Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC world repair place

Options
  • 06-01-2008 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Ok, so my friends laptop is due to go into pc world for a health check thing. Thing is, she's worried as one of her programs on her laptop isn't completely legal, and is worried that she'll get in trouble for it? I'm not sure what the story is, but I don't think she has a valid serial number for it.

I don't wanna be banned or anything, but I was wondering if anyone has had experiences like this? Does anyone know if she'll be reported if she goes into pc world? I have told her to get a legal version, or to uninstall it, but out of my own curiosity, I was wondering if anyone knows if PC prosecute or anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

PC World wont care about illegal software on the PC as its not there job to do so. Personally I would avoid the place like the plague but thats my opinion. They'll wipe and reinstall your pc (more than likely) if theres an issue and undoubtidly try to sell you Norton Crap Security 2008 to top it all off.
    Be thee warned.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

I don't imagine that PC Word will give a hoot about the software on the other hand remember what happened to Gary Glitter ? so you never know.

As an aside I would avoid PC world at all costs PC Health Check ? yeh whatever . . . its a ruse to generate income. If you're friend wants her PC looked at there a far better places to go than PC World.

While I'm at it why on earth buy from them ? If I were buying a new PC I'd probably be looking at Dell - I don't know how anywhere can beat the value they're offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

yeah she actually has norton on it, i dont touch norton!!

thanks for the reply tho, wicked! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

XJR wrote: »
    I don't imagine that PC Word will give a hoot about the software on the other hand remember what happened to Gary Glitter ? so you never know.

As an aside I would avoid PC world at all costs PC Health Check ? yeh whatever . . . its a ruse to generate income. If you're friend wants her PC looked at there a far better places to go than PC World.

While I'm at it why on earth buy from them ? If I were buying a new PC I'd probably be looking at Dell - I don't know how anywhere can beat the value they're offering.

Well she bought her laptop there last year and was due a free health check, so she decided to take it in and take advantage of it, see what its like! yeah I don't do dells, because my company bought 3 identical machines from them last year, and they all had different parts from different manufacturers, even though they were supposed to be identical!

subsequently, over last year in 2 of the pcs, different parts mysteriously stopped working and had to be sent back and repaired.

If anything, I'd much rather build my own! Allows you to continuously upgrade and maintain, and you can be sure you're not getting cheapy parts too!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I would consider bringing any computer to PC World for a health check akin to palsy victim doing brain surgery with a pipe wrench to quote Sin City.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Takin a pc to PCWorld for a health check is not a good idea IMHO :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

You would be better off getting a check up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

You're not going to find anyone in here who'll advise taking it to PC World. I don;t think anyone needs to say it again.... :)

More importantly - PC World aren't going to know whether the software is legal or not... It's not as if it has a huge sign on it? Does it...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bet they find something wrong with it that they fix and charge her for.

Also wouldnt touch them.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Dont go for the love of god lol..

seriously ive 2 little stories mine and a friends

Mine was my pc went tits up and nothing would work after the pc booted up brought it to them(we will ring you in about 3 - 4 days) 1 week later no call.. Called them up and they said it was being fixed at the moment we will ring you tomorrow.. several days later no call :rolleyes: Called them up again its still being fixed and might be done by the afternoon we will ring you back.. A few days later and no call! So finally had enough and went down to the shop to find out what was going on.. The guy behind the desk said it hadn't even been looked at yet.. :D

Took the pc outa there went to a small local pc shop in the town run by an old man and a foreign man.. pc fixed in less than a week!

My friends one was his pc wouldnt boot up at all.. it was built from komplett.ie. He gave it to them at PC world and was doing the same thing as me for a month, he went down and they told him the pc was screwed all the parts were like "broke".. He took it away with him and gave it to my friend who had it fixed within an hour.. Simple reformat done the trick..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Bet they find something wrong with it that they fix and charge her for.

Also wouldnt touch them.

kdjac

Agree.....

Brought back a Packard Bell pc that wasnt booting to them years ago and they told me the 2 hard drive's where gone,the motherboard was probably damaged because of it,they wanted €400 to replace the parts...(warranty was up of course)

Had a friend look at it and he put in a new €30 power supply and wholla everything was fine....

As your pc is under warranty Smiley,they probably wont find any hardware faults,just your pc if infected with spyware,you need this firewall,this anti virus etc.....

Advertisement