Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another attempt to defend the high latency of satellite internet access

Options
  • 02-01-2008 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

It's a village on the N5 5 miles east of Charlestown near the Roscommon border, there is a wide area around it where there are no broadband services. Broadband exchanges were enabled last year in the surrounding towns of Ballaghaderreen, Charlestown and Tubbercurry but line quality is poor and it is rarely available more that 2 miles from the towns.
    National Broadband supplying an affordable satellite service (A2C from Astra) can provide the service to you and all your neighbours in your area NOW !
    Try www.nbb.ie/info

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Originally Posted by Micky Finn

Quote:It's a village on the N5 5 miles east of Charlestown near the Roscommon border, there is a wide area around it where there are no broadband services. Broadband exchanges were enabled last year in the surrounding towns of Ballaghaderreen, Charlestown and Tubbercurry but line quality is poor and it is rarely available more that 2 miles from the towns.
    National Broadband supplying an affordable satellite service (A2C from Astra) can provide the service to you and all your neighbours in your area NOW !
    Try www.nbb.ie/info

Satellite is just not work the effort, far too unreliable with terrible speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Micky Finn

Galen wrote: »
    Satellite is just not work the effort, far too unreliable with terrible speeds.

When did you last use satellite broadband ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Micky Finn wrote: »
    When did you last use satellite broadband ?

Have they changed the laws of physics in the last while that I didn't know about??, people who use the Irelandoffline forum know more than your average idiot to be sold snake oil. Flog your rubbish and your lies elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Boston wrote: »
    98% of lines could well be connected to exchanges totaling less then 75%. That or sub exchanges aren't included.

D'oh! Of course. Silly me, my brain wasn't working. :o I blame christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Micky Finn

Have they changed the laws of physics in the last while that I didn't know about??, people who use the Irelandoffline forum know more than your average idiot to be sold snake oil. Flog your rubbish and your lies elsewhere.

Spoken like a true Luddite..... or more probably a couch potato who is already in Eircom's favour by having DSL and not giving a **it about the punters in rural land who cannot get any type of broadband. As the old saying goes "if you aint tried it - don't knock it".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I have the EXACT satellite broadband M.F. sells. I also have a more expensive satellite broadband that works better in heavy rain.

Both are for people who have exhausted options of DSL or Fixed Wireless or require a backup system. Most fixed wireless are reliable in rain, 1/4 to 1/2 the price and 1/20th latency and 4 times faster than Satellite.

While I don't regard 3G/HSDPA as broadband, if you are lucky and in a quiet sector of mast it will be about twice to three times better than a basic Satellite system at less than 1/2 the price. A premium business Satellite package will outperform moderately busy 3G cells though and be more reliable.

However dialup can indeed cost more than a €99 a month Satellite Service.

The TV part of the service is typically a €150 to €300 once off cost depending on who you get it from (or DIY), no Satellite Internet required.

The ping on satellite is 800ms++++ compared to 40ms+ for DSL or Fixed Wireless or Metro. You should try out the satellite system at offices of the provider to see if it is what you need. The well established satellite operators have 24x7 running demo systems.

Micky Finn wrote: »
    Spoken like a true Luddite..... or more probably a couch potato who is already in Eircom's favour by having DSL and not giving a **it about the punters in rural land who cannot get any type of broadband. As the old saying goes "if you aint tried it - don't knock it".

Don't make assumptions, I live in rural Ireland and can't get broadband from Dsl or wireless. I have been using a 3G modem for the last year which I can only get 56K speeds because of only being able to get GPRS at home. So I am probably more sympathetic to the needs of punters in Rural lands than you would realize.

I have had satellite from 3 company's in the last 5 years or so. One of them being a one way and the other two being two way. As well as working on and off as a sky installer since the mid 90s, I won't claim to know as much as other people here like Watty but I know more about the problems of satellite than your average "couch potato".

I have also seen many satellite internet companies claiming the world over the years. A lot of people here will probably remember different Irish companies claiming latency that disobeyed the laws of physics. So you will forgive me if I object to your inappropriate act of trying to flog your wares on this forum.

Hi smellslikeshoes,

I'm glad that satellite is working out for you but as everyone should know, satellite is only for the truly deperate. I only have a 1meg wireless link but I always get download speeds from sites like microsoft.com of between 60 to 70 Kilobytes per second while with satellite I would be grateful to get 10 to 20 kilobytes per second which I was never lucky enough to get.

I am not interested in online gaming so latency isn't an issue for me (for a visual example compare RTE1 terresrial and on sky) but if you do want online gaming then forget about satellite.

I tried the services of at least two satellite services (Europeonline and SkyDSL) and after those experiences I swore never again. I sooner be back on dial-up than go near satellite again.

Hi smellslikeshoes,

I'm glad that satellite is working out for you but as everyone should know, satellite is only for the truly deperate. I only have a 1meg wireless link but I always get download speeds from sites like microsoft.com of between 60 to 70 Kilobytes per second while with satellite I would be grateful to get 10 to 20 kilobytes per second which I was never lucky enough to get.

I am not interested in online gaming so latency isn't an issue for me (for a visual example compare RTE1 terresrial and on sky) but if you do want online gaming then forget about satellite.

I tried the services of at least two satellite services (Europeonline and SkyDSL) and after those experiences I swore never again. I sooner be back on dial-up than go near satellite again.

Wow I don't think you could have missed the point of either of my last two posts worse. Read my last two posts again, I was objecting to a satellite provider implying that satellite has improved from a woeful pile of trash that it is.
    Satellite internet is rubbish and is for the truly desperate.

Hi smellslikeshoes, sorry about that, I misunderstood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Those are not true satellite services, but TV card based download accelerators for dialup.

A professional 2 way satellite service is much better than you experienced.

Advertisement