Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork warmer than London

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I'm no meteorologist and I didn't read the article but my hunch is that there are two sides to the argument.I'd imagine that Cork is more exposed to the North Atlantic Drift or gulf stream compared to London.The gulf stream keeps temperatures in Ireland up during the winter/early Spring by one or two degrees.This is more evident on areas by the coast.During summer,the midlands are warmer due to no sea breezes etc.In other words,Cork and Dublin would be warmer than places like Kilkenny,Offaly,Laois in winter while its the reverse in summer.

One could argue that Cork would be slighty warmer because of this ie in the colder months.Then the other side of the argument is lattitude.The Earth is tilted with London having a more southern/lower lattiude than Cork

I'd imagine that Cork would be warmer than London in Winter/Spring.As most of London city is inland,this should be taken into account as well as outlined in my first paragraph.However,I'd imagine London would be a degree or two higher in Summer,again,the theory outlined in first paragraph.

Finally,I'd imagine Cork gets more rain on average than London.Given that the gulf stream brings warm air up from the south Atlantic and cloud cover accumulates,Cork would get more rain due to its coastline.However,it is probable that Londons rainfall would be more concentrated compared to Cork whose rainfall would be more distributed ie heavier downpours for London with less annual rainfall compared to Corks more evenly distributed rainfall which is higher than London on average.

You'd have to take average temperatures for each season and average rainfall per year for the research to be truly representative.

Advertisement