Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-DSL BB in the North West

Options
  • 02-01-2008 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single9930
    21.12.2007 - Nineteen more telephone exchanges have been enabled for broadband this week, Eircom has announced. In 2007 a total of 103 exchanges, representing 65,000 working lines, were enabled, bringing to 1.4 million the number of working lines that can support broadband in Ireland today.

Some 18.4pc of the population can now avail of broadband, up from 16.2pc in August 2007. In October, Eircom achieved 500,000 DSL broadband connections on its network.

“We have reached a huge milestone today with the enablement of 19 new exchanges, bringing our total to 103 upgraded exchanges in 2007,” said Rex Comb, CEO, Eircom. “We intend to build on these achievements and continue the momentum behind broadband rollout into 2008.

“Everyone is aware we have set ourselves ambitious targets and we have an aggressive broadband plan in place. We anticipate that 96pc of the working telephone lines in Ireland will be connected to a broadband exchange by the end of 2009.”

By Niall Byrne

Promises promises.

Hell will freeze over before they get to my exchange (Bohola, Co. Mayo), at least I have wireless broadband thanks to oscarBravo and Westnet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Galen: "at least I have wireless broadband thanks to oscarBravo and Westnet."

You're lucky Galen, any info on the service quality? What's oscarBravo? I tried to get help form Westnet in Carracastle a few months back but they didn't seem interested, no info on their site about coverage/rollout.

I know a lot of people/businesses looking in the area, no one wants to pay for satellite but there's no alternative available, the rural phone masts aren't 3G. So hoping Lastmile or Westnet set up a base in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Where's Carracastle

It's a village on the N5 5 miles east of Charlestown near the Roscommon border, there is a wide area around it where there are no broadband services. Broadband exchanges were enabled last year in the surrounding towns of Ballaghaderreen, Charlestown and Tubbercurry but line quality is poor and it is rarely available more that 2 miles from the towns.

Eircom have a wireless mast at Knock Airport but it is blocked by a hill to the north east. It's on the edge of O2s 3G network and not covered by the others. Tested it last month but even the EDGE/GPRS service wasn't usable. Hopefully O2 will be upgrading further masts in the future, I think mobile is the last hope.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Neworder79 wrote: »
    What's oscarBravo?
    That would be me.

Carracastle's a wee bit challenging for topographical reasons. It's far from straightforward for us to get a link into the area. We'll keep looking at options and if it becomes feasible, we'll do it.

Ah, thanks for the update oscarBravo, it's good to hear that someone is at least looking at the area!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Neworder79,
    This is going off topic but you could try these lads who have coverage in parts of Roscommon / Mayo.
    http://www.azotel-brisknet.ie
    thegills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Micky Finn

It's a village on the N5 5 miles east of Charlestown near the Roscommon border, there is a wide area around it where there are no broadband services. Broadband exchanges were enabled last year in the surrounding towns of Ballaghaderreen, Charlestown and Tubbercurry but line quality is poor and it is rarely available more that 2 miles from the towns.
    National Broadband supplying an affordable satellite service (A2C from Astra) can provide the service to you and all your neighbours in your area NOW !
    Try www.nbb.ie/info

Advertisement