Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Clarkson

Options
  • 07-01-2008 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

Well I got a laugh out of it.
    TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson has lost money after publishing his bank details in his newspaper column.

The Top Gear host revealed his account numbers after rubbishing the furore over the loss of 25 million people's personal details on two computer discs.

He wanted to prove the story was a fuss about nothing.

But Clarkson admitted he was "wrong" after he discovered a reader had used the details to create a £500 direct debit to the charity Diabetes UK.

I was wrong and I have been punished
    Jeremy Clarkson
    Clarkson published details of his Barclays account in the Sun newspaper, including his account number and sort code. He even told people how to find out his address.

"All you'll be able to do with them is put money into my account. Not take it out. Honestly, I've never known such a palaver about nothing," he told readers.

But he was proved wrong, as the 47-year-old wrote in his Sunday Times column.

"I opened my bank statement this morning to find out that someone has set up a direct debit which automatically takes £500 from my account," he said.

"The bank cannot find out who did this because of the Data Protection Act and they cannot stop it from happening again.

"I was wrong and I have been punished for my mistake."

Police were called in to search for the two discs, which contained the entire database of child benefit claimants and apparently got lost in the post in October 2007.

They were posted from HM Revenue and Customs offices in Tyne and Wear, but never turned up at their destination - the National Audit Office.

The loss, which led to an apology from Prime Minister Gordon Brown, created fears of identity fraud.

Clarkson now says of the case: "Contrary to what I said at the time, we must go after the idiots who lost the discs and stick cocktail sticks in their eyes until they beg for mercy."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Not wanting to sound like a bit of a prick here, I'll add ha ha!! And couldn't of happened to a nicer guy!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

:)

I like clarkson a lot and at the very least, he had the balls to admit he was wrong so fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Wonder will he cancel it,it'd be pretty bad form

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I still say he could do a great Job running this Country.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Technically he wasnt wrong though. People cant use your bank account details to steal from you. All they can do is pretty much what they did and sign up to a charity for DD. So unless they've gone to the bother of setting up a registered charity to get the DD's they wont get anything, and if they did it'd be the most traceable scam in history. It's a bit stupid that banks allow DD to be set up without a signed madate. Someone working in a shop that gets a few cheques in could have a field day "donating " other peoples money.
    jimbo78 wrote: »
    Wonder will he cancel it,it'd be pretty bad form

It depends on whether its an on going thing or a once off. I doubt he'd go chasign the money if it's a one off but I'd be cancelling it sharpish if it was a monthl/yearly thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Good stuff!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Credit to him for putting his money where his mouth is, and then admitting error when proven wrong. Lots of people would pontificate loudly and do nothing to back up his position.

However, there is an advertising campaign going on in the US for a crowd called "Lifelock." It involved people putting their Social Security numbers up on billboards publicly and saying "This is my SSN. I don't care if you know it." Up until now, if people have your SSNs, they could in theory be you, open up bank accounts, file tax returns, and so on and so forth. They have a million-dollar guarantee.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I've always liked Clarkson, particularly his journalistic pieces, but he does come across as a bit self-righteous...it's bit him in the arse a wee bit here but at least hes owned up to being less right than he thought.

Semi-OT (I missed out on the specific thread at the time, and it was probably mentioned)
    Does anyone find it highly odd that such data from HMCE was available to burn to removable media in the first place? I mean in this modern age with databases and high speed connections, surely even a vast number of details (< 1.4gb in reality) like this could be swapped between physical locations via a secure network.
    ...and in the event where sensitive hard copies did need to move locations that it would be under some sort of internal courier system rather than with the like of TNT?
    How long before it happens here (assuming it hasn't aready)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Am tempted to just go HAHA but like people have said he did at least stand up and say he was wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Delighted that long faced ligger finally had to pay for something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Fair play to him for admitting he was wrong. He's a top bloke lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭adsgirl

Admitting he was was wrong , probably sounded better than admitting he was a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

I find him to be an ignorant ass most if not all of the time and this time his ignorance came around to bite him in the ass.

Mmmwwwhahahahahahaha!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Nah, I like him. Common-sense lad, even if not the most knowledgeable. His books are rants on various things which you read and nod your head in agreement.

Hell, I'd vote for him. Beats the official candidates.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Hilarious, I'd hope with the amount of money he has he can give them the 500quid a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Hahaha ah well, at least he tired :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

galwayrush wrote: »

He has a bank account and admits his mistakes. He's two up on Bertie already!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

galwayrush wrote: »

Nah, he hates the Irish...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

one of the best stories in a while...godd enough for the fool putting his a/c in the paper.
    i think its a SO that was set up so it'l be interesting to see if he cancels it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

baztard wrote: »
    He has a bank account and admits his mistakes. He's two up on Bertie already!
    Lol - fair play baztard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

DeBeere wrote: »
    Nah, he hates the Irish...:rolleyes:

doesnt have much nice things to say about anybody outside england.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

prendy wrote: »
    so it'l be interesting to see if he cancels it.

Why would it be interesting? I would've taken it as a given he's gonna cancel it. Why wouldn't he?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Lazare wrote: »
    Why would it be interesting? I would've taken it as a given he's gonna cancel it. Why wouldn't he?

Lol, or at least drastically reduce the amount!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

dodgyme wrote: »

Unless they are paying his expenses.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

dodgyme wrote: »

He doesn't have anything nice to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

I'd wager the Culprit was Hammond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

I'll second that. Bad Hammy! =D

Advertisement