Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB Script websites ?

Options
  • 07-01-2008 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Lads,

I've been asked to learn vb scripting, can any of ye recommend some websites I could visit to learn the basics before taking it up ?

Also, Can anyone help with choosing a language ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I found this to be a good starting point. Especially the "Hey, Scripting Guy!" articles.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

Are you learning VBScript or VBA? Have you previous macro experience (if it's VBA) or javascript experience (if it's VBScript)? Are you just learning the language or learning to program from scratch??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks guys.

Basically I've been asked to learn VB Script (& handed a stack of books to do so). I have basic html skills from a long time ago, but that's about it. I'll be learning everything pretty much from scratch

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Since you mention HTML, is it VB script for websites you need to learn ?

If it is, then what you probably want to be learning about is ASP (Active Server Pages) this is also known as Classic ASP because there is a newer version ASP.Net. In short this is VB Script that runs on a web server dynamically creating web pages. A good site to learn from is
    www.w3schools.com go to their Learn ASP section. They also have a learn VB Script section which will also be usefull. There's plenty of other tutorial sites around if search google, just make sure they are for Classic ASP not ASP.Net

It's possible that when you were told "VB Script" that they meant ASP.Net which uses VB.Net, some people still call it VB Script, altough it really isn't. The best site to start learning this is www.asp.net.

Advertisement