Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

31" length jeans?

Options
  • 08-01-2008 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

I bought a pair of 32" length boot cut jeans in Topman (32R in there) the other day and they were too long. I returned then for a 30" leg which I though was fine but have come to realise it's too short.

I tried other pairs of jeans with a 32" leg and there are all just that bit too long. I've usually worn 32" in the past but I'm trying to dress properly these days.

Anyway, I've never come across a 31" length pair of jeans. Do they exist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The best solution is to buy the 32" and get them altered professionally. Jeans lengths generally are in even numbers - 30", 32", 34", etc.

btw, it might be a good idea to wash the jeans first before deciding if they need alteration.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I think women's come in odd lengths though because the last time I bought some jeans there were 29", 31" and 33" in the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

cosgrove80 wrote: »
    I bought a pair of 32" length boot cut jeans in Topman (32R in there) the other day and they were too long. I returned then for a 30" leg which I though was fine but have come to realise it's too short.

I tried other pairs of jeans with a 32" leg and there are all just that bit too long. I've usually worn 32" in the past but I'm trying to dress properly these days.

Anyway, I've never come across a 31" length pair of jeans. Do they exist?
    levi's do odd sizes
    i usually wear 501's:cool:
    try a pair of 512's
    never had a pair that fit so good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I dont think you can get 31" many places, same way you cant get 27" waist for girls in Topshop..grrrr...evry other size but they skip 27"..prob best to get them altered professionally, you'll pay but you'll have nice jeans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I have exactly the same problem: 30" is too short and 32" catches my heel or bunches at my ankles. I've never seen 31" anywhere, even in BT's.

I actually got a pair of 34" waist bootcuts in Topman recently with a short leg (34S?) which fit very well. They're slightly lower on the hips which gives just about the right length.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

*cough* http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055203502 *cough*

this should help a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    *cough* http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055203502 *cough*

this should help a bit

It says in that thread that Next do a 31". Assume that's just for the ladies though?

I must say, bringing them to someone to get altered never occurred to me.

Excuse my ignorance, but by having them taken up do you not lose the "fancy end stitching" on the jeans? I guess if you bring them to a professional as suggested, that wouldn't be an issue though.

Must look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

next do a 31 for the guys, its the regular leg in there, dont know about the ladies sizing

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

great jeans with size increments like 31 and 33 waist - try g-star in Debenhams and in Dundrum SC
    If you go in a week or two's time, I'd say you get a good selection of the spring/summer stock.

They are pricier than the topshop ones, though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

It says in that thread that Next do a 31". Assume that's just for the ladies though?

Excuse my ignorance, but by having them taken up do you not lose the "fancy end stitching" on the jeans? I guess if you bring them to a professional as suggested, that wouldn't be an issue though.

Must look into it.

Yeah you do lose the nice end bit, Its annoying but worth it to have jeans that fit right.

• Advertisement

Must look into it.

When done properly the alteration is indistinguishable from the original.

While important, the inseam length of the jeans is not the only factor to consider. Some jeans styles have a low "rise" which means that a 31" inseam could be too long while in another style with a higher "rise", 31" could be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

If getting jeans hemmed, ask for an 'original hem'. This basically involves using the same hem as was there originally and kinda folding over and cutting off the extra length, this link explains it better than I can
    http://www.daciaray.com/?p=38.

Google 'original hem' for more.

It makes such a difference to the jeans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

My god I thought I was the only person on the planet who suffered with such awkward dimensions!

I once picked up a 31" pair of jeans in marks n' sparks. The legs were a perfect fit but the ass wasn't so I only wear them around the house now.

I'd go for 32 over 30 as too short looks a bit silly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Do ye know of anywhere that are good for doing alterations? I think there's a place on Abbey Street but haven't actually used them. Any one have any experience - Dublin City Centre preferably!!

Rapid Alterations at 71 Middle Abbey Street is highly recommended. Does a lot of work for us and is very good.

We also use The Alteration Centre on South Anne St. (just off Grafton Street). I know he does a lot for Brown Thomas, BT2, Alias Tom et al. It's very busy but that's because they are good.

Gyalist wrote: »
    Rapid Alterations at 71 Middle Abbey Street is highly recommended. Does a lot of work for us and is very good.

We also use The Alteration Centre on South Anne St. (just off Grafton Street). I know he does a lot for Brown Thomas, BT2, Alias Tom et al. It's very busy but that's because they are good.

Brilliant I will call into Rapid Alterations tomorrow - I need a dress altered and have a wedding on 6th March!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

how about a 30" long? or a 32" short?

I feel your pain, my waist is 31" and my leg 33", most annoying size EVER :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

azezil wrote: »
    how about a 30" long? or a 32" short?

I feel your pain, my waist is 31" and my leg 33", most annoying size EVER :)

I find that the long and short versions are in even lengths, e.g., if a regular 30" pair has 32" legs, short will have 30" legs and long 34". Not much help if you're, eh, odd :).

Gyalist wrote: »

as usual I'm late and I didn't hand it in yet.. was hoping to ring them now but can't find a number!! Is this the crowd by any chance or do you have a number?

Express Alteration Tailors
    53 Middle Abbey st 1 Co. Dublin

* (01)8730449

• Advertisement
Advertisement