Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost 35 euro in notes at the shop today

Options
  • 06-01-2008 8:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

Mistakes happen I suppose - I paid for my goods and left the shop this morning. I was certain I had the change but I was confused at the same time because of something else entirely. Anyway I left the shop and when I got home I routed around for my change - I didnt have it. I figured I must have dropped it but I was not sure so I went back to the shop and demanded to know where my change was (because I just never lose money like that!). The guy behind the counter who served me said he was certain he gave me the change. I still was not convinced but got a tad annoyed when he asked me whether I had 'thrown it in the bin?'. So I asked for the manager then and he came out. I told him I was missing change (alot of change).........he seemed eager to help and said he would check the camera after I had asked him to. He did but he did not let me see it. He said he could 'burn' a copy of it for me by tomorrow. I was a bit confused as to why he just could not show me there and then. I told him to go back and check what pocket I put the change in. He did (AFAIK) and told me the back left pocket. 'Fair enough, sorry for the misunderstanding, I must have dropped it' I said.

I was unhappy that he would not let me see the video there and then. Is this right? Should he have showed me? Should I have been more forth right? Its just I never lose money like that. Needless to say I was/am angry at myself.

I think now that maybe I did just drop it but I saw no sign of it retracing my steps over and over again.

Anyone else lose money like this walking back from the shop? Any particularly large amounts where you just dont know how the fupp you lost it without noticing? (when your sobber and not drunk!) Arghhhhhhhh:( Its not the amount btw - just the sense that someone else probrably has your money that gets to you because of your own stupidness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

No, he should not have shown you the camera footage there and then- it's an invasion of privacy for other customers and could incriminate them, or inconvenient for them to do so at that time (It may not be possible technically to do so, or they may have other things to be doing). The footage probably won't do you much good at any rate.

I hate losing stuff. I'd prefer being robbed. At least then I can blame someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

might be worth sugesting to see if they have a differnece in e35 when they balance the till

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Karoma wrote: »
    No, he should not have shown you the camera footage there and then- it's an invasion of privacy for other customers and could incriminate them, or inconvenient for them to do so at that time (It may not be possible technically to do so, or they may have other things to be doing). The footage probably won't do you much good at any rate.

I hate losing stuff. I'd prefer being robbed. At least then I can blame someone else.

I see where your coming from. Strongly doubt I was pick pocketed though. I did put the money into my back pocket however! Your right btw I would feel better if someone just robbed it!

irish-stew wrote: »
    might be worth sugesting to see if they have a differnece in e35 when they balance the till

The manager checked the camera - says it showed clearly I was given the change (the shop is local and im well known there by the manager though not personally) - Should I have asked him to count the till after he was so adament the camera showed me recieving all the change? Probrably but I was aggitated and in a hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

In the shop I work, the only way for you to check the camera would be to go in the back room. That's where the safe is, and that's where people count money. People aren't just allowed in there. There are many reasons why you shouldn't be allowed just watch security tapes.

Best thing to do would probably be the above and ask if the tills were up by €35 when they balance them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

darkman2 wrote: »
    I see where your coming from. Strongly doubt I was pick pocketed though. I did put the money into my back pocket however! Your right btw I would feel better if someone just robbed it!

It didn't occur to me that you might have been. I just really hate losing stuff. They'll check the float after closing anyway + give you the footage tomorrow, so you'll know what's what (Provided the camera actually covered it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If you're so concerned then just get him to 'burn' you a copy and watch it yourself. I'm sure it woulda been handier for all and sundry if he just brought you in, but for whatever reason he didn't. It's not like he's hiding the video from you -- he offered you a copy.

It sucks losing money though. I once went to the bank to lodge a cheque for my mother. I made a mistake on one quick lodge envelope, so did another one and put the cheque in and dropped the envelope in the chute. Got a call when I got home to say there was no cheque in the envelope. Had to go back to the bank and in the bin outside, I had put the envelope with the cheque in it. I had obviously put the wrong one in the chute. Silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

They're not gonna let Joe Bloggs off the street into their security room where they keep all their money, especially an angry Joe Bloggs demanding money when he doesn't even know if he is owed it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i found 35 euro today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Sounds like your own fault really, don't be distracted when buying things in a shop :) If you crashed your car on the way home, it wouldn't really be a great excuse.

Anyway, you can get your burned copy and be happy from there that you dropped it somewhere, and that someone else had a great day due to finding €35.

Oh, and asking them to tally up the till there and then is a bit cheeky, it's a big bunch of hassle for a small shop as the till has some down time and a new float needs to be prepared, + they're always usually out by a few euro either way, items not being scanned/scanned twice, change being miscounted(but at least given).

I'm sure the manager would have loved to tell you to feck off, but was doing the "right" thing from the shops point of view in not aggravating you further for your own mistake.

