Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a language to learn

Options
  • 07-01-2008 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Lads,

Would you recommend VB as a language to learn or should I be looking at something else ? I'm currently doing admin/client visis etc & have to learn VB scripting for an upcoming project. I've been thinking of trying to get into programming for a more regular sit down at the PC, headphones on head down typoe of job as opposed to what I'm doing now, but unsure of what's a valuable language or also fairly easy (wrong word but I hope you know what I mean) to pick up.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If you need to know vbscript for an upcoming project, then i'd recommend that you learn vbscript ;) It'll give you a start into the world of programming and will help you do your project.

After that, the choice is yours really. C, C++, Java, C# - they all have huge amounts of resources both online and written and are all languages which are going to be around for quite a while. Just take your pick.

Once you're great at one language, you can become decent at another within a few weeks. Once you have the understanding, learning another language is just learning new keywords and figuring out how to use all the prewritten code that's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

If you have a project in vb script then why not look at vb.net. nice language for a beginner. for a better grounding in programming id look at java or c# thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Clik

As you are considering this as career move I'd reccomend doing a bit of market research first. It is very easy to invest a lot of time and effort in a language only to find that it is not widely used in commercial apps. I would not agree with the comment that once you learn one language its is then very easy to learn another, I have always found learning a new programming language has a steep learning curve.
    In brief, research the market, dabble a little but when you find what suits you be prepared to invest at least a year giving it 100%

Advertisement