Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom 720 or Garmin Nuvi 760 ?

Options
  • 06-01-2008 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I currently have an Airis T920 (thanks to all on that long thread) I wish to upgrade it to either a TT720 or a nuvi 760. Here are a few of the issues I have that you may be able to help me with in deciding.
    • The TT720 has teleatlas maps but with mapshare in the future they can only get better and I have read that roads etc may be able to be added in time by mapshare. Are they really that bad in Ireland they seem to be updated quite regulary and are not too expensive. The interface on the TT is exellent I think.
    • The Nuvi 760 has Navteq V 10 maps but I cannot see any real differences in the dublin area from my old Airis Q2 2006 maps.The maps are not available that often and are expensive. If the 760 is that good why have garmin announced a new 800 range superceeding the 760 etc.
    It all about the maps I think I may be wrong but I cannot get my hands on a nuvi 760 or a TT 720 except in a shop for a few minuites. I do like the TT720 (and future mapshare capabilities) but am afraid that it will be a disaster and I do like the nuvi 760 but am worried about the mapping being outdated.

HELP................................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

TT720, the mapping is not an issue in Dublin more when you venture into the wild outside the pale ;). I have a Garmin 370 with the V9 maps waiting on 2008. and my Nokia n95 8Gb has teleatlas in dublin and its more up to date than the garmin v9 easily. I was in a mates car on friday (i was quite drunk) but loved his TT720 playing mp3's on the stereo and warnings when you break the speed limit bluetooth hand free etc. were all cool. I did notice with the hands free it uses the units speaker and not the cars speakers which he said was a known bug in the software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 macker850

Do you think that the teleatlas maps will catch up ? as I am willing to be outdated for a while but would hate to be a year or so down the line with poor maps and a cool unit that plays mp3 etc. I have read in other threads of teleatlas mapping being currently carried out in ireland but who knows when this will filter down the line. Does anybody know if the european mapping is as good as the garmin (France etc).

Is there any way of viewing the maps before upgrading them? as I would not upgrade just for better cover in east europe.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

This could go on for ever . TBH all of the current maps have inaccuracies and all are about 95-99% there .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

sharkman wrote: »
    This could go on for ever . TBH all of the current maps have inaccuracies and all are about 95-99% there .

Maybe true in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, etc and larger towns. In rural areas teleatlas (Tomtom) have at best 25% of placenames.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

mossie wrote: »
    Maybe true in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, etc and larger towns. In rural areas teleatlas (Tomtom) have at best 25% of placenames.

Untrue , I drove from Dublin to Cork using TomTom 910 and Western Europe 6.75 1322 and it displayed Townlans/lacenames all the way .

• Advertisement

Is there anywhere on the net where you can view the current Teleatlas maps ( I don't know which version) and the latest Navteq V10 maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭texanman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Untrue , I drove from Dublin to Cork using TomTom 910 and Western Europe 6.75 1322 and it displayed Townlans/lacenames all the way .

Try driving away from main routes. All I can accurately comment on is within a 20 mile radius of my home and there are only a fraction of townland names on it. Once you leave the N roads everything is unnamed. Maybe on the main routes like Cork -Dublin it's more accurate but certainly not in rural areas. Also on the Cork - Limerick road all I get is the road number, no placenames. Map 7.10.

Edit 09/01 Today I drove Mallow to Cork, back to Mallow on to Limerick to Killarney and back to Mallow. My TT720 with Teleatlas 7.10 showed only road numbers all the way, no townlands no road names except in towns. Took my friend and his TT One with navteq maps along, townlands all the way. The 720 is great but the maps are dire.

I have had a loan of a TT720 and think it a great unit far beyoud the Garmin nuvi 360 that I also tried. The TT was full of features and a real gadget but two big problems, the maps & the POI's.

I used it in around town no problems but when in roural areas it has few road names etc. maybe a few road numbers making it very difficult to find anywhere unless you know where it is which kind of defeats the point of a satnav. You can enter in road names which was a cool feature (mapshare) but you need to know where you are to do this.....kind of pointless but looks good! I entered plenty of mapshare changes to roads but no feedback from TT ?? As I downloaded updates maps misteriously changed, not always for the best. I wonder about mapshare but like the idea to add street names , missing roads poi,s etc but only verified updates.

TT POI's are useless compaired to Garmin.

I have ordered a Garmin Nuvi 760T now and I will report back if there is anybody out there listening....

IF ONLY THE TT720 HAD NAVTEQ MAPS....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

I have both the new Version 7 Maps for the GO 910 + V10 Maps for Nuvi 660.

