Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uninstalling Norton from a new Vista Laptop

Options
  • 07-01-2008 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Having problems uninstalling Norton Anti-Virus program from newly purchased laptop runing Vista Home Premium. I want to install AVG as an alternative AV program. More familar with XP up to this but assumed I could do the deed via Control Panel/Add, Remove Software....but no, it says I cannot uninstall as I dont have the required permissions........What the hell is going on here? Its my laptop....Did a quck search on Google for this and found tha Norton had a tool do uninstall their own products and noticed that a few people around the world had a similar problem as me. Does anyone have experience of this? Is this Norton uninstall tool OK to use? I dont want to screw up the laptop but I want Norton gone. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You probably need to be logged in as administrator? Vista has strange admin rights, even if you have actual admin rights.. sometimes you actually need to be logged in as the user administrator... Though this probably does not apply to home premium... I have only used business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Sounds like your user account on your PC doesn't have administrator rights??.
    Are you signed in as administrator??

Try right clicking the uninstall icon in the Norton Programmes folder and then select "Run as administrator".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SHyland

Thanks for the quick replies (Saruman and Feelgood)....I will look at the administrator side of things then, sounds like a solution....:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Is Norton not one of those annoying programs on new systems that is simply wont let you remove it completely even with all the administrator priviliges??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Download the Norton Removal Tool for the version of Norton you have. Run it as admin if you run into trouble. It can take a while. You'll need to reboot. Then install AVG.

• Advertisement

Ill let you know when I've had a chance to try the "get administrator rights" route.......I have sucessfully removed this program (and other big AV programs) on XP systems without a problem, putting AVG in place of it.....its something I have done a few times now on a few machines. Never once had a problem. However that was all on XP machines, we are now talking about Vista here so perhaps I need to learn a couple of new tricks.

Thanks ethenet....if the "adminstator rights" route doesnt work, this will be my next plan of attack.

Sorry....ethernet...not ethenet.........typing always remains a problem for this 2 finger typist....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

For starters, Vistas UAC (User Account Control) is set in such a way as to restrict users privileges even if there account is set as Administrator.

What you really need to do is invoke the hidden "Administrator Account" which has full autonomy (Like the previous XP Administrator Account has.)

Once you have done that, run the Norton Removal Tool as suggested above.

Here's how to do that:

Vista Administrator Account, Enable & Disable.

Open the RUN command box.

Type cmd & hit OK

Close the command window.

This will cause Vista to put the Command option on the start menu as a recently used program.

Right click the command prompt icon

Choose RUN AS ADMIN

Type the following at the command line prompt to turn on the Administrator account.

Net user administrator /active:yes

Type the following at the command line prompt to turn off the Administrator account.

Net user administrator /active:no

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement