Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help me

Options
  • 06-01-2008 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

hi, my dad dl a file from a site and each time i go to open any program windows media palyer opens with a screeching noise ! ive tried to run avg but it wont open medis player opens instead so i deleted avt to try install avast and when i dl it media player opens again, my head is wrecked the pc is only 1 month old cost €1500 :( anyone ani ideas the computer runs on vista 32 bit ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

so when you try open ANY program at all, windows media player opens instead and you hear a horrible noise?

sounds wierd...
    restart the computer, go into safe mode.
    see if you can do something there.

did you try delete the file your dad downloaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

i went into safe mode it wont open anything, i cant find the file he dl :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,104 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sounds like all .exe's are instead associated with Media Player. There's a fix script here to correct that.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Spear wrote: »
    Sounds like all .exe's are instead associated with Media Player. There's a fix script here to correct that.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

i opened the link and dl each file and restarted pc still the same :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,104 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

pm. wrote: »
    i opened the link and dl each file and restarted pc still the same :mad:

Eh? What happened when you ran the registry addition file?

• Advertisement

Eh? What happened when you ran the registry addition file?

it wont run, when i type in the command and press enter media player opens again with mad noise, im not really too up on computers could be a job for pc world :(

it wont run, when i type in the command and press enter media player opens again with mad noise, im not really too up on computers could be a job for pc world :(

Type in what command? Just double click the zip to open it, then double click the .reg to run it.

Type in what command? Just double click the zip to open it, then double click the .reg to run it.

ok when i opened the link i got a load of files to open, i opened each one extracted them and ran them nothing happened its still the same. sorry if i sound stupid but is that the right thing to do ?

ok when i opened the link i got a load of files to open, i opened each one extracted them and ran them nothing happened its still the same. sorry if i sound stupid but is that the right thing to do ?

No, you only needed the one for .exe files. When you open it, there's a .reg file inside. Double click and you'll be prompted as to whether or not you want to add the contents to the registry, then choose yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Can you even get Dad to recall the URL of the site?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

It has to be something that's starting when you PC starts.

Try this,

Start
    Run
    Type msconfig & hit enter.
    Click on the Startup TAB.

See if there's anything there that you can stop by removing the Tic mark.

It has all the hallmarks of some sort of Java Script.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Download this & double click it, accept the prompts.

It's the Doug Knox file that was mentioned earlier.

http://www.speedyshare.com/375308238.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Thats a real headwrecker. Kick dad in hole. Should help

I just remember that you are running Vista!

You might find the answer here:
    http://jtbworld.blogspot.com/2007/03/have-you-lost-your-exe-file-extension.html

-

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

It has to be something that's starting when you PC starts.

Try this,

Start
    Run
    Type msconfig & hit enter.
    Click on the Startup TAB.

See if there's anything there that you can stop by removing the Tic mark.

It has all the hallmarks of some sort of Java Script.

-
    not necessarily. i've seen this once before when someone associated all exe's with a particular program. what i did to fix it was associate all exe's with regcleaner so i cold open regcleaner and restore the associations. of course this was only a viable option because he'd caused the problem in the first place with regcleaner

not necessarily. i've seen this once before when someone associated all exe's with a particular program. what i did to fix it was associate all exe's with regcleaner so i cold open regcleaner and restore the associations. of course this was only a viable option because he'd caused the problem in the first place with regcleaner

That's a fair comment, but never the less, he said that media player opens with a screeching noise so there has to be either a sound file of an exe file with the sound incorporated. He will definitely have to reassociate the exe files using the .reg file, he will also need to locate & delete the offending file too.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Try System Restore to a date prior to the file download.

Advertisement