Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking Down the Xmas Tree

Options
  • 06-01-2008 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey sorry if this is the wrong forum but its the most general one I could find. I did a search as well but couldn't find an answer to my Q.

I would like to leave my lovely purply tree up for another few weeks but something cob webby in the back of my mind tells me there is some old superstition about this.

Am I right that you are supposed to take it down on the 6th?
    What wicked things will befall me if I leave it up? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

A foul and wicked stench shall fill the house - but, it'll be a mysterious smell! *waves hands*

"1648 'Ceremony upon Candlemas Eve' Down with the Holly, Ivie, all, Wherewith ye drest the Christmas Hall: That so the superstitious find. No one least Branch there left behind: For look how many leaves there be Neglected there... So many Goblins you shall see.

1864 If every remnant of Christmas decorations is not cleared out of church before Candelmas-Day there will be a death that year in the family occupying the pew where a leaf or berry is left. An old lady whom I knew used to send her servant on Candlemas-eve to see that her own seat at anyrate was thoroughly freed from danger.

1923 If you keep up Christmas decorations after the Twelfth Night it's bad luck all the year.

1986 I really worry if I haven't cleared away every trace of Christmas by Twelfth Day - decorations, cards, everything."
    http://www.globalpsychics.com/amusing-you/superstition/christmas.shtml

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,012 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Socky72 wrote: »
    Hey sorry if this is the wrong forum but its the most general one I could find. I did a search as well but couldn't find an answer to my Q.

I would like to leave my lovely purply tree up for another few weeks but something cob webby in the back of my mind tells me there is some old superstition about this.

Am I right that you are supposed to take it down on the 6th?
    What wicked things will befall me if I leave it up? :confused:

You're not 'supposed' to take it down on any date, its just traditional that its taken down on the last day of Christmas, Jan 6.

Other than looking like a saddo, nothing much is going to happen to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Socky72

:D

hey but as I look out my window all the apartments around me still have their lights on xmas trees an all!

Its so much work to take it all down and I am kind of in denial that Christmas is over but suppose I will have to do it sometime!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I could not wait to take my tree and decorations down. Hate Christmas, bah humbug ! Delighted to rid the house of clutter, looking forward to Spring.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I couldn't wait to see it get taken down today. It's fairly bloody pointless putting one up in my house because nobody every puts anything under it for fear of my nephew opening everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

took it down this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

How many days in Christmas?

So if 25th Dec is the first, which is the last?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

have jsut taken mine down, havent managed to get it in the attic jsut yet, maybe tomorrow:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Socky72

Grouchy me :(

I took it down.

I miss it already :o

Oh this is a good forum too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I always miss the tree once it goes down as it means the best time of year is over.

I still haven't gotten over old '94. :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Today is the last day, so it is still Christmas, so take it down on the 7th. Of course some people and shops have everything down long ago now. They are often the ones that put it all up long before Christmas starts and take it down long before it ends. Once we pass midnight there should be nothing more about Christmas until December 1st. The shops won't sell any less if they began advertising then. Most people aren't even close to starting their shopping at that point, so it is more than time enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

irishbird wrote: »
    have jsut taken mine down, havent managed to get it in the attic jsut yet, maybe tomorrow:rolleyes:

It's not a tree then, just a piece of plastic.
    Artificial trees make baby Jesus cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

could be a real tree... not the best idea to stick it in the attic if it a real tree though

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

sorry allow me to re-phase creepy, i havent got around to putting the decorations in the attic. obviously are you just jealous that your cardbox does have an attic:p

Sorry, yes, i know keep it in the thunderdome

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

all the decorations on my tree have been taken down since friday :( but the trees not gone

Is it true that the 12 days of christmas start on christmas day?

If thats the case, who thought of giving someone a freakin' patridge in a pear tree as a gift??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

Flukey wrote: »
    Today is the last day, so it is still Christmas, so take it down on the 7th.