Both are almost the same and the coverage is fairly comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

What areas are you using it in where both look similar?
    The interface and the map display look better on the TT, I think, but as was said before its all about the maps

Try driving away from main routes. All I can accurately comment on is within a 20 mile radius of my home and there are only a fraction of townland names on it. Once you leave the N roads everything is unnamed. Maybe on the main routes like Cork -Dublin it's more accurate but certainly not in rural areas. Also on the Cork - Limerick road all I get is the road number, no placenames. Map 7.10.

Edit 09/01 Today I drove Mallow to Cork, back to Mallow on to Limerick to Killarney and back to Mallow. My TT720 with Teleatlas 7.10 showed only road numbers all the way, no townlands no road names except in towns. Took my friend and his TT One with navteq maps along, townlands all the way. The 720 is great but the maps are dire.

Update 27/1/08

Just back from Galway using the 7.10 maps. One positive was I was able to locate the hotel on Google Maps and send the location to my GO 720, got me there to the door. Once again on the entire route NO TOWNLANDS!! Maybe it's different on the Cork - Dublin road, but anywhere I've driven it's all the same - no townlands.

675.1322 are navteq, right?? I'm talking about the 710 maps which are teleatlas.

Can anybody tell me how long it takes for the teleatlas maps that you can see online to make it down the line onto the TomTom GPS devices.

The online maps seem way better than the new 7.10 maps on a tt720.(or maybe it was just me)

There were townlands in the Kildare area online but not on the Satnav maps.

I have ordered a Nuvi 760 with V10 navteq maps but would change in a flash if the TT maps were half as good as the online maps.

I will hang onto the Garmin untill TT & Teleatlas get their act togeather.. Pity though the TT 720 is a great unit.

675.1322 are navteq, right?? I'm talking about the 710 maps which are teleatlas.

You sure they are Navteq I thought they were Teleatlas ??

macker850 wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me how long it takes for the teleatlas maps that you can see online to make it down the line onto the TomTom GPS devices.

The online maps seem way better than the new 7.10 maps on a tt720.(or maybe it was just me)

There were townlands in the Kildare area online but not on the Satnav maps.

I have ordered a Nuvi 760 with V10 navteq maps but would change in a flash if the TT maps were half as good as the online maps.

I will hang onto the Garmin untill TT & Teleatlas get their act togeather.. Pity though the TT 720 is a great unit.

I think I know whats wrong The maps that I had on the TT720 were very like the maps on the teleatlas insight map reporter on the teleatlas website 2007 .7 .

The good teleatlas maps are the google maps 2008 teleatlas maps.

Surely if google have them TT must have these maps also?

Flying wrote: »
    You sure they are Navteq I thought they were Teleatlas ??

I downloaded 675.1409 which are definitely Navteq. There are 675 teleatlas too, but not sure of the number on those, prob higher than 1409 I guess.

I have ordered a Garmin Nuvi 760T now and I will report back if there is anybody out there listening....

IF ONLY THE TT720 HAD NAVTEQ MAPS....[/quote]

I,ve got the nuvi 760 for a week now and have to say it is quite good. It does exackly what is says it will do. The maps look like any other Gamnin (Sh**te) compared to the TT . Using POI's (adding etc) is quite a long and complicated procedure if it is to be done right. I have not had any problems with the FM transmitter it works fine.

Thats about it untill Garmin update their maps again (anybody got any idead as to how often Garmin update their maps) I cannot do much else with it.

Does anybody know if screen colours , vehicle icons (other than the Garmin ones), voices etc can be changed?

The most annoying thing about the Nuvi is the 3D view which I think for the money involved should be top class and not like something my kids just drew! There are no POI's on any driving view and virtually no street names etc on these views...

macker850 wrote: »

IF ONLY THE TT720 HAD NAVTEQ MAPS....

I,ve got the nuvi 760 for a week now and have to say it is quite good. It does exackly what is says it will do. The maps look like any other Gamnin (Sh**te) compared to the TT . Using POI's (adding etc) is quite a long and complicated procedure if it is to be done right. I have not had any problems with the FM transmitter it works fine.

Thats about it untill Garmin update their maps again (anybody got any idead as to how often Garmin update their maps) I cannot do much else with it.

Does anybody know if screen colours , vehicle icons (other than the Garmin ones), voices etc can be changed?

The most annoying thing about the Nuvi is the 3D view which I think for the money involved should be top class and not like something my kids just drew! There are no POI's on any driving view and virtually no street names etc on these views...[/QUOTE]

Setup a Mygramin account with you serial from the above, then when you login look around for extra's I think and you can get about 50 different icons of tanks, deers, xmas tree, weird look kids etc to use as you nav icon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement