Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FLAT PACK FURNITURE.. and all that mallarkey!

Options
  • 08-01-2008 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Let me please inform you that Dunnes Stores bar/breakfast counter stools that you buy in a flat pack box are the most annoying, frustrating,mother "@!king things to put together on this God given earth!! I have just taken 6 hrs to put 3 stools together and I am am ready to go to my local casualty dept. to get my hands treated from that c**ting allen key thing. Better value my ar#e. FLAT PACK SHI*TE JUST DOESNT WORK

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I enjoy making it, makes me feel manly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Never use the tools that you get with flat pack stuff. Use your own tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

brousuka wrote: »
    Let me please inform you that Dunnes Stores bar/breakfast counter stools that you buy in a flat pack box are the most annoying, frustrating,mother "@!king things to put together on this God given earth!! I have just taken 6 hrs to put 3 stools together and I am am ready to go to my local casualty dept. to get my hands treated from that c**ting allen key thing. Better value my ar#e. FLAT PACK SHI*TE JUST DOESNT WORK

You need Tommy Walshe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

I know what you mean like, but there is a limit, all this sh*te comes from the far east and there is always the one screw or nut that won't fit properly and it is just so irritating. I am fairly handy but i think this stuff is better left to nerds who don't care about real fashion and just want to do it on the cheap. BTW it always falls apart in the end!

• Advertisement

I enjoy making it, makes me feel manly.

At one stage, while sweat was dripping of me, i used a pliers to tighten a certain nut and the pliers slipped off and i pinched the skin on my right thumb which is now f**king killing me, I never realised how important your thumb is. There is now a kind of purple bulge on my thumb which is damn fu**ing sore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I am fairly handy but i think this stuff is better left to nerds who don't care about real fashion and just want to do it on the cheap. BTW it always falls apart in the end!
    Interesting self analysis. Well done you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I know what you mean like, but there is a limit, all this sh*te comes from the far east
    ..flatpacked in frankincense and bubblewrapped in myrrh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The manufacturers should include First Aid kits for the FP Novices?

Don't worry you'll live.:p

Interesting self analysis. Well done you! :)

Oh Sh*t, forgot to mention, I just moved house and the kitchen area has a lovely island sink/worktop and a good friend bought these breakfast stools for me. It makes it even worse because i had to put them together to make everyone happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I like flatpack stuff. Putting it together is fun. Especially when you read the instructions, have a race with your brother, and put your bookshelves together in half the time, without them falling apart when the final screw is tightened. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's no job satisfaction unless you've lost a couple of pints of blood. It somehow makes it all worthwhile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

At one stage, while sweat was dripping of me, i used a pliers to tighten a certain nut and the pliers slipped off and i pinched the skin on my right thumb which is now f**king killing me, I never realised how important your thumb is. There is now a kind of purple bulge on my thumb which is damn fu**ing sore.

suck it up it's all part of being manly :p:p:p:p

ejmaztec wrote: »
    There's no job satisfaction unless you've lost a couple of pints of blood. It somehow makes it all worthwhile.

yeah but this thumb thing is worse 'cos i play golf and my grip is f**ked for at least 2 weeks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Now youre just being weird :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I nearly lost a leg trying to put together my computer desk. :/

I remember putting my computer desk together. Took forever and it never did come out right, but I'm still immensly proud of it. My flaat packed shelves have only fallen apart once so far, so I'm quite happy with them.

I remember putting my computer desk together. Took forever and it never did come out right, but I'm still immensly proud of it. My flaat packed shelves have only fallen apart once so far, so I'm quite happy with them.

Lets make a special "Flat Pack Memory Day" every year on this date and burn all the sh**te like bonfire night!

Lets make a special "Flat Pack Memory Day" every year on this date and burn all the sh**te like bonfire night!

I'm liable to attack it where it stands and given my shoddy DIY skills it's guaranteed to break before my might. I'd quite happily burn ever bit of flat pack in existence but then where would my PC sit?

On one of those fancy antique mahogany tables??? Come to think of it, throw in a shelf of dusty classic literature, a fine bottle of scotch, an open fire and a pipe and I've got myself a real mans room.

I'm liable to attack it where it stands and given my shoddy DIY skills it's guaranteed to break before my might. I'd quite happily burn ever bit of flat pack in existence but then where would my PC sit?

On one of those fancy antique mahogany tables??? Come to think of it, throw in a shelf of dusty classic literature, a fine bottle of scotch, an open fire and a pipe and I've got myself a real mans room.

Now ya said it! can't beat the real McCoy!! Allen keys were never used in building Adare Manor!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I would have put them together for fifty quid a pop man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Death to flat packs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Death to flat packs.

"Down with this sort of thing!"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Should have gone to IKEA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Now ya said it! can't beat the real McCoy!! Allen keys were never used in building Adare Manor!

i think its just safe to say you fail at DIY. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

There's someone who's never done a hard days work in his life.
    Just stick a pin in it and let the blood drain out. You'll be fine.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I never feel satisfied with a days work unless I cut myself accidentally at least once.

FunkZ wrote: »
    I would have put them together for fifty quid a pop man...

I'm really thinking of putting up a notice in my local supermarket to that effect.

My cousin buys this crap all the time.
    40 year old single woman with a 14 year old son and more money than sense = ring Terry and get him to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Yeah, my little sister put together a load of flat pack furniture the other day simply 'cause she was bored.

Suck it up ya wimmen.

Terry wrote: »
    My cousin buys this crap all the time.
    40 year old single woman with a 14 year old son and more money than sense = ring Terry and get him to do it.

That's just like my family, only replace furniture with computers. I faked a learning disability for years in a bid to avoid being my families tech guy. Worked wonders for nearly a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

That's just like my family, only replace furniture with computers. I faked a learning disability for years in a bid to avoid being my families tech guy. Worked wonders for nearly a decade.
    Don't get me started on computers.

Listen, you little bastards. Stop clicking on those stupid ads for mobile ring tones and you will stop getting pop-ups on your ****ing computer.

"Hey, Terry. I downloaded this song. It's called dancemusic.exe. Now my computer won't work properly. What did I do wrong?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Terry wrote: »
    "Hey, Terry. I downloaded this song. It's called dancemusic.exe. Now my computer won't work properly. What did I do wrong?"

thisisnotamaliciousprogram.mp3.........exe

Advertisement