Yup that's the way things are done down the country - I'd even go so far as to say here it's frowned upon to take the crib/tree/decorations down any time before the 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Tomorrow is Orthodox Christmas. If you love it so much, pretend you're a Russian immigrant and keep it up til the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Socky72 wrote: »
    Its so much work to take it all down and I am kind of in denial that Christmas is over but suppose I will have to do it sometime!!!

Pfft! My sister managed to take ours down in about 10 minutes and she was working around my brother who decided to unpack after a week's holiday next to the tree, and me, who decided to pack all my worldly possessions to bring back to college next to the tree.

However, my sister is a freakishly efficient when it comes to cleaning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

jos28 wrote: »
    I could not wait to take my tree and decorations down. Hate Christmas, bah humbug ! Delighted to rid the house of clutter, looking forward to Spring.......

I don't understand this attitude. Christmas is the only good thing about winter - otherwise it'd be even more miserable. If you're looking forward to spring so much, then surely a part of you must be thankful for xmas for making winter that little bit less sh!t. Besides that, there's the days off work, the drinking sessions etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

While out walking today, I saw numerous cars with Christmas trees attached to their roofs (or, in one case, trailing behind the car on the road, held by a piece of rope).
    It seems lots of people did the clean out today but I'm holding off until tomorrow evening as this is the 12th day and the tree deserves to be up. Plus, I'm feeling lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭indiana jones

took it down today. but its been decorationless for about 4 days. it was a really big real tree and i couldnt get it out the door so i had to cut lots of branches off it with a pliars type thing i found in the house.it came wraped in netting so i never thought about this. pain in the ass. its outside the back door plus too black bags of branches and i dont know what to do with it? also we just got a kitten this yr and it spent its time in the tree. it could climb to the top and knocked all the balls off it and go to the toilet in the stand. also pain in the ass. it was the tree from hell. defo atifical next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

davyjose wrote: »
    I don't understand this attitude. Christmas is the only good thing about winter - otherwise it'd be even more miserable. If you're looking forward to spring so much, then surely a part of you must be thankful for xmas for making winter that little bit less sh!t. Besides that, there's the days off work, the drinking sessions etc.

I don't really mind winter, it's Christmas I hate. Weeks of shopping, buying presents for people I don't see all year (in-laws) and having to pretend to be delighted to see them. Cleaning, cooking,....oh what fun. I only get 2 or 3 days off work.That's why I am a grumpy old bi*** at Christmas.
    I am a really nice person the rest of the year-honest !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Our tree came down on Monday. It was then brought down to the back of the garden, where it was stripped down. We'll use it for firewood in time, once it dries out and seasons. It is what we do with our tree every year. A form of recycling or re-use it could be called. We even take a neighbour's tree too. We have an open fire in the house, so any fuel like that is good to have when it is ready. I wouldn't mind having some of those trees tied on to cars and being brought off to be dumped, as we can definitely put them to good use. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Mines still standing proud, decorations and all.
    When I take it down this weekend I fully intend in taking it away via the genius method below.
    ixoy wrote: »
    Or, in one case, trailing behind the car on the road, held by a piece of rope).

Pine needles on my good boot carpet, pah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Yeah I totally forgot about this "tradition" until the missus said it to me on Tuesday. Meh, feckin tradition/superstition. I'll take it down over the weeked and some stage! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Our tree came down on 2nd Jan, we got pretty sick of it, it was fierce droopy and dying (dead). RIP tree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Took ours down on New years day, for the simple reason, if i did not then i might have left it for a few weeks... and i wanted the space back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

kyub wrote: »
    Yeah I totally forgot about this "tradition" until the missus said it to me on Tuesday. Meh, feckin tradition/superstition. I'll take it down over the weeked and some stage! :)

the tree tradition is pagan anyway, yizzer all goin to hell!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Cathooo wrote: »
    Our tree came down on 2nd Jan, we got pretty sick of it, it was fierce droopy and dying (dead). RIP tree :D

Bet you put it up silly early though, like 5th December or something rubbish like that.

Advertisement