• Advertisement

Thats what I thought and anyway im in the shop nearly every day for one thing or another so they know me well there. I doubt the manager of the shop would want me to stop shopping there for the sake of 35 euros. Im sure I dropped it. Fuppin kickin myself. I will be much more astute in future thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, the shop has no obligation to show you any footage and to do so would, as pointed out, have possible privacy ramifications. The security room wouldn't necessarily contain any money, but would be in the back area of the store where no-one but staff should enter. For security reasons obviously.

You sound like you were a bit of a nightmare for staff who were decent to you tbh. The guy at the checkout actually remembered you and then you got angry at him when he offered a reasonable explanation - many people scrunch up their receipts and notes together and on occasion throw it in the bin, forgetting that their cash is inside. Then you asked for the manager anyway. Most normal people would have left it at that and chalked it up to stupidity.

Unless there are very extreme circumstances* a shop won't cash up a till for you on the spot. They'll note your name, the till and the amount and if there's a similar over at the end of day, they'll give you your money.

You'll probably find your €35 at some point in two month's time, just when you need it. Great feeling that.

*Only two I can think of - a foreign "passer-by" and about £30 and a woman who claimed she had given us £100 too much money without getting change. Turned out she left it in her car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

and when I got home I routed around for my change - I didnt have it. I figured I must have dropped it but I was not sure so I went back to the shop and demanded to know where my change was (because I just never lose money like that!).

Most places have a check your change sign in the store - I'm surprised you were even entertained by the manager after you'd been home and then were impolite to the clerk. So, in future, check your change, be nice.

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, the shop has no obligation to show you any footage and to do so would, as pointed out, have possible privacy ramifications. The security room wouldn't necessarily contain any money, but would be in the back area of the store where no-one but staff should enter. For security reasons obviously.

You sound like you were a bit of a nightmare for staff who were decent to you tbh. The guy at the checkout actually remembered you and then you got angry at him when he offered a reasonable explanation - many people scrunch up their receipts and notes together and on occasion throw it in the bin, forgetting that their cash is inside. Then you asked for the manager anyway. Most normal people would have left it at that and chalked it up to stupidity.

Unless there are very extreme circumstances* a shop won't cash up a till for you on the spot. They'll note your name, the till and the amount and if there's a similar over at the end of day, they'll give you your money.

You'll probably find your €35 at some point in two month's time, just when you need it. Great feeling that.

*Only two I can think of - a foreign "passer-by" and about £30 and a woman who claimed she had given us £100 too much money without getting change. Turned out she left it in her car.

I didnt openly show my anger though. I did not get ratty or anything lke that. Naturally though I was flustered. I would never act like that without a good reason - get visibly angry that is. I was content though that I did indeed drop the money when I left the shop. What I meant was the implication that I 'threw it in the bin?' - the tone of how that was said. No harm though. Its grand now.

Anyway I was just asking for other similar experiences others may have had losing cash primarilly to make me feel better:)

BTW at no stage was I ever rude or impolite to the shop assistant. In fact the whole thing was quite friendly - a misunderstanding. Its easy though to say 'dont be rude' when its not you in that exact situation. (eve though they did nothing wrong!)lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I work in a take away place, and last night one of the delivery lads came back looking all pissed off. He'd given a 20 in change instead of a 5. 15 euros is a big hit to take when you make no more than 80 in a night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

obl wrote: »
    I work in a take away place, and last night one of the delivery lads came back looking all pissed off. He'd given a 20 in change instead of a 5. 15 euros is a big hit to take when you make no more than 80 in a night...

That sucks that someone wouldn't get back to him. I always give back money when I've been given the wrong change. I don't need the money (I have my own job), certainly not at the expense of someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

He came back at about 10 o'clock, when my shift finished, so maybe someone did call back. They usually do.

One thing I hate is when a customer loses something, said object gets picked up by another customer, and then the former gives out to us about it.

We can't stop items being stolen. We can't control people. If we find it, sure, we'll have it in lost&found, or return it to them directly, otherwise, there aint much we can do, so stop annoying us about it.

[/rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭curiosity

Eh, it happens to plenty of us (I'm sure just as many never have it happen). Anytime I'd think I lost a few bob, I'd do the usual, retrace steps etc, if twas less than 20 euro I wouldn't bother asking in a shop. I left a few quid behind at the Tesco self service checkout a while ago, the girl checked the book (they keep a book for that!!), the amount was there, right time all, reunited with my money.

It's annoying because it's pure mental frailty that makes us lose it. "Arrgh, why didn't I check when I got my change, ah cripes, I probably only half shoved it in my pocket!!!"

Chalk it down to experience, learn your lesson, hope someone nice got a smile out of finding your cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Why were you such a prick to the people working in the shop if you thought you dropped the cash yourself? Its hardly their fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I didnt openly show my anger though. I did not get ratty or anything lke that. Naturally though I was flustered. I would never act like that without a good reason - get visibly angry that is. I was content though that I did indeed drop the money when I left the shop. What I meant was the implication that I 'threw it in the bin?' - the tone of how that was said. No harm though. Its grand now.

Anyway I was just asking for other similar experiences others may have had losing cash primarilly to make me feel better:)

BTW at no stage was I ever rude or impolite to the shop assistant. In fact the whole thing was quite friendly - a misunderstanding. Its easy though to say 'dont be rude' when its not you in that exact situation. (eve though they did nothing wrong!)lol.
    -
    I figured I must have dropped it but I was not sure so I went back to the shop and demanded to know where my change was (because I just never lose money like that!). The guy behind the counter who served me said he was certain he gave me the change. I still was not convinced but got a tad annoyed when he asked me whether I had 'thrown it in the bin?'

So you 'figured I must have dropped it' but still went back to the shop and gave it to the Shop Assistant with both barrels and demanded to know where your change was. Unless he sneered at you with a derisive 'maybe you threw it in the bin...hehe' then you were a classic nightmare of a customer and the way you dealt with the matter OTT. In your initial post it sounds like you had an accusatory tone. You're lucky you weren't shown the door tbh. Even if you had been short changed why does everyone assume the shop assistant was trying to rob them?? Aren't we allowed honest mistakes?

If it had have been me serving you, with the way it sounds like you acted you would have got the door. If you had have come in and said, "hows it goin, I was in a few minutes ago and I'm not sure if you gave me my change or whether I dropped it, is there any chance you could look at the security tapes to put my mind at ease". Well then I would have happily done what the shop manager in question did. No more, no less. So you got treated like a nice customer even though you went about it the most obnoxious ignorant way possible. Lucky You!! And guess what, after looking at the tapes, if they were inconclusive and there was any doubt remaining, it would be the nice person who would get the benefit of the doubt and would get the money, not the ignorant customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

They are not obliged to show you shop footage. What did you expect the manager to say, "I'm sorry you are so careless sir here have the 35 euro from our till".

It is very much your own fault for not checking your change/ keeping track of how much you've spent.

Calibos wrote: »
    -

So you 'figured I must have dropped it' but still went back to the shop and gave it to the Shop Assistant with both barrels and demanded to know where your change was. Unless he sneered at you with a derisive 'maybe you threw it in the bin...hehe' then you were a classic nightmare of a customer and the way you dealt with the matter OTT. In your initial post it sounds like you had an accusatory tone. You're lucky you weren't shown the door tbh. Even if you had been short changed why does everyone assume the shop assistant was trying to rob them?? Aren't we allowed honest mistakes?

If it had have been me serving you, with the way it sounds like you acted you would have got the door. If you had have come in and said, "hows it goin, I was in a few minutes ago and I'm not sure if you gave me my change or whether I dropped it, is there any chance you could look at the security tapes to put my mind at ease". Well then I would have happily done what the shop manager in question did. No more, no less. So you got treated like a nice customer even though you went about it the most obnoxious ignorant way possible. Lucky You!! And guess what, after looking at the tapes, if they were inconclusive and there was any doubt remaining, it would be the nice person who would get the benefit of the doubt and would get the money, not the ignorant customer.

I was not rude or ignorant so whats your point? BTW if I was short changed or thought I was the last thing I would say is 'I think I might have dropped it' lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Romero

back pockets are dodgy for storing money documents etc, they have a tendency to slip out if your walking or sitting down in a car, I got on a bus recently and when I sat down I saw a lotto ticket & scratch card on the floor, i said to myself they look familiar checked back pocket and it was empty they had slipped out! lost some payslips that I didn't find must have fell out while walking to bus, felt sick about it though as don't like losing anything, so I dont store anything in backpocket now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I was not rude or ignorant so whats your point?
    I went back to the shop and demanded to know where my change was (because I just never lose money like that!).

Tha is a bit ignorant imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Its just 35 euro ffs.

So no need getting narky with the staff or demanding a view of the CCTV footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Ah I hate customers like that 'You didn't give me that 10!!! You only gave me the 20 I'M OWED 30!!'...then someone in the queue will point to a tenner on the floor that the customer dropped. It's just about impossible to forget to give someone change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Im confused about something.. do you go around with your cash in your pockets? I mean do you not use a wallet? Makes life so much easier, cash and cards in the wallet, wallet is a little bulky so i will notice if its no longer there. When you get change, it goes in the wallet at the till.

you can lose money from your back pocket simply by walking... Worst place for anything is your back pocket.

Corruptedmorals its not impossible... Some people might do it on purpose, there is a thread about it happening at some well known bar in Dublin.
    Also I have got €20 cash back from laser and been about to walk away when i realise i have not been given it yet.. Cashier forgets to give it... Thats why a lot of places get you to sign for it that you actually have it.. but not everyone does.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Saruman wrote: »
    Some people might do it on purpose, there is a thread about it happening at some well known bar in Dublin.
    In a supermarket though it's a rare occurence. Your customers are sober and generally trying to watch their pennies. If someone was making a habit of short-changing people and pocketing the difference, they'd be found out as soon as the second complaint came in.
    Even if I suspected I'd been short-changed, I wouldn't blaze in with accusations and I probably would say, "Maybe I dropped it" to put them at ease. Dealing properly with people works both ways and not just cashier > customer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement