Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back into gaming?

Options
  • 07-01-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

Ok, seeing that I dug out all my old 40k gear is there much of a change in the game from when i last played?? T'was around the time before the brought in the white metal crap. I know the rules where being majorly overhauled but is a massive change??? Should i just not bother, cause i am too old now :rolleyes:

I am based in Cavan...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Balfas

I played 40k under the 2nd edition rules and the 3rd edition but I havent played the latest 4th edition. From 2nd to 3rd there was a big change. IMO the rules where mades more streamlined and games went faster. Plus rules where more sensible. From 3rd to 4th I have no real idea but as far as I know the 4th only refined the rules.

If your looking to get back into 40k check out the new orks. They look great and had a major combat upgrade :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Parl

Apparently they're bringing a new edition out sometime relatively soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Ok.. Might try get to a Games Workshop and scope it out. Just hate there, jump on you as soon as you entry the door way of working...Ah...the Model Shop, those where the days....!! Good aul Dave!

Can't remember what edition i was playing before i stopped.

I have a massive marine/imperial guard army and was getting into Chaos Army before i stopped. Never did Like the Orcs for some strange reason... See these new Tau things...nope, look crap. I like nice looking models, not something from Star Wars tbh!!

sold of my tyranids army...mistake that was!

Any idea if they made the Imperial Guard Shadow Sword or Baneblade Legal in the game? I've the old armourcast ones and was never able to use them????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Just hate there, jump on you as soon as you entry the door way of working...

Yeah, I went in a few days ago to have a look and get some small kits, I was surprised at the speed of which one of the sales guys zeroed in on me. Nearly makes we want to order everything online and wait a bit for delivery if I decide to keep going with this 40k thing :)
    Any idea if they made the Imperial Guard Shadow Sword or Baneblade Legal in the game? I've the old armourcast ones and was never able to use them????

They're legal in Apocalypse games, I don't think they are in the smaller games due to their size. You can field warhound's in apocalypse games, they even have rules for Warlord titans.

Apocalypse?? Whats that? ah found out. So you can.

£60 for the plastic kit??? Jesus, what a rip off.

Played a massive 40k game in the Model Shop once, tyranids vs eldar. Tons of Armourcast models on both side. Had 150 Hormagants on one side of the table. Think you could run them 18" in one move.....His poor Eldar Scout Walkers did not stand a chance!!!

Whats the points avarage games nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Crave

as far as I know it's 3000 for Apocalypse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

1500 to 2000 would be the most common sizes I see for normal 40k.

Apocalypse is anything from 3K really. I've seen 18k vs 18k in Models INC. Obviously multiple 6x4 tables stuck together, I think 4 of them for that game iirc.

Speaking of which, if the Games Workshop hard-sell is annoying you then give Models INC on Dorset street a look next time you're in Dublin. None of that sort of stuff, plus there's a 10% discount on GW stuff. Obviously of limited use if you don't make it up to Dublin too often.

As for the 'too old' bit, nonsense. At the 40K GT this year I'd say more than half the people were 20+. A good percentage 30+, some older than that too.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Models INC, but I do game in there regularly with the Dublin Games Guild.

I heard about that shop, must give it look. I am in dublin almost every weekend. Cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Not too many major changes between 3rd and 4th edition, just small tweaks and things, further stream lining it mostly, although they took out guessing the range of guess range which annoyed me a bit, you now just place the blast where you want and roll to hit and scatter normally, except you roll 2D6 and pick the highest, Hull down is also less powerful, only downgrades penetrating hits on a 4+ to a glancing hit.

5th ed is rumoured to be released around summer, where they will enable you to use pistols in some way in close combat, with their strength or AP being used, as theres a big push for plasma pistols in the newest space marine codex's (Chaos and Blood Angles), which were both written with 5th ed in mind. Also vehicles without a weapon skill will be hit on their rear armour in melee (so guardies with frag/krak nades can charge a Lemun Russ and kill it), also meant to be stream lining blast and template weapons but I'm not sure how thats possible, their fairly stream lined as it is. Take this paragraph with a pinch of salt though as its mostly speculation.

As for when you stopped playing, how many points did a space marine cost? 15 or 30? and do you remember a wargear book? and do you have D8 or D10 sided dice? 2nd ed had a full wargear book, a 30 point marine, and about 5 different dice.

Hi,

I honestly can't remember. I've old army list somewhere. I've a ton of boxes to get through. Will get back to you. I remember having tons of weargear cards in a folder and playing massive 10k battles. With no super heavys at all?

• Advertisement

Wargear cards are 2nd edition.

Playing 10k battles in 3rd/4th ed is very impractical aswell, most of the points costs have been halved, so its the equivalent of a 5k battle, which is indeed, huge. Super Heavies still arent in it, only in Apocalypse, playing an apocalypse battle tomorrow, 15k per side, should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Unclebill, if you do get an army together and have trouble finding a game localy, then you should be able to organise one on the Models INC forum for one of the weekends you're in Dublin.

http://modelsinc.ie/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=general

Don't try and do it the night before though, it can take minutes or days to get a bite :)

You could always just show up with an army too, that usually works, especially weekends, but organising one in advance is more of a sure bet.

quozl, well I am going to head up there next weekend an scope out the shop. Thanks again.

Pugsley, Well I've a massive imperial guard amry with the super heavy's, so I'd love to play one of those. I'd say 15k per side is a large enough game?? How big of a table do you play that on? What armies etc?

Pugsley, Well I've a massive imperial guard amry with the super heavy's, so I'd love to play one of those. I'd say 15k per side is a large enough game?? How big of a table do you play that on? What armies etc?
    I was playing with 9k of Chaos, with a friend bringing 6k of Guards. We we're playing against 3k of Dark Eldar, 4k of Imperial Guard, and 7k of Space Marines. Was a pretty close match with an absolute blood bath in the middle, as 4 of the 6 objectives were in a 24"x24" square in the centre, with each armies commanders being an objective aswell (if they survive owner gets an objective, if they die you have to fight over the corpse), and in apocalypse the team with the most objectives wins, we ended up winning 5-1, with typhus and 30 nurgle Terminators arriving on the penultimate turn to secure 2 of the 3 remaining objectives. Was a suitable epic battle with over 20 special charecters, a Warhound titan (!!) and Baneblade and a Plaguereaper all on the board.

Played on a 6'x8' board (2 6x4's stuck together), but for a 14k game a 12'x8 board would be more advisable, if not for the fact the chaos and space marines (over half the battles points) we're such elite armies, the board would have been completely swamped with units.

Advertisement