the search function but cant seem to find it :(

And yeah, all data recovery companys are going to be extreemly expensive, as as you said they are generally suited towards business'

Advertisement