Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't Install ATI Drivers (Vostro 1000)

Options
  • 07-01-2008 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've been at a new Vostro 1000 today installing a fresh copy of XP on it, when I go to install the "Dell Vostro Notebook 1000 ATI IGP Xpress 1150 Driver for Windows XP/2000" It says "This display driver is not compatible with the display adapter(s) installed in your system", I press ok and that's that, it doesn't install.

I'm pretty sure it's the right driver (I'm using the Driver disc that came with the dell and the 1150 is what's written on the spec ordered too).

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Think I got it, I used windows update and there was a hardware update for the card and it worked, but when I downloaded it the screen went haywire at the "restart now?" screen after it had installed. Commodore 64 type crazy, colours going everywhere around the screen. Seems ok now, maybe it's because the download wasn't Dell specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I always avoid downloading drivers through windows update. They never work as well as the ones direct from the manufacturer. Stick to using the Dell ones. I have an ATI card in my Dell and I've always used the drivers from ati.com without any issues, although it's not the same card as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have a Vostro 1500 with an nVidia 8600 GT card. The Dell drivers (and official nVidia drivers) are useless. I got non-Dell unofficial nVidia drivers from http://www.laptopvideo2go.com and now it's flying... BioShock, COD4, etc.

Doesn't really help you with your problem (ATI), just suggesting that perhaps neither the Dell, ATI or Windows Update drivers may be the way to go to get the most out of your Vostro and graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Use Omega Drivers. You need display drivers from the manufacturer, not from ATI - the models supported are specified in the INF file and the standard ones do not really support many Mobility models. Though ATI are a bit better then Nvidia in this regard.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

edit: Just noticed you said you're installing drivers from supplied disc - that is a bit strange.

Hi,
    I got it working by using the windows update so it seems ok now. Is there any reason why I should look into it anymore? Could I run into problems down the line? It all seems ok now. The screen going crazy was just after Windows Update had installed the drivers but it's fine now.

Krusty, I actually have an 8600 on my own Vostro 1500, I just installed the supplied drivers from the Dell CD, will I notice a big improvement from the ones you're talking about? Is there a link to the ones I should specifically get? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

cormie wrote: »
    Will I notice a big improvement from the ones you're talking about? Is there a link to the ones I should specifically get? :)

You will if playing resource intensive games. Are you running XP or Vista?
    They are unsupported drivers, which means that you could run into problems, e.g. freezing, bugs, bsods, etc., but you can always roll-back to the original drivers.

Running XP Pro Retail on my vostro 1500 :)

Who are these drivers made by? Are they unofficial and more likely to be buggy? I have Pro Evo 2008 so it'd be a new enough game and it hasn't been as smooth as I though it would be on my new laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You do realize the X1150 is crap for games....right? It's basic integrated graphics, pretty much on the bottom of the scale....

The 1150 isn't mine, the 8600 is mine :)

I've sorted the 1150 and just seeing about upgrading my 8600 drivers now.

Krusty have you run into any problems with the drivers and if not, should it be smooth for me too since we have the same system? Unless you're using Vista which could make a difference as I'm using XP Pro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement