Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Files to another Hard Drive without losing the links

Options
  • 08-01-2008 4:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

My c drive is almost full yet ive 200+gb free on another drive.
    Can i move say my c:doc and settings/username file without losing all the links. For example say i move programs ive installed in my documents under c:/mydocs/myprogram.exe to d:/mydocs/myprogram.exe when i go to my quick launch bar it wouldnt find it no longer on the c drive

Or in a more extreme example if i want to move the myprogramfiles from c to d can you do anything so all the links are updated. Unfortunately ive only 80gb on drive 1 and a good few hundred on drive 2, 1 is empty and the other full and i need to move a good few Gb's

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Would it not be easier to move the data (Word docs, MP3s, video) to the other drive and not the applications? It's usually the data that takes up the majority of HD space, not the applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Yeah but ive so many programs mixed in their and all their links will be lost AHK programs not to mention programs that save files automatically to the my documents folder etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is it possible to copy the whole of C drive over? Then tidy up afterwards.

Mike.

dvdfan wrote: »
    Yeah but ive so many programs mixed in their and all their links will be lost AHK programs not to mention programs that save files automatically to the my documents folder etc
    What, you mean you have applications installed to the same directory that you store your data? That's madness!
    mike65 wrote: »
    Is it possible to copy the whole of C drive over? Then tidy up afterwards.

Mike.
    That might or might not work. Depends on whether the C drive is referenced explicitly in the registry or other links.

No but for example i have alot of poker applications that are just 1 file .exe files or AHK files and id have to go in and manually find them all.

Tha above idea is interesting, would it be possible to transfer all my files from the C drive to the D drive then rename the C drive say to the G drive and rename the D drive to the C drive that way all links would be correct, my C drive which has windows etc has 80GB and is full wheras my D drive has 250gb and i bought it after i had the computer, would doing this corrupt any files, id imagine there would be sharing violations etc?

I still could just move the My Documents folder but im still left with a Huge D drive not being used and a overused C drive, also would moving the My Document Folder not have consequences as my settings such as email etc are usually stored in c:docs and settings/user data/local settings or something similar

Any other ideas

• Advertisement

Also just checked and my My Doucments Folder is only 2.5gb so that wont make a noticeable difference and will fill quickly, my c:poker file is 4gb as i datamine and the hands are stored here but i have no option as files datamined have to go into the c:poker folder for the program that uses the datamined files so i would have to move the whole folder to say the d: drive

The c:doc and settings folder is 6gb but as i said i cant move alot of these files because that is where windows looks for bookmarks,cookies email files etc actually ive looked and the local settings folder is 1gb and my docs is 2.5 which leaves 2.5gb missing, ive looked at al the folders even hidden folders and all the other folders are in the MB range so i dont know what makes up the full 6gb but as you can see even moving the whole my docs wont be enough and the problem will surface again soon

Well try moving the entire User profile folder following this. Involves editing the registry so take the usual precautions of backing it up etc.

Advertisement