Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like a good gaming PC...opinions please

Options
  • 07-01-2008 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was half thinking about upgrading my PC (for gaming purposes), I have been looking round at upgrade bundles, Dell Outlet, etc.

I just spotted the following at Ankermann and it looks like a great deal but I am not an expert, especiallly when is comes to motherboards, processors and what not! Here's their offer

INTEL Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz
    Model Q6600 4x2.4GHz
    8MB (4+4) L2 Cache | MSI P6NGM-FD NVIDIA nForce630i
    NVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB | 500GB SATA-II HDD 7200rpm
    2GB PC800 DDR-II RAM | LG GSH H55L DVD-RW Lightscribe
    Realtek ALC888 7.1 Audio | Gigabit Ethernet LAN DSL Ready
    Initial price: €749

I know the 8800GT is a good card, but what do you think of the overall system? good value? somewhat future-proof?

Thanks for any advice
    Sconsey

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sconsey wrote: »
    Hi,

Was half thinking about upgrading my PC (for gaming purposes), I have been looking round at upgrade bundles, Dell Outlet, etc.

I just spotted the following at Ankermann and it looks like a great deal but I am not an expert, especiallly when is comes to motherboards, processors and what not! Here's their offer

INTEL Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz
    Model Q6600 4x2.4GHz
    8MB (4+4) L2 Cache | MSI P6NGM-FD NVIDIA nForce630i
    NVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB | 500GB SATA-II HDD 7200rpm
    2GB PC800 DDR-II RAM | LG GSH H55L DVD-RW Lightscribe
    Realtek ALC888 7.1 Audio | Gigabit Ethernet LAN DSL Ready
    Initial price: €749

I know the 8800GT is a good card, but what do you think of the overall system? good value? somewhat future-proof?

Thanks for any advice
    Sconsey

I'd up the RAM to 4GB for a little more breathing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Holy crap. Looks like a great deal. German crowd i presume? I've never heard of em before. I'm kinda in the market for something similar myself. Can anyone recommend a good monitor to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

JHet wrote: »
    Holy crap. Looks like a great deal. German crowd i presume? I've never heard of em before. I'm kinda in the market for something similar myself. Can anyone recommend a good monitor to go with it.

Im not sure its as great a deal as it looks on first view....

Motherboard is pretty dated and the psu is bound to be a cheap generic make,ram looks cheap too,doesnt have an os either....

If your going to buy it then give them an email or call to to get them to upgrade to a better mobo/psu/ram.....something like a P35 gigabyte ds3 mobo,corsair ram,brand name psu like tagan or corsair should turn into a great system....

The much higher quality Komplett one is €965 delivered,only €165 more expensive than the ankermann one,but with much better quality components....

Gigabyte Triton 180 Black
    Corsair Powersupply 520W Black, ATX/EPS,
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R, P35, Socket-775,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400C5DHX DDR2, 2048MB
    Gigabyte GeForce 8400GS 256MB DDR2,
    Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2
    NEC DVD±RW burner AD-7200A, IDE,
    PC with no operating system

€755 delivered...

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ci.aspx?sku=10206

Email/call them to add a 512mb for €210 or €160 for a HD3870 instead of the 8400gs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Im not sure its as great a deal as it looks on first view....

Motherboard is pretty dated and the psu is bound to be a cheap generic make,ram looks cheap too,doesnt have an os either....

If your going to buy it then give them an email or call to to get them to upgrade to a better mobo/psu/ram.....something like a P35 gigabyte ds3 mobo,corsair ram,brand name psu like tagan or corsair should turn into a great system....

Its a great deal, for that sort of money your not gonna get the best components, namely Gigabyte Ds3, Corsair ram or Tagan psu, but its certainly value for money.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Its a great deal, for that sort of money your not gonna get the best components, namely Gigabyte Ds3, Corsair ram or Tagan psu, but its certainly value for money.

Value for money yes,but so is the dell below for €810 and it has Vista....

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core™ Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 8MB, 1066MHz)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)
    Monitor Not included
    3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024/2x512]
    640GB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 Stripe (2x320GB - 7200rpm)
    SINGLE 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT card
    16x DVD +/- RW Drive
    Dell™ Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Dell Optical Scroll Premium Mouse

The komplett one is €160 more,with way better quality components and an extra year warranty,its the better value for money imo..

Advertisement