Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best setup for snow in Cork City

Options
  • 07-01-2008 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I'm originally from the midlands and moved to Cork City 15 years ago.
    I've memories of many snowy winters in the north midlands but almost no events in Cork.
    Out of curiously, even though the chances in all scenarios are almost non-existent, what setup gives the best chance for snow in Cork,
    e.g
    - northwesterlies,
    - northerlies,
    - easterlies

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Move Cork approx. 10 degrees north is probably the best set-up! :D

I lived in Cork (City) for 3 years and it is snowless!!! Never saw a single flake while living in the city itself although on numerous occassions the higher ground to the north of the city (e.g. Watergrasshill) would have snow and lots of it.

Other than the above, can't answer your question - sorry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

friends of mine lived in Cobh, Co. Cork for years and never once saw a flake of snow. Even frost was a rarity. Dublin City is bad enough for snow but Cork is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd guess a big Greenland high with depressions scraping along its underside.

Those are rare as hens teeth though, if you want snow, Cork ain't the place to find it most years!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Polar lows nearly are the only hope. Shoulda gotten something in Christmas 2004? I thought I remembered someone putting in photos from Cork City that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Danno wrote: »
    Polar lows nearly are the only hope. Shoulda gotten something in Christmas 2004? I thought I remembered someone putting in photos from Cork City that day?

Correct. 2004. Started snowing mad around 3am on Christmas Day and snowed pretty much all of Christmas Day, got some great photos then. Wish I had bet on a White Christmas which, lets face it, is very very rare, especially in Cork city.

You'd have to go all the way back to January 1982 for some real blizzard conditions here...unfogettable!

• Advertisement
Advertisement