Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about 2 monitors on 1 pc

Options
  • 07-01-2008 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

Ok.
    Im getting a new Monitor on Wednesday but i wanted to know can i run both at the same time

My Graphics card does have 2 ports for Monitors.. The reason i want it is this.

I'm learning 3D stuff like modelings/texturing etc and i've bought some DVD's is it possible to have the DVD running on 1 screen and my work area in the other ?

any help would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Yes you can. There are two types of connections. dvi and vga, so make sure your new monitor has both, most newer ones have (I'm assuming we're talking about lcd). Your graphics card may have one of each, if so you'll need a vga cable and a dvi cable. If your graphics card is recent then it may have two dvi connections, either way dvi to vga (and vice versa) converters are widely available. When you have it set up you can drag windows from one screen to the other. Once you get used to it you'll never go back to a single monitor, I've been using a dual monitor setup for the past two years.

If you're going into 3D I hope you have a powerful machine, especially for rendering.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Only starting out in 3D.. so my machine is not to massive,,, Nice graphics card.. only 2 gig ram tho. 4200+ dual core.. But i can build on it .

I'll be getting the second screen on Wed so i'll try it then.
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

This should help you too.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/hwandprograms/monitors.mspx

Depending on your card you can set the two monitors to either "Dual View" or "Span"

Dual View will give you two independent screens

Span will give you one huge single Desktop

Both options will allow you to drag to either screen & open different programs on either screen.

As was said above, Once you experience dual monitors, you will never go back.

Enjoy! ;)